Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Chascomm
  • 1 Post By larsp
  • 2 Post By Kamburov
  • 2 Post By larsp

Thread: How to disassemble this Slava?

How to disassemble this Slava?

Hi Watchuseek forum!

Does anyone know how to disassemble this Slava?

Name:  front.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  1.18 MB
    Name:  side.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  651.1 KB
    Name:  mvmt1.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  1.20 MB
    Name:  mvmt2.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  1.37 MB
    Name:  mvmt3.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  1.11 MB

I know how to remove the stem, but I have no idea how to progress from there. It seems the movement can't get through the back as the holding ring is part of the case. Does it have to get out through the front? Maybe the case can be split in two?

The movement has the slipping clutch problem common to Slava 2414's where the hour and minute hands just stop at about 22 pm while the seconds keep moving. I know people say the clutch parts? have to be replaced, but in the spirit of nothing-to-loose all-to-gain, I want to try and clean the clutch surfaces and maybe sand them ever so slightly. I'm thinking there's got to be a way to make them stick more, maybe even coating one of the surfaces or adding a very thin washer.

I am totally new to watch servicing, and you guys are probably cringing at these ideas, but, the movement is worthless anyway, so it's just for the fun of it and to get my feet wet taking apart a movement

Lars

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Re: How to disassemble this Slava?

It's a top-loader. You'll need to get a knife under the edge of the bezel to remove the bezel and crystal together. Movement and dial will come out the top. Then again, I've just noticed those screw tabs holding the movement to the case. You will need to remove those probably before removing the bezel.

...on second thoughts, don't listen to me. Wait for an expert.
    larsp likes this.
    Chascomm
    Moderator, Russian Watches & Chinese Mechanical Watches Forums
    (no, I am not going to list all my watches here)

Thanks for the reply, yes, it seems very plausible it's a top-loader, though I didn't know such a thing existed before now :)

I'll get a knife out and carefully try to pry the case open from the groove in the side. I think it's possible without releasing the screw tabs. I'll report back

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Screw tabs? You will have to loosen the two screws that secure the movement to the case. I usually just remove them along with the tabs if they're still present. Also, there's an indent on the bezel for you to insert your case knife. Are you trying to repair a winding problem? That's very common with these movements.

The case popped open after using a knife as described:

Name:  open.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  328.3 KB

The winding works fine. The problem, as I described in the first post, is that the hours and minutes stop moving at about 10 pm while the seconds keep going.

I'm just fooling around with cheap old watches here. I bought this one in a market in Sofia, Bulgaria for not much at all and I have a bunch of other dirty old russian watches I want to try and service. But I'm a total beginner and am still waiting for the watch repair tools I ordered to arrive.
    Chascomm likes this.

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Cannon pinion repair will require the removal of the dial. I wonder if the dial can be removed with the movement remaining in the case? This would reduce the risk of dust in the workings.
    Chascomm
    Moderator, Russian Watches & Chinese Mechanical Watches Forums
    (no, I am not going to list all my watches here)

No short cuts, I'm afraid - the two screw tabs to release it from the case, then two screws on the side to release the dial feet.
    After the winding spring issue, the cannon pinion issue is the second most common for Slava.
    Good luck!
    Ivan
    Chascomm and larsp like this.

I got my tools and dived into the work last night and I can proudly say that I managed to fix the slipping cannon pinion issue :) without wrecking anything. That is, I miraculously managed to find all of the parts that went flying through the air :D

Yes, there were no shortcuts. Reading this post was essential to prepare for what was ahead: forums dot watchuseek dot com /f10/slava-2414-annoying-russian-machine-4038282.html

My toolkit: amazon dot co dot uk /155pcs-Removal-Adjustment-Remover-Watchmaker/dp/B00BVG3JMS/ is... not great, but okay to start with I guess, because of the diversity of things you get. But the tools are of low quality. The smallest screwdriver was not small enough to fit the tiny screws in the side of the movement to release the dial, so I filed one of the punch tools with the right diameter into a screwdriver. It worked quite well actually. The screwdrivers in the kit are not hardened and not that well machined, so they all benefited from a bit of filing.

About the cannon pinion issue, or the clutch as the Slava 2414 is a bit different... When I got to it, it clearly looked dirty and contaminated with oil, so I took it apart and cleaned it with a degreaser liquid, and when assembling I turned the gear the opposite way to get a new clutch surface. It did the trick! There is a lot more resistance when setting the time, and back hacking works now. Before, the hands just moved backwards without affecting the seconds. And I have now seen the movement advance the date on it's own, so I declare success on this repair.

Reassembly was tricky. I'd say one of the hardest parts was to get the watch hands on again, correctly aligned and without damaging anything.

I'm going to make a picture blog post about this repair at some point.

(Sorry, I had to mangle the URLs as my post count is apparently too low to post links...)
    Kamburov and Chascomm like this.

I also totally ruined a movement yesterday... I tried to service a победа with a not very healthy k-26 movement. It simply stopped ticking from time to time. My mistake was, I guess, to use too strong chemicals on parts with jewels. I am using Liqui Moly Air Flow Sensor Cleaner to clean with (in lack of alternatives). It is made to remove grease and dirt from car air flow sensors, which are very delicate, and to leave absolutely no residue. It seems to work well on gears, but it caused at least one the jewel bearings to fuse! The hole in the middle was simply not there anymore, so I could not fit the gear at all and ended up breaking an axle.

Quote Originally Posted by larsp View Post
    It seems to work well on gears, but it caused at least one the jewel bearings to fuse! The hole in the middle was simply not there anymore
    Just realized it might be because I confused the gears and their orientation in the heat of the night... needs further investigation

Thread Information