New to the hobby and got my first Russian watch
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: New to the hobby and got my first Russian watch

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Cool New to the hobby and got my first Russian watch

Happened to stumble upon Russian watches while looking some stuff up online. Thought they were pretty cool so started browsing ebay for a little while before finding a couple I liked and thought I'd share what I bought. I'm not entirely sure if it's original or not as the date changes at 12:20 instead of at midnight like I would think it would but it's in pretty good shape and I really like how it looks so it's good for me. Didn't come with a band when I bought it so wound up buying some old new old stock Russian one that I thought looked pretty good on it. Does seem like I'll have to be careful with this hobby, these watches don't seem to be too expensive and they take up almost no storage space so need to watch myself before I wind up with a drawer full of them haha
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: New to the hobby and got my first Russian watch

Well, the race for more is on then .......
    Congrats

Re-adjusting (pulling and replacing) the hands will sort out your 12:20 date-change problem. From the pictures it seems that the hands have been re-lumed perhaps thereafter not correctly replaced
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f10/gu...042242-46.html

Edit; if you are concerned whether the watch you are about to buy is legit or a Franken, you can post some pictures in following thread first. There are many comrades on this forum who know nearly every detail. Nearly, as with Russian watches one never knows for sure
    You can also read these threads (part 1, 2 & 3) for educational purposes.
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f10/q-...a-4977267.html
    Last edited by EndeavourDK; June 27th, 2019 at 06:00.

I would like to give you a warm welcome to this website crownVicHorse. Trust me Russian watch collecting is very addicting, you will see what I mean! and to be a member here you have just become part of a international community of friendly, knowledgeable people that will bend over backwards to help you, so welcome Comrade crownVicHores.
    JJGH likes this.

HOME OF THE
    SIDEWINDER

HOME OF THE CASEBACK TOOL

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by EndeavourDK View Post
    Well, the race for more is on then .......
    Congrats

Re-adjusting (pulling and replacing) the hands will sort out your 12:20 date-change problem. From the pictures it seems that the hands have been re-lumed perhaps thereafter not correctly replaced

Edit; if you are concerned whether the watch you are about to buy is legit or a Franken, you can post some pictures in following thread first. There are many comrades on this forum who know nearly every detail. Nearly, as with Russian watches one never knows for sure
    You can also read these threads (part 1, 2 & 3) for educational purposes.
    Thanks for the links to those threads. They'll help me out quite a bit. Going to read through them and get educated a little bit. As far as the hands the seller did say that they were re-lumed so they probably just didn't put them on right. Honestly since it's only 20 minutes off I'm just going to leave it since I'm usually asleep when it would change anyway (work early in the morning).
    EndeavourDK and JJGH like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jimzilla View Post
    I would like to give you a warm welcome to this website crownVicHorse. Trust me Russian watch collecting is very addicting, you will see what I mean! and to be a member here you have just become part of a international community of friendly, knowledgeable people that will bend over backwards to help you, so welcome Comrade crownVicHores.
    Thanks, and I think you're right on that. May all ready have gotten the addiction as I actually bought an Amphibia with a submarine on the dial and also wound up finding a pretty neat Elektronika digital clock that uses these individual vacuum tubes to display the time (although I did goof and forgot about the different electrical requirements for that one and had to also buy a power converter). Both of those were within a couple days after buying my first watch.
    thewatchadude, JJGH and jimzilla like this.

Wait until you mod your first watch! It gives you pride to wear something you have created just the way you like it.
    I an new to this hobby as well, less than a year.
    Last edited by jimzilla; June 28th, 2019 at 04:02. Reason: add text
    Matt_Bored_O likes this.

HOME OF THE
    SIDEWINDER

HOME OF THE CASEBACK TOOL

Welcome Comrade, russion watches as grey and fun to mod and the options are endless. You will get hooked though

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    jimzilla and Matt_Bored_O like this.

So have a little question. Does anyone know why the watch would just stop and not run anymore? It was working great for the past month and then last night it just stopped and I can not get it to run again. It will wind, I can set the time and date but the second hand will not start moving. I did pop the cover off the back and just looked at it (just to see if I could see anything visibly wrong) but I didn't see anything I could tell was wrong and not at the comfort level of tearing this thing apart to find out what is wrong with it. I mean I wouldn't mind learning how to fix these one day but I really like this watch and don't want to practice on one I could possible ruin. I plan to stop by a shop I found locally that says they do clock and watch repair but kind of wanted to get some possible ideas of what could be wrong with it before I took it in.

Quote Originally Posted by CrownVicHorse View Post
    So have a little question. Does anyone know why the watch would just stop and not run anymore? It was working great for the past month and then last night it just stopped and I can not get it to run again. It will wind, I can set the time and date but the second hand will not start moving. I did pop the cover off the back and just looked at it (just to see if I could see anything visibly wrong) but I didn't see anything I could tell was wrong and not at the comfort level of tearing this thing apart to find out what is wrong with it. I mean I wouldn't mind learning how to fix these one day but I really like this watch and don't want to practice on one I could possible ruin. I plan to stop by a shop I found locally that says they do clock and watch repair but kind of wanted to get some possible ideas of what could be wrong with it before I took it in.
    Sorry Comrade, it is impossible to answer. Why the TV or Computer or anything else does not work? Cause something got broken. Good luck with your watchmaker visit!

You never know when this was last serviced. If it's been a long time a go - it will just stop at some point...

It's like with a car - if you'd just buy a brand new one and just drove it without servicing, at some point it will just stop in the middle of the road ;) .
    However, since a broken watch will cause less trouble than a broken car, many people will service their cars regularly, but not their watches.

In fact - especially when it comes to cheap watches or watches I seldom wear, I don't service them until I see something's wrong.
    Usually there is a moment a watch tells you it's in need of service. Not like it's a good method (you risk parts' wear), but... if I tried to remember about servicing all my watches on regular basis I'd probably go crazy, not to mention the costs ;)
    Last edited by pmwas; August 9th, 2019 at 19:14.
    Have a great day!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information