Help with Raketa College problem - Unable to set time

Thread: Help with Raketa College problem - Unable to set time

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help with Raketa College problem - Unable to set time

Hello everyone, I have just started getting into soviet watch and just receive a very nice Raketa College perpetual calendar watch with a 2628 h movement. I was setting up the day after opening the package and it stopped working with a turn or two. Now when I pull the crown and turn, it doesn’t adjust the time at all. Anybody has an idea? The sellers said the watch was serviced. If I turn the other way, part of the crown unscrew and separate from the stem.

Thank you for the help!

To give more info, if I put the crown in time set mode by pulling the crown and turn clockwise, the crown unscrew and separate as shown in this picture. I can get the hand to move a notch or two something if im lucky and then it unscrew. If I turn anti-clockwise, it either tick like when you wind the watch or spin like in butter. I’m waiting for the answer of the seller but it will cost a lot to ship it back from Canada so hoping its an easy fix as I waited a long time for it to arrive...

Re: Help with Raketa College problem - Unable to set time

It seem I can’t edit my post so here is a picture if it help.

Name:  raketa.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  225.4 KB

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

The problem is simply that the crown is unscrewing from the stem. To fix this, the stem will need to be extracted from the watch and the crown screwed in with a tiny bit of adhesive and then the stem reinserted. It is a simple, quick and cheap job for your local watchmaker.
    Chascomm
    Moderator, Russian Watches & Chinese Mechanical Watches Forums
    (no, I am not going to list all my watches here)

Thank you for the info. Is it possible to add a drop of adhesive inside the crown’s threads and screw it back on the stem without accessing the movement and extracting the stem by any chance?

Thanks!

phd

That should be possible. You'd want to use a pin to put a *tiny* drop of thread-lock adhesive in the crown.

But you should first check that this is the only problem. You said pulling and turning the crown did not set the time? If so, it's possible that the keyless works (the mechanism that winds the watch and sets the time; and also advances the date on this type of watch) is faulty. To test this, first screw the crown on (no glue needed). Then with the crown pressed fully "in", turning it clockwise should wind the watch (unless it is already fully wound). Pull the crown out one click, and now turning it clockwise should set the time (turning it anticlockwise, of course, will just unscrew the crown again, until it's glued). If you pull the crown out one more click, it should move the date forward by one day and then return to the "time setting" position.

If all of the above works OK, then it's just a loose crown and you can very carefully glue it back. But if the above doesn't work, you have a problem with the keyless works that needs fixing (and it's likely that the crown unscrewed because the keyless works were jammed in some way).

Paul
    The only thing that saves us from the bureaucracy is its inefficiency - McCarthy

Thanks for the info. I am able to wind it and change the date number by pulling the pin. If I screw the crown as much as I can in position one, pull the pin 1 click and turn the pin clockwise, the hand move a few minute and then the crown start spinning in butter. What is weird is if I left the watch go for a while and try again, I can advance or back the time a tiny bit until it stop moving again. The seller seem to think it need a new stem and crown and offered to send me the part but I am not convinced.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyV View Post
    Thanks for the info. I am able to wind it and change the date number by pulling the pin. If I screw the crown as much as I can in position one, pull the pin 1 click and turn the pin clockwise, the hand move a few minute and then the crown start spinning in butter. What is weird is if I left the watch go for a while and try again, I can advance or back the time a tiny bit until it stop moving again. The seller seem to think it need a new stem and crown and offered to send me the part but I am not convinced.
    I am with you: not convinced. It maybe just that. But there maybe other issues. If the threads are stripped you would not be able to wind the watch. If you are able to wind the watch but unable to change time, to me it looks like there is something else going on. If you can return the watch: do it. This watch is super common and you should be able to find a new one easily. If you cannot return, try getting a new stem/crown.

It look like it can’t even be wound now. I tought it was but now that the watch stopped turning,if I try to wind it the crown doesn’t turn and you feel resistance and stay where it is. I would return it but I bet I’ll have to pay return shipping and it will easily cost half of what I paid as shipping from Canada isn’t cheap like it seem to be in the US. I know the watch is fairly common but it took me a while to find one in that condition in the price range I paid. I’m doubting that it is just the crown/stem needing to be replace and look more like a keyless issue (with y very limited knowledge and what I have read). Now the question is, can keyless be reset on a 2628 h without too much knowledge and experience...

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyV View Post
    It look like it can’️t even be wound now. I tought it was but now that the watch stopped turning,if I try to wind it the crown doesn’️t turn and you feel resistance and stay where it is. I would return it but I bet I’️ll have to pay return shipping and it will easily cost half of what I paid as shipping from Canada isn’️t cheap like it seem to be in the US. I know the watch is fairly common but it took me a while to find one in that condition in the price range I paid. I’️m doubting that it is just the crown/stem needing to be replace and look more like a keyless issue (with y very limited knowledge and what I have read). Now the question is, can keyless be reset on a 2628 h without too much knowledge and experience...
    The trickiest part will be that you will need to take the hands and the dial off before you can reach keyless. It is not the hardest part of the watch but if this is your 1st try it will not be easy. Plus you need tools (small screw drivers especially for the dial screws, tools to take off hands and to press them back, magnification). Can you open the watch and send us some good photos. Maybe we can spot something....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information