New acquisition
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: New acquisition

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New acquisition

Re: New acquisition

very nice Amphibia, congrats!

I've seen a couple of these, and cannot help but ask....why would a Soviet watch manufacturer issue a watch celebrating the liberation of Kuwait by a US led coalition?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Senignol View Post
    I've seen a couple of these, and cannot help but ask....why would a Soviet watch manufacturer issue a watch celebrating the liberation of Kuwait by a US led coalition?
    These were made at the very end of the Soviet Union, long after the Cold War had ended. The Russians didn't really have a dog in that fight, unlike the second Gulf War, which they opposed.

I believe they were actually made with the blessing of the U.S. government. In any case, Vostok was more than happy to make them if they could make money off them.

Seiko
    5 Military Automatic SNK803K2 * Wenger Standard Issue XL * Raketa "Polar Bear" cal. 2609.NA
    Vostok Amphibia automatic, 31j * Vostok Amphibia сделано в СССР, manual-wind
    Vostok
    Komandirskie ЗАКАЗ МО СССР, manual-wind * Vostok Komandirskie Submarine Commander, manual-wind

Vostok
    Komandirskie 1945-1995 commemorative, manual-wind *
    Vostok 5/6 1963-2013 commemorative Amphibia
    Moscow Classic Navigator, 3602/03111102, Molnija 3602

sci

Seele, thank you for sharing this valuable information.

Because they were paid.

The interesting thing is that the watch was sold for 149$ while even today an amphibian costs about 60$. Sure it had a custom dial but since the series was rather big (10 000 watches) i guess it didn't make the watch that much more expensive. And that's 1991 dollars so if we account for inflation it would be much more today. BTW was this watch promoted by an official US government agency (by giving it way for free to soldiers to commemorate the war) or simply a private company decided to take advantage of the conflict and sell watches with dials commemorating it?

nht

In docs posted by Seele, says 10.000..

Here, says 200.000...

In this interview (https://forums.watchuseek.com/f10/200...ian-58721.html) says 40.000:

"The initial contract was for 10000 units with US flag on the dial, and was extended to 40000 units later on"

And Wladislaw Zivilinin, says 20.000 here: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f10/ope...tml#post600354

"In addition to the 10000 watches, some further 200 copies made as gifts for the wounded. In the following years, we delivered approximately 20000 watches in the United States"

But... how many watches have been produced? 10.000 ? 20.000 ? 40.000 ? 200.000 ?
    Silversen and nozh2002 like this.

OKEAH Final Edition 1976-2011 Proud owner of the original watch s/n: 072/300

There were multiple version of this, too. Komandirskie, Generalskie, Apmhibian, and Jr. Komandirskie. The Jr. Komandirskie says Desert Shield and Desert Storm, if I remember correctly.

It's interesting to read in the first article that one was presented to Senator John Kerry. I'm guessing he wears a Patek Philippe with all his Heinz Ketchup money, but it's cool that he has a Vostok sitting in a drawer somewhere.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by a_godumov View Post
    Because they were paid.

The interesting thing is that the watch was sold for 149$ while even today an amphibian costs about 60$. Sure it had a custom dial but since the series was rather big (10 000 watches) i guess it didn't make the watch that much more expensive. And that's 1991 dollars so if we account for inflation it would be much more today. BTW was this watch promoted by an official US government agency (by giving it way for free to soldiers to commemorate the war) or simply a private company decided to take advantage of the conflict and sell watches with dials commemorating it?
    Well, official exchange rate in USSR was 3$ per 1 ruble, so this price is 3 times 50 rubles - MSRP for Amphibia in Russia. I am pretty sure that Vostok did not even see those dollars at that times and got only rubles if any - because they work not by orders from markets but by orders from Central State Planning Department.

I think, most likely, it was 40 000 made as Vostok officials sad and 20 000 goes to US (and 200 000 is just typo in US newspaper) while other were distributed locally - sold for tourists or to regular Russians - this is how I got mine 20 years ago.

Was it ordered by Uncle Sam or not, but this watch became "export edition". This mean that quality was on special control. Communists were very picky about quality of everything what is going abroad especially in countries like US, because it was considered as part of propaganda - making statement that everything from USSR is the best. And so we may expect highest quality from those ones - even better then 3AKA3 MO. Of course I mean ones from first bunch when USSR was not collapsed yet.
    Last edited by nozh2002; June 12th, 2011 at 09:59.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information