Legit Vostok? Identification Help Needed
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Legit Vostok? Identification Help Needed

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Legit Vostok? Identification Help Needed

What do you make of this watch? I found it on Craigslist, but I've never seen a Vostok model like it before.

I searched all over Michele Cuoccio's Russian Watches Website and I saw a few Komandirskie "Chistopol" models with the 3AKA3 MO CCCP markings that looked similar, but not exactly the same. Could it it be a civilian version of that watch?

Legit? Frankenwatch? Replica?

Name:  mysteryVostok2.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  27.6 KBName:  mysteryVostok2.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  33.1 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Dave098; November 15th, 2013 at 19:27. Reason: fixing typo

Re: Legit Vostok? Identification Help Needed

Legit but civilian version in my opinion.
    Dave098 likes this.

Banned

yes. Frankenwatch

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by amil View Post
    yes. Frankenwatch
    Thanks, Amil.

What do you see in the pictures that tells you it's a Frankenwatch?

Banned

Thanks, Amil.

That site was first place I looked to see if I could find that model. I could not. In fact, I couldn't even find that dial. But I did find watches, like the one you point out, that look very similar. So at first, I thought the watch was legitimate.

But as I look more closely, I think I'm starting to understand why you think it's a Frankenwatch.

I hope you and the other experienced Vostok collectors will indulge me as I try playing amateur watch detective. Perhaps you can tell me if I'm on the right track.

So that others don't have to go to Michele's site, I've put together a side-by-side comparison using the images from that site. The watch on the left is the watch I'm trying to identify. The one in the center is the one you cite. The one on the right is the other close match on Michele's site. It has civilian markings on the dial similar to the mystery watch.

First, the dial on the mystery watch is not on Michele's site. Because there are so many Vostok watch dials, I'd guess that fact alone isn't cause for alarm.

To my untrained eye, all three have matching cases and crowns. The hands match except that the second hand on the mystery watch is red, while the others are silver. So at least one of the hands is not an original.

The outer dial (or is it the inner bezel) on the mystery watch -- with the computer-style font -- matches the watch in the center, but the dial itself is a closer match with the watch on the right, which doesn't have the military "3AKA3 MO CCCP" marking. So perhaps that suggests the mystery watch includes parts from both civilian and military versions.

The date display font on the center watch matches the computer-style font on the outer dial, but while the mystery watch also has the computer-style font on the outer dial, the date display uses a regular font. So I'm guessing the movement in the mystery watch has been replaced.

Again, I'm a rank amateur at this stuff, so I'm grateful for the opinions of those who know about this stuff.

Attachment 1283365Name:  vostokComparison.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  234.8 KB
    Last edited by Dave098; November 16th, 2013 at 00:32. Reason: edited to show image in message

The plot thickens...

I just had a brief phone conversation with the guy selling the watch.

He says he's had it for several years and bought it from a friend who in turn got it from his father, who was a Russian immigrant. He says he's selling it because he's not wearing it much these days and isn't bothering to keep it wound and set.

I don't suppose that affects whether the watch was repaired or constructed using other watches -- that could have occurred before it left Russia. But it would suggest the pieces are all contemporary (or at least, not recent).

The design of that watch doesn't make any sense, why have two tracks of hour markers with numbers? Has to be a franken, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by schnurrp View Post
    The design of that watch doesn't make any sense, why have two tracks of hour markers with numbers? Has to be a franken, in my opinion.
    Thanks. That's becoming clear to me now.

Here's the piece of the puzzle I can't figure out (bearing in mind that I have no idea what I'm talking about):

If it is a franken, I should be able to find an image somewhere on the Web of the model that dial was taken from, right?

I've found similar ones, but none like that.

I suppose somebody could have fabricated one, but why do that when Komandirskies are so cheap and plentiful?

Franken or no, I bought the watch today for $25. It's in pretty terrific shape. Photos to come...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information