Help me assess issue with Vostok 420007 stoping
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Help me assess issue with Vostok 420007 stoping

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Help me assess issue with Vostok 420007 stoping

I bought my wife a 420007 last September for a Christmas gift the watch. She started wearing it this spring. She was in Brazil through winter so, for safety reasons she did not wear it until march. She claims she wears it everyday. I don't fully believe her. Anyway...

The watch seems to stop running or is losing time. I've manually wound it, thinking that she is either not wearing it enough for it to automatically wind or she dropped it or something. Less likely. I have it under observation but in an hour it has lost a few minutes. and just now the second hand has completely stopped. If I shake it, it starts up again. So, maybe issue with manual winding? and again now, unless I shake it. what could it be?

Clearly title should be "assess"
    Last edited by buddhawake; 1 Week Ago at 18:47.

Quote Originally Posted by buddhawake View Post
    I bought my wife a 420007 last September for a Christmas gift the watch. She started wearing it this spring. She was in Brazil through winter so, for safety reasons she did not wear it until march. She claims she wears it everyday. I don't fully believe her. Anyway...

The watch seems to stop running or is losing time. I've manually wound it, thinking that she is either not wearing it enough for it to automatically wind or she dropped it or something. Less likely. I have it under observation but in an hour it has lost a few minutes. and just now the second hand has completely stopped. If I shake it, it starts up again. So, maybe issue with manual winding? and again now, unless I shake it. what could it be?

Clearly title should be "assess"
    It has probably has nothing to do with the manual or automatic winding. Its hard to diagnose watch issues like that but you can do a few things. 1) when you say Seconds hand stoped: does the watch stoped? Ot the watch is working? Other hands move?
    2) does this slowness/stops happen in any watch position? Try leaving it face down.
    3) does it always stop at the same time (same hour? Or maybe same minute? Or maybe same Second hand position
    4) stops when one hand over the other?
    buddhawake and EndeavourDK like this.

Re: Help me assess issue with Vostok 420007 stoping

Quote Originally Posted by Odessa200 View Post
    It has probably has nothing to do with the manual or automatic winding. Its hard to diagnose watch issues like that but you can do a few things. 1) when you say Seconds hand stoped: does the watch stoped? Ot the watch is working? Other hands move?
    No, everthing stops. Other hands do not move hence the lost of minutes. I checked over a period of a few minute intervals. Like every 15-20 in an hour.
    2) does this slowness/stops happen in any watch position? Try leaving it face down.
    I have not tried leaving it down but will test and report back.
    3) does it always stop at the same time (same hour? Or maybe same minute? Or maybe same Second hand position
    No, not always at the same time. It works for a few hours/most of the day and the hour it stops is random. Today was 10:40am. Yesterday was 8 something (AM) and after I was playing with it, random times.
    Not based on my observations.

Since my original post I re-wound it and set the time and has been sitting at the desk next to me under observation. Been running fine since. Keeping the correct time. My initial gut feeling was that my wife was not wearing it enough to have it wound to last long enough until the next day. like she might take it off to wash dishes or cleaning or who knows even though I told her I didn't have to. But then I wound it today and yesterday. And today various times. So even if I didn't screw it back correctly once or twice... ok. but over the last 3 days??? I will continue to observe. Also, something I did notice occur twice today was that when I was winding it, the second hand did not move. Other times it kept on ticking. My own Vostok watches (I have 4 on rotation) I never noticed that on them. Thanks.
    Last edited by buddhawake; 1 Week Ago at 21:00.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

No, everthing stops. Other hands do not move hence the lost of minutes. I checked over a period of a few minute intervals. Like every 15-20 in an hour.
    I have not tried leaving it down but will test and report back.
    No, not always at the same time. It works for a few hours/most of the day and the hour it stops is random. Today was 10:40am. Yesterday was 8 something (AM) and after I was playing with it, random times.
    Not based on my observations.

Since my original post I re-wound it and set the time and has been sitting at the desk next to me under observation. Been running fine since. Keeping the correct time. My initial gut feeling was that my wife was not wearing it enough to have it wound to last long enough until the next day. like she might take it off to wash dishes or cleaning or who knows even though I told her I didn't have to. But then I wound it today and yesterday. And today various times. So even if I didn't screw it back correctly once or twice... ok. but over the last 3 days??? I will continue to observe. Also, something I did notice occur twice today was that when I was winding it, the second hand did not move. Other times it kept on ticking. My own Vostok watches (I have 4 on rotation) I never noticed that on them. Thanks.
    Keep observing. Based on your description it is not the Hands but a possible issue with the movement. The auto-winding, if works properly, should be able to add enough charge even if watch is taken off. When you manually wind, make sure to wind for at least 25 turns. There will be no ‘stop’ point but if you do 20-25 turns it should fully charge the spring. Then it should work for a full day on the table. If it does not, it needs a service. I hope this helps 🙂
    buddhawake likes this.

Thanks. So it stopped at 4pm. so not long after I replied. I gave it a few shakes now and it wouldn't move, the second hand would not start ticking or anything. Then I wound it and it started going. So, I did as suggested. gave it 25 or so turns. now back to observation. Will report back. Otherwise I may have to send it back to get serviced.

Thanks. So it stopped at 4pm. so not long after I replied. I gave it a few shakes now and it wouldn't move, the second hand would not start ticking or anything. Then I wound it and it started going. So, I did as suggested. gave it 25 or so turns. now back to observation. Will report back. Otherwise I may have to send it back to get serviced.
    Comrade Odessa200 asked you already some very good trouble-shoot questions !

Just trying to get my own head around your problem;

- was the watch brand new when you bought it last September? If so, it should be still under warranty (?)

Winding a Vorstok automatic by hand, via the crown, is the same as if the automatic winding system would do it. As comrade Odessa200 already said there is, unlike with a hand-wound watch, no end-stop to the main-spring. Meaning that if you keep winding the crown there will be no point at which the watch will tell you " okay, I'm fully wound, no further". Instead at a certain point the fully wound spring will start to slip inside the barrel in which it is coiled up. This is a safety-feature for the automatic winding system, fully normal and meant to be. If you keep winding the crown (which can do no harm), when listening carefully you can actually hear when the fully wound spring slips.
    20-25 turns are full revolutions, not winding "strokes" which your fingers, if that makes any sense?
    If you hear the spring slipping, and give the crown a few more "strokes" after that (stop before the spring slips again), then the watch is for sure fully wound. A good functioning watch should thereafter run for at least 30 hrs, or more (36-40 hrs).

If the watch was bought second-hand with an unknown service history, then indeed, like comrade Odessa200 suggested, a service may be due.
    If the watch was bought new, something is up with the watch and you need to contact the seller.
    Last edited by EndeavourDK; 1 Week Ago at 12:30.

Quote Originally Posted by EndeavourDK View Post
    Comrade Odessa200 asked you already some very good trouble-shoot questions !

Just trying to get my own head around your problem;

- was the watch brand new when you bought it last September? If so, it should be still under warranty (?)

Winding a Vorstok automatic by hand, via the crown, is the same as if the automatic winding system would do it. As comrade Odessa200 already said there is, unlike with a hand-wound watch, no end-stop to the main-spring. Meaning that if you keep winding the crown there will be no point at which the watch will tell you " okay, I'm fully wound, no further". Instead at a certain point the fully wound spring will start to slip inside the barrel in which it is coiled up. This is a safety-feature for the automatic winding system, fully normal and meant to be. If you keep winding the crown (which can do no harm), when listening carefully you can actually hear when the fully wound spring slips.
    20-25 turns are full revolutions, not winding "strokes" which your fingers, if that makes any sense?
    If you hear the spring slipping, and give the crown a few more "strokes" after that (stop before the spring slips again), then the watch is for sure fully wound. A good functioning watch should thereafter run for at least 30 hrs, or more (36-40 hrs).

If the watch was bought second-hand with an unknown service history, then indeed, like comrade Odessa200 suggested, a service may be due.
    If the watch was bought new, something is up with the watch and you need to contact the seller.
    Yes is new, so I will be sending back in the next few days/week. As my last post yesterday mentioned, I wound the watch. set it down around 4pm and it stopped at 9:15pm. I have about 10 vostoks, and 4-5 on rotation so I always have to wind them but never had this issue. Which is why at first I thought maybe my wife was not using it long enough through the day for it to auto wind enough to last until next day (even though I assume a few hours of use would give you enough). So I was trying to eliminate possible user errors vs. watch issue. But is just behaving oddly period because on occasion giving a few natural-type shakes as a wrist would do, it will start up again but on others it wouldn't move at all as per my observations later. I'll do some more experimenting/observations this weekend and shoot off an email to seller to start the process. Tonight I will wind and place upside down and check in the morning and report back.

Thanks everyone for the great feedback.
    EndeavourDK and Chascomm like this.

Just to post some more observations. Maybe all this will help someone in the future. Anyway... I did as advised and wound the watch last night and placed it faced down. I did it around 7-8pm, this morning at 6:35am when I checked it was still running with the correct time. When I get home around 2pm (is 8am now) from work I will take another look and keep the patient under observation. Now my question is, why face down? I'm sure is something with gravity... but what else?

The seller, komandirskie, might be on vacation for another week so I have time anyway. I have bought 3 watches from them and this was from my first order. Things, happen and I'm sure is somewhat "normal" as all things mechanical.

Just to post some more observations. Maybe all this will help someone in the future. Anyway... I did as advised and wound the watch last night and placed it faced down. I did it around 7-8pm, this morning at 6:35am when I checked it was still running with the correct time. When I get home around 2pm (is 8am now) from work I will take another look and keep the patient under observation. Now my question is, why face down? I'm sure is something with gravity... but what else?

The seller, komandirskie, might be on vacation for another week so I have time anyway. I have bought 3 watches from them and this was from my first order. Things, happen and I'm sure is somewhat "normal" as all things mechanical.
    Its the balance. It is touching the bridge when face up. This can be fixed by adding a small spacer to lift the bridge up a bit if there is nothing else wrong. It also could be a bit bigger issue (broken jewel on the bridge, etc). It also can be the Seconds hand drive (and how it is held in place by the hockey stick spring): if the spring does not have enough tension it can cause this. Send it back. Tell the seller it only runs face down. The master will see the problem right away.
    Last edited by Odessa200; 1 Week Ago at 16:22.
    buddhawake, EndeavourDK and 24h like this.

Just for a follow up on the troubleshooting. Checked the watch yesterday at 1pm when I got home. Running on time. Again at 11pm, and again this morning at 7:25am. Working and showing correct time while face down. Maybe in the future if someone has a similar problem this will help. Thanks again guys.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information