Novice: My new-to-me "serviced" Vostok 1945-1995 "Victory" watch stops intermittently

Thread: Novice: My new-to-me "serviced" Vostok 1945-1995 "Victory" watch stops intermittently

Novice: My new-to-me "serviced" Vostok 1945-1995 "Victory" watch stops intermittently

I bought my this watch used because I liked the design. The name of the watch makes the date of manufacture obvious. The seller claimed the watch was serviced but from the day I received it stops intermittently. Sometimes I look at the watch on my wrist and it is stopped, other times it is significant time, but is running: I know the later is happening because the watch stops and start primarily from my physical movement. When I find it stopped a shake of the wrist will often get it going again. During tougher times i've had tp tap it with my finger several times to get it running again and with each tap the second hand will jump forward or backward a couple of seconds, which seems suspect to me.

As this watch is 24 years old could it just be too warn out to be serviced or is it likely I was lied to about it being serviced? I like the design enough to put some money into it. My research tells me it has a 2414a movement. Is it feasible to buy a new $32 Vostok and swap the movements? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    I bought my this watch used because I liked the design. The name of the watch makes the date of manufacture obvious. The seller claimed the watch was serviced but from the day I received it stops intermittently. Sometimes I look at the watch on my wrist and it is stopped, other times it is significant time, but is running: I know the later is happening because the watch stops and start primarily from my physical movement. When I find it stopped a shake of the wrist will often get it going again. During tougher times i've had tp tap it with my finger several times to get it running again and with each tap the second hand will jump forward or backward a couple of seconds, which seems suspect to me.

As this watch is 24 years old could it just be too warn out to be serviced or is it likely I was lied to about it being serviced? I like the design enough to put some money into it. My research tells me it has a 2414a movement. Is it feasible to buy a new $32 Vostok and swap the movements? Thanks.
    Welcome to the forum. The watch was not serviced or, that is possible, was damaged during the shipment. Swapping of the movement is quite possible. You will need tools though or find a watchmaster willing to do that for you. Money wise it is probably better to buy another copy of this watch. A few things you can do:

1) open the back of the watch
    2) is the mechanism dirty? Then it was not serviced
    3) clean? Do you see the oil glistening in the jewels or they appear dry? If dry then it was not serviced.
    4) look at the balance hair spring. Any dirt or foreign objects there? CAREFUL. Do not touch it. Can be damaged easily.

Re: Novice: My new-to-me "serviced" Vostok 1945-1995 "Victory" watch stops intermittently

Any machine, including Russian watches, that you buy in used condition without a warranty whether they've been "serviced" or not can decide to stop working for multiple reasons over which the seller has no control. That is why if you plan to continue to collect vintage used Russian watches you should consider learning how to do simple repairs and a basic clean and lube service.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Re: Novice: My new-to-me "serviced" Vostok 1945-1995 "Victory" watch stops intermittently

I'd say that whoever serviced the watch or at least re-installed the hands, didn't support the seconds hand pinion in place when re-installing the seconds hand. Nine times out of ten you may get away with not supporting the seconds pinion on the underside when installing the second hand, but as I have learn't there is always the one time when it goes belly up. The seconds pinion is only held in place by a small L shaped spring, if someone presses too hard when installing the seconds hand it can bend the spring (if unsupported) giving very little tension on the seconds pinion and its mesh with its its driving gear (the symptoms you describe, jumping in and out of mesh, and sometimes spinning freely before re-engaging). I've even had one pierce (!) the spring rendering it useless. With the movement out you can also see the seconds hand and its pinion float up and down....

Heres a picture of a Vostok movement (with the auto-winding bridge removed) showing the L shaped spring and the TINY contact point is has with the bottom of the seconds pinion, and that is ALL that keeps it in place, as you can see any damage to that spring or even bending it will cause the symptoms you have. Starting from the centre of the movement, the brass L shaped spring runs diagonally towards 10 o'clock then dog-legs back towards 9, with a single retaining screw and a locating stud holding it in place.

Name:  vostok movement spring (1024x886).jpg
Views: 33
Size:  544.7 KB

Found the thread explaining it better than I probably have, and with better pics:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f10/se...a-3653818.html

Quote Originally Posted by Parkgate View Post
    Found the thread explaining it better than I probably have, and with better pics:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f10/se...a-3653818.html
    Agree. Happened to me as well. So not like this design at all. Good thing that these movements are common and cheep. Getting a donor and swapping parts is easy. But 1st time I spent hours figuring out why the watch stops. 🙂

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

That the watch runs shows that the balance assembly is most likely fine. There could be many reasons for why it stops, but standard I service every watch which I acquire to make sure that all is fine. More often than not, the so called "serviced" watches I receive are not. Also the definition of term "serviced" can be interpreted very broadly, from a proper thorough service (at least 4-5 hrs work) to a quick polishing with a cloth.
    Damage due to transport is a possibility, but the most sensitive part and most likely to fail, the balance, seems to work fine. This increases the possibility that your watch wasn't properly serviced in the first place
    BTW; a proper service includes testing / observing of the watch for at least 24hrs or more. If what Parkgate suggest has happened, that fault, or any other, should have been picked up.

Putting the watch on a "timegrapher" will quickly reveal the truth .....
    Last edited by EndeavourDK; June 2nd, 2019 at 17:03. Reason: Spelling

Thread Information