Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By mxm
  • 2 Post By mattbeme
  • 1 Post By mattbeme

Thread: Mystery single-tab Amphibia case back

Lightbulb Mystery single-tab Amphibia case back

HELP!!!

Hello Comrades!

I recently bought in an russian web site (not meranom) a new 110 Vostok Amphibia as you can see in the pictures.

Like I always do with this kind of diver watches I check how waterproof they are ( i recently checked how tight were the crown and case)

I put this watch under the water and a lot of water came inside... I dried it without problem. I thightened again the case and the crown like I always do. Even the rubber was well fit.

I checked 2 more times and the water came inside again...

I don't know where is the problem.

I notice that the case back has only one tongue ( please see the picture with the description that I drew ) Maybe this is the problem in where the water leaks!!

Anyone can help me?

I bought new rubbers, new crown and a new caseback ! They are in the way from Moscow to Spain... Maybe the problem disappear!!

Last year I fixed and old soviet Amphibia just like this... Changing the rubbers and the crown...

If the problem persists... Should I buy a new whole case?

I prefer to fix by myself instead of sendind back the watch to Russia.

Waiting for your help comrades!!

Oscar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: --- A Guide: Buying / Modifying / Repairing VOSTOK AMPHIBIA ---

Quote Originally Posted by oskita89 View Post
    HELP!!!

Hello Comrades!

I recently bought in an russian web site (not meranom) a new 110 Vostok Amphibia as you can see in the pictures.

Like I always do with this kind of diver watches I check how waterproof they are ( i recently checked how tight were the crown and case)

I put this watch under the water and a lot of water came inside... I dried it without problem. I thightened again the case and the crown like I always do. Even the rubber was well fit.

I notice that the case back has only one tongue ( please see the picture with the description that I drew ) Maybe this is the problem in where the water leaks!!

Anyone can help me?

I bought new rubbers, new crown and a new caseback ! They are in the way from Moscow to Spain... Maybe the problem disappear!!

Last year I fixed and old soviet Amphibia just like this... Changing the rubbers and the crown...

Oscar
    I am anything but an expert, but I don't imagine that tongue on the caseback to be causing your trouble as that is just to help lift the caseback off. It does not come in contact with the rubber seal. You may try adding silicone grease to the seals, including the crown tube threads. If you replace the crown, seals & caseback the only other place of ingress is the crystal. Perhaps it's gasket is missing or there is a defect in the case itself. Best of luck.

mxm

HELP!!!

Hello Comrades!
    Anyone can help me?
    Oscar
    Strange. As far as I now, all Amphibia casebacks have the two tabs, and one tab casebacks are only used on Komandirskies. This could be a problem for the depth rating, but not enough to allow water into the watch submerged in a glass of water. Also, check the rails that press the gasket: Amphibias have two, as opposed to one on Komandirskies. Again, this alters the depth rating and not the water tightness.
    Maybe your caseback is slightly bent or somehow distorted and doesn't sit right on the gasket.
    herdingwetcats likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

mxm

HELP!!!

Hello Comrades!
    Anyone can help me?
    Oscar
    Strange. As far as I now, all Amphibia casebacks have the two tabs, and one tab casebacks are only used on Komandirskies. This could be a problem for the depth rating, but not enough to allow water into the watch submerged in a glass of water. Also, check the rails that press the gasket: Amphibias have two, as opposed to one on Komandirskies. Again, this alters the depth rating and not the water tightness.
    Maybe your caseback is slightly bent or somehow distorted and doesn't sit right on the gasket.

Quote Originally Posted by mxm View Post
    Good! I bought a new Amphibia caseback with the two tabs! Is so strange only one!!

I bought even the gasket and a new crown, just to put everything new... I hope to eradicate the problem.

Or maybe the problem is the glass... In the case that the problem is the glass... How to glue??

I hope Vostok will not begin manufacturing Amphibia caseback with only 1 tab !!

I believe 2 tabs are better than 1 for keeping the caseback aligned properly when tightening the ring.

If Vostok begins to produce a more cheaply engineered Amphibia, it will just be a 'glorified' Komandirskie or a 'pig with lipstick'.
    Rocat and herdingwetcats like this.

[QUOTE=oskita89;29145850Or maybe the problem is the glass... In the case that the problem is the glass... How to glue??[/QUOTE]

The glass (crystal) is made of acrylic / lucite and is held in place with a compression ring which is a very thin metal ring. No glue is used.

Since it is 3mm thick, the crystal is not so easy to install as other crystals.

You can test if the water is entering around the crystal:

- remove the bezel
    - place a small amount of grease (automotive, Vaseline, silicon etc.) around the rim of the case between the crystal and case.
    (outside the case; not on the inside)

This will create a temporary water seal.

If the water does not enter, the problem is with the crystal. It is either poorly manufactured or it is not seating correctly.
    Last edited by mattbeme; May 12th, 2016 at 18:45.
    herdingwetcats likes this.

Thread Information