Imperial coats of arms G.F. Jacot old pocket watch
Like Tree7Likes
  • 7 Post By pmwas

Thread: Imperial coats of arms G.F. Jacot old pocket watch

Imperial coats of arms G.F. Jacot old pocket watch

I got this one locally, in my hometown of Sosnowiec, far West of the former Russian Empire (a place known as Three Emperors' Corner where the three grand European Empires met) at the time this was made.

Name:  DSC01395.JPG
Views: 38
Size:  164.7 KB

It is a fancy, large pocket watch bearing the Russian Imperial eagle on the front lid.
    To tell the truth - I don't know if it was applied at the time this was sold or later, but I don't think it is that important, but I will get back to that later on.

The arrow indicates a resoldered crack in the watch chain (also notice the missing fob), and that means trouble.

In fact - this watch suffered a major, devastating fall at the time, leaving multiple scars on this beautiful piece.

Name:  DSC01401.JPG
Views: 40
Size:  133.1 KB

Except for the crack and missing fob, this chain is missing one piece of white enamel decoration.
    Both lids have repaired hinges as well…

Name:  DSC01403.JPG
Size:  270.0 KB

...and another arrow indicates the site of the blow.
    It was a heavy, massive strike that caused serious deformation to the case, and that caused a slit under the bezel.

Now here's the sad bit of my tale - the watch used to have a very nice, new, savonette type crystal glued in (as it would not sit tight in a bent bezel).
    Unfortunatelty, the crystal fell off and as I was trying to reglue it - it cracked.
    So I used the only match I found in my stock. Scratched and too thick for hunting case watch, but in this thick case it fits all right. Maybe I'll replace it one day.

Name:  DSC01407.JPG
Views: 36
Size:  55.3 KB

Another problem - motion works.
    I don't know if the motion works parts are replaced, but it seems so - the hour hand wheel is askew, so that the hand points up towards the crystal between IX and XI and downwards to the dial on the opposite bit.

Name:  DSC01410.JPG
Views: 37
Size:  212.0 KB

Clearly nothing wrong with the hand, the whole wheel is askew.
    I had to try very hard to achieve clearance for bot the second hand and the minute hand in all positions, breaking the hour hand during numerous adjustments.
    This one you see is a replacement. almost identical, but still a replacement (I did have a bad day that day - broke both crystal and hand, but it was a challenging job). Infact - I think taking off the dial and repairing the motion works would have been a better idea, but I was unwilling to disassemble the watch and.. there you go.

Also notice the cracked front lid where the rim was made to lock again when closed.

That's all for now, but not all of the damage yet. Let's get back to the watch itself.

Name:  DSC01397.JPG
Size:  145.4 KB

It is a large, silver, hunting case pocket watch with the Imperial eagle applied to the front lid.

Name:  DSC01400.JPG
Size:  191.5 KB

The eagle is quite crudely applied using white solder, so I guess it could have been added by the owner later on, but the seller suggests it was a presentation piece.
    Both quite possible, but the eagle is old for sure. Clearly has signs of wear indicating this watch had been worn like that.

Name:  DSC01412.JPG
Size:  148.1 KB

The dial is marked 'Georges Favre Jacot, Locle" in Russian. the dial has multiple cracks (probably caused by the same fall).

Name:  DSC01414.JPG
Size:  145.4 KB

No chips, however, so the conditio is quite good.

On the cuvette there are markings, also in Russian...

Name:  DSC01415.JPG
Size:  136.9 KB

Two medals were gilded, but that's almost off. It is the same set of medals zenith brand shows on their watches, so I suppose this must have been made between 1900-1910 somewhere.

Name:  DSC01416.JPG
Size:  127.2 KB

The back says '23 jewels', indicating highest grade movement GFJ supplied, but - of course - they never had 23 jewels.
    they would have IF the cap jewels were repeated on the dial side and they never are (in fact, sometimes some hole jewels are missing, too)

Name:  DSC01417.JPG
Size:  152.7 KB

The cap jewels used are typical for GFJ (or even most Swiss) watches made for Russian and Turkish market - the hole jewels are typical (oil bowl top side) and just covered with caps. Non functional, probably intended to retain oil and keep dust away.

Name:  DSC01421.JPG
Size:  169.7 KB

The movement has nickel finish with Geneva stripes and some damaskeening to the dial plate (top side).
    The nickel on these movements was thin and always has wear-through spots.
    This one is actually quite well preserved.

Name:  DSC01422.JPG
Size:  154.8 KB

Notice the solder on the center wheel - indicating previous 9and serious) damage.

The movement works quite well, somewhat fast.

All in all - busted but beautiful, high grade GFJ for Russia.
    High grade, yes, as Swiss watches for such markets at the time were technologically inferior to - for example - American mass made watches of the same era.
    I'm very glad I bought it. Not an everyday find for sure :)
    Have a great day!!!

Re: Imperial coats of arms G.F. Jacot old pocket watch

Always a joy to read! Always fascinating!

Notwithstanding the various damages, it appears to be an amazing timepiece. That double eagle is outstanding. The sleigh scene reminds me of several scenes from the movie Dr. Zhivago. Thanks for sharing.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It's a very nice watch with corresponding scars of life

As for the broken hand, not sure if this repair I once did is any use to you

https://www.watchrepairtalk.com/topi...#comment-97269
    “The more I read & learn, the more I realize how little I know. And even what I think I know, I start to doubt"

Nicely done!
    Unfortunately mine broke just at the collet, so tough one. I think I will give it a try, but the replacement is fine as well...
    Have a great day!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pmwas View Post
    Nicely done!
    Unfortunately mine broke just at the collet, so tough one. I think I will give it a try, but the replacement is fine as well...
    I still have the equipment setup, kept it for "just in case" another hand comes up. So you can try it or if you willing to pay postage (up/down) and understand the risk, I can try it?
    However, if you are happy with a replacement, that's fine too
    “The more I read & learn, the more I realize how little I know. And even what I think I know, I start to doubt"

I have once successfully resoldered a smaller hand - the unique lightningbolt second hand for Elgin Electronic. Not much splendor in that, as it was me who broke it 😞
    Have a great day!!!

Congratulations!! its a Stuning pocket watch!!
    Visit my photo album on my profile

https://www.safonagastrocrono.club/ Soviet watches, American railroad pocket watches and many more. Visit us

Lovely find - possibly find a friendly silversmith to work their magic on the case?

Thread Information