• 3 Post By Kamburov
  • 3 Post By Seikogi
  • 3 Post By agelfand
  • 1 Post By bingobadgo
  • 1 Post By Kamburov

Thread: New Vostok Amphibia: First Impressions

New Vostok Amphibia: First Impressions

Hello everyone,

I recently bought my very first Vostok Amphibia, a Scuba Dude with a teal face (420059), and thought I'd share some initial impressions with an eye toward helping others who might be contemplating buying their first Amphibia as well. (You can see some photos of the watch here: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f10/wh...l#post50937585)

I spent a *lot* of time reading through threads on this forum and posting a question of my own before pulling the trigger, and there are a few observations that I figured other first-time buyers (or fence-sitters) might find useful.

First, regarding the size of the 420 case and how it sits on the wrist: I have relatively small wrists (around 6 3/4"), and I love the way the 420 fits and feels. I ordered the watch from Meranom, and rather than messing around with the metal bracelet--I read many horror stories about hair-pulling, as well as several about the difficult of resizing the bracelet oneself (I'm not handy that way)--I had Meranom swap it out for one of their own blue silicone straps, which I like very much. (The strap cost $5 and the fee for swapping it was $1, which is less in total than a local watch shop would charge to resize or replace the metal bracelet for me.) The watch sits snugly on my wrist with the silicone strap, it fits the flat portion of my wrist very well, and it is so light I often forget I'm wearing it. I do not find it rides high at all, and I am the kind of person who would notice that. In fact, it would drive me crazy. In fact, with other watches, it has driven me crazy. For context, I have gotten used to wearing a Casio G-Shock GWM-5610, which is quite small and extremely light. I found the transition to the Amphibia surprisingly easy. It is my new daily wearer.

For even more context, prior to buying this Amphibia, I tried a SeikoSKX009, a couple of Seiko 5s, a SeikoSKX013, an Orient Ray II, and a Citizen BM8180-03E and BN0151-09L. (I was looking for minimum water resistance of 100m, with 200m being preferable.) The Amphibia fits better and feels better to me than any of those. The larger Seiko and Citizen dive watches, in particular, were just too big and heavy for my wrist and the Seiko013, though it fit better, was unreadable for me due to my aging eyes and its design. In retrospect, I wish I'd simply ordered the Amphibia earlier on, but I was a bit apprehensive because of some of the comments I had read regarding the relative quality of the watch and the fact that it was much easier for me to try and return the Seikos and Citizens. For me, though, the Amphibia was the dive watch I was pretty much meant to wear. I should add that I am a lap swimmer, and while some of those other watches didn't feel good on my wrist while swimming due to their bulk and weight, the Amphibia feels just fine.

Second, regarding accuracy: Maybe I got lucky, but this thing is gaining 15-20 secs. per day, which I find rather amazing. Then again, I ordered from Meranom in part because many on the forum have said they suspect that Meranom pays extra attention to quality control.

Third, regarding looks: I have ready plenty of posts by folks who miss the starburst pattern on the old 059 face, or rue the move to a different shade of teal, or lament the loss (or gain) of metal around the date complication. I understand where they are coming from. I'm sensitive to those details as well. But I have to say, I just love the way this thing looks. Teal, turquoise, blue, and green are my favorite colors, and the 059 is just gorgeous to me. For what it's worth, my wife and kids also love the way it looks; and my teenaged son, who has an interest in all things Russian, has already asked for one!

Fourth, regarding lume: Yes, the Seiko and Citizens had brighter lume. But I woke up in bed at 4am a couple of nights ago having just put the Amphibia on my wrist earlier that evening (so minimal light-exposure time, and all of it indoors), and I could actually read the time. As far as I'm concerned, it's just fine.

I don't know what else to say, though if anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to answer them. I found the advice and comments in this forum to be incredibly helpful as I slowly worked my way towards a decision to buy this watch, and the least I can do is repay the favor to someone who might be in a similar situation.

Cheers!
    Last edited by agelfand; 4 Days Ago at 20:31.
    24h, meranom, James_ and 5 others like this.

Re: New Vostok Amphibia: First Impressions

Welcome to the world of Russian watches! Be careful though because they are addictive.

Let's see a photo of yours then please.

Sent from my [null] using lots of coffee
    EPK likes this.

It's nice to read yoy're enjoying this, and congrats on your first amfibia!
    It's all about enjoying life and having fun. Professional divers have computers and usually expensive hi-end divers for a back up, but the amfibias (if well maintained) can do the job as good as them.
    Low-end divers are good fun, cool watches to wear. Amfibia's price/fun ratio can't be beaten, especially if you are into watch repairing/modding.
    I still like a promaster or an skx, but the russians are in a world of their own, and in no time you will wake up owning like 30 of the buggers
    Name:  viber_image_2019-08-08_21-49-58.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  228.2 KB
    Seikogi, bingobadgo and joecool like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi there,

I have almost the same terrible wrist size and have owned almost all the watches you mentioned, still have the Amphibians and the G-Shock square.

Case size: 420 and 710 are great for smaller wrists. Seiko's issue apart from the thickness is that the bezel is cylindrical, tall and flush with the crystal so it appears bigger. With Vostoks there are millions of aftermarket bezels and some designs make the watch wear a lot smaller.

I am nuts for thin watches so I also have one with a manual wind only movement and thin caseback making it super slim.

Strap: THAT strap is the best 10€ I spent and I spent way too much money on expensive rubber straps. Its just extremely comfortable and most importantly shorter compared to other rubber straps. So the buckle wont be completely sideways on the wrist and its going to feel and look great. Yes it attracts lint but who cares, its a diver.

Lume: Yup, not Seiko level but there are plenty expensive watches that are a lot worse. If you ever want, there are tons of perfectly relumed dial and hands that get you near or at Seiko level.

Forum: F10 (russian forum) is the friendliest subforum I have ever been in. Great and helpful people here and you can also learn a lot about tinkering and repairing stuff here.

Quote Originally Posted by bingobadgo View Post
    Welcome to the world of Russian watches! Be careful though because they are addictive.

Let's see a photo of yours then please.

Here you go!

Name:  IMG_2284.JPG
Views: 58
Size:  2.04 MB

By the way, I forgot to mention that as someone who doesn't actually dive, the two-way dotted bezel works just fine for me. It does move quite easily, but not so much that it's a problem; and I've already used it to time several activities.
    Last edited by agelfand; 4 Days Ago at 23:50.
    Kamburov, EPK and bingobadgo like this.

Quote Originally Posted by agelfand View Post
    Here you go!

Name:  IMG_2284.JPG
Views: 58
Size:  2.04 MB

By the way, I forgot to mention that as someone who doesn't actually dive, the two-way dotted bezel works just fine for me. It does move quite easily, but not so much that it's a problem; and I've already used it to time several activities.
    It looks great, good choice! I don't dive either, in fact I can barely swim, but find a dive bezel particularly useful for cooking! Good choice on the watch, and welcome to F10.

Kamburov likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bingobadgo View Post
    ...but find a dive bezel particularly useful for cooking!
    Hallelujah!
    bingobadgo likes this.

Thanks for the info.

I tend to use the bezel for timing the interval at the theatre I work in - most intervals are 20 minutes long

Though being a scuba diver I also use the bezel mostly for cooking--notwithstanding the fact that I cook more often that I dive (which I have to reckon my profile testifies of).

Thread Information