ID on a soviet-era watch I inherited from my uncle?
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By NederenNicholas
  • 2 Post By Kamburov
  • 1 Post By NederenNicholas

Thread: ID on a soviet-era watch I inherited from my uncle?

ID on a soviet-era watch I inherited from my uncle?

Hey fellows,

My uncle passed recently and left me this watch. He traveled extensively in Russia both pre and post Soviet, and I have no idea when he might have acquired it. The number on the back is 785310 if that's any help. I don't read cyrillic, and sadly don't have a magnifying glass, so I cant really read the text on the front.

I'd appreciate any help with identification - thank you in advance.

Name:  Ur.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  57.7 KBName:  Ur1.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  53.6 KBName:  UrBackside.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  43.8 KB
    TimeEgg likes this.

Re: ID on a soviet-era watch I inherited from my uncle?

Sorry to hear about your uncle ..... and welcome to the forum !

I've been going through the catalogues and found three "look alike", but so far I haven't found the exact match. I'm sure other other comrades know more / better.
    If in doubt, perhaps a picture of the movement inside will be a great help !
    This is what I found so far:
    Three pictures from the 1980, 1983 and 1990 catalogues respectively.
    Since it has lumed hands and dial, we probably don't talk about the 1980 / 1983 but more like the Komandirskie in the 1990 catalogue ??

Regardless, the watch looks very nice and with 3AKA3 it is a "Military" and with CCCP it places the watch in the Soviet times !!
    Attached Images Attached Images

In the 83-85 catalog. This one is cal. 2234
    Sorry for being laconic, been using the On-Screen keyboard for monts.
    Ivan

Name:  o.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  1.08 MB

PS: My condolences, comrade! Welcome to our friendly community!
    EndeavourDK and capannelle like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Oh, it is beautiful Vostok komandirskie from 80s. As Kamburov already sad, probably 2234 movement. Made by order of Soviet Ministry of defence.

Very nice piece of history.

I have the same, only blue dial.

Take it to watchmaker to relume the hands, clean and oil movement, and wear it in good health.

It will serve You well for decades.

Послато са SM-N950F помоћу Тапатока

Quote Originally Posted by stevarad View Post
    Oh, it is beautiful Vostok komandirskie from 80s. As Kamburov already sad, probably 2234 movement. Made by order of Soviet Ministry of defence.
    Thank you so much for your assistance. Wikipedia tells me that the "3AKA3 OM CCCP" at the bottom means it was exclusively sold to service members, and produced in a somewhat limited quantity. Do you happen to know anything about this? All the sources I dig up are in cyrillic. My mom tells me, that my uncle told her, he bought it on the black market (which I expect was quite a large part of the Soviet economy) is this something you might know about? (long shot but you seem knowledgeable on the subject).

And besides, thank you to EndeavourDK (skud ud Danmark) and Kamburov for your condolences.

Finally, would I be correct to assume it is gold plated?
    haejuk likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by NederenNicholas View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stevarad View Post
    Thank you so much for your assistance. Wikipedia tells me that the "3AKA3 OM CCCP" at the bottom means it was exclusively sold to service members, and produced in a somewhat limited quantity. Do you happen to know anything about this? All the sources I dig up are in cyrillic. My mom tells me, that my uncle told her, he bought it on the black market (which I expect was quite a large part of the Soviet economy) is this something you might know about? (long shot but you seem knowledgeable on the subject).

And besides, thank you to EndeavourDK (skud ud Danmark) and Kamburov for your condolences.

Yes, it is gold plated. Most likely 5 microns cause from the 80. Not super thick but if used carefully will last.

‘Заказ’: yes, originally were made for solders and sold in the military stores (on premises of the military bases). Then they became very popular (ragged, last a while) and were sold everywhere. ‘Заказ’ became part of the trade mark of some sort. A very popular watch (all variants of Komandirskie) in USSR and to these days in Russia.

As far as black market: these watches were always in abundance in stores if i recall it. I had purchased several back then. But people sold and resold them on markets. Back in USSR it was hard to return an item once purchased. Not what we enjoy these days. So if you bought it and changed your mind, or someone gifted you one (a popular gift for men for the Army day) and you do not need it: to the market to sell it 🙂

Not trying to diminish the value of the watch. Just giving you some background... enjoy it!
    Last edited by Odessa200; 1 Week Ago at 01:30.

Quote Originally Posted by NederenNicholas View Post

Yes, gold plated. 3AKA3 MO CCCP mens it is made by order of ministry of defence of Soviet Union . Ususally, for their own specialized store chain for military personnel. It is believed among us that they are also better made, with better QC, compared with watches which are not 3A3AKA3 MO. I do not know is it true or not, but all my 3AKA3 MO watches serve me very well.

Послато са SM-N950F помоћу Тапатока

Thread Information