A Little Confused

Thread: A Little Confused

Question A Little Confused

I've just discovered the world of Russian watches. I really like the look and the price. But my confusion comes from the companies. I read the stickied posts above and though it helped me out, I started to look at websites and I got confused all over again.

An example would be one of the watches that has caught my eye, Buran Russian Poljot. From my understanding it is made by Volmax? Do they put the name Poljot because of the movement? Or another website will say its an Aviator, but listed under Poljot as its manufactory...Is this for the same reason?

Oh, and when they just list "Russian Movement" as compared to specifically listing what movement it has a Poljot, for example, what could it be? Is it just a generic name for a generic movement made there?

This all may seem quite obvious to others, but I'm a little slow catching up here. For all I know I just answered my own questions and if so, I am sorry about that. I always get burned when I assume. Thanks in advance for your patience.
    Order of purchase:
    Tag Heur (midsize quartz)
    Rolex Air-king
    Oakley Small Icon
    Oakley GMT
    Hamilton Khaki GMT
    Maurice Lacroix Masterpiece Reveil Globe
    Archimede Pilot 42mm
    Stowa Marine Original
    Seiko Orange Monster
    Bathys 100 Fathoms (black)
    Volmax Aviator 24hrs
    Orient Blue "Mako"
    Seiko Black SS "Samurai"
    Orient Orange "Mako"
    BFS- SNKF11
    Traser Black Ranger
    Bernhardt Sea Shark Yellow
    Volstok White Radio Room
    Bernhardt Globemaster (Blue & Orange)
    Traser Black Ranger
    Android Ceramic
    Bernhardt Binnacle
    Citizen Eco-Drive Minute Repeater

Re: A Little Confused

Quote Originally Posted by nette View Post
    I've just discovered the world of Russian watches. I really like the look and the price. But my confusion comes from the companies. I read the stickied posts above and though it helped me out, I started to look at websites and I got confused all over again.

An example would be one of the watches that has caught my eye, Buran Russian Poljot. From my understanding it is made by Volmax? Do they put the name Poljot because of the movement? Or another website will say its an Aviator, but listed under Poljot as its manufactory...Is this for the same reason?

Oh, and when they just list "Russian Movement" as compared to specifically listing what movement it has a Poljot, for example, what could it be? Is it just a generic name for a generic movement made there?

This all may seem quite obvious to others, but I'm a little slow catching up here. For all I know I just answered my own questions and if so, I am sorry about that. I always get burned when I assume. Thanks in advance for your patience.
    Well nette, you've got quite a bit of reading to do. There is quite a bit of information on the WUS forums. From the WUS home page select Main Entrance then go to Theme Forums, Articles. There you find some good information on Russian watches. A good one to start with is Strela's Russian Watch Links of Interest and go from there.

Thanks Pete. I appreciate the help. Time to start reading!
    Order of purchase:
    Rolex Air-king
    Oakley Small Icon
    Oakley GMT
    Hamilton Khaki GMT
    Archimede Pilot 42mm
    Stowa Marine Original
    Seiko Orange Monster
    Volmax Aviator 24hrs
    Orient Blue "Mako"
    Seiko Black SS "Samurai"
    Orient Orange "Mako"
    BFS- SNKF11
    Traser Black Ranger
    Bernhardt Sea Shark Yellow
    Volstok White Radio Room
    Bernhardt Globemaster (Blue & Orange)
    Traser Black Ranger
    Android Ceramic
    Bernhardt Binnacle
    Citizen Eco-Drive Minute Repeater

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nette View Post

The names used by retaillers are not always the same as those used by the companies making the watches. However if the ad says both 'Buran' and 'Poljot' you can be confident that the watch was made at the old 1st Moscow Watch Factory.

'Buran' and 'Shturmanskie' were used as brand names by Poljot when it was under state-ownership; and 'Aviator' was used as a Poljot model name shortly before Volmax was formed as a break-away company.

A fair question considering the Soviet central-planning history behind the current Russian watch industry. But in fact, apart from the vintage Type-1 pocket-watch, Pobeda man's wristwatch and Zvezda woman's wristwatch, there have been no other calibres whose tooling was widely distributed across the various manufacturers. Once the factories were well-established, most calibres tended to be proprietory rather than generic.

So whereas there still exists the Chinese Standard watch movement, there is no Russian/Soviet equivalent.

The world of Russian watches is bigger than you might think. We're all learners here.

You're better off than I am. I'm a lot confused! I've read everything I could find over the last few days, and have come to the conclusion that there are few certainties when dealing with current Russian watches. . . Maybe I'll stick with Asian.

Are there any reputable non-authorized resellers of authentic Poljot-Aviator-Buran-Sturmanskie watches? I'm thinking of the Russian equivalent of Ebay seller Pokemonu, if any of you are familiar with him. He sells gray market Asian watches (no box, warranty etc., but still the genuine article).
    Seiko Marinemaster SBDX001
    My Father's Hamilton Khaki Automatic

My Grandfather's Movado Sub Sea Automatic

"That's what character is-It's in the tryin'" Eric Taylor.

Thanks Chascomm! I guess with the generic movement listing I get worried that maybe it's not even a Russian movement.

jwalther- Yeah, I just want to find a reputable seller (authorized and non-authorized). It's rough out there. I want to wade through the Russian watches before I start looking at the Asian timepieces. That would just be too crazy for me.
    Order of purchase:
    Rolex Air-king
    Oakley Small Icon
    Oakley GMT
    Hamilton Khaki GMT
    Archimede Pilot 42mm
    Stowa Marine Original
    Seiko Orange Monster
    Volmax Aviator 24hrs