Q&A Expertise thread: Is this watch legit or a franken? Part 2 - Page 12
Like Tree2373Likes

Thread: Q&A Expertise thread: Is this watch legit or a franken? Part 2

Page 12 of 276 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 62 112 ... LastLast

Re: Q&A Expertise thread: Is this watch legit or a franken? Part 2

Quote Originally Posted by schnurrp View Post
    You have made some careful observations, comrade, about an item for which it will never be known if it is authentic or not unless the original owner is your Uncle Igor who will swear he bought it from the special Raketa export store in St. Petersburg. That being said, to me, the variations you mention are those one might expect when comparing an actual item with multiple factory runs to its single catalog picture which does not appear to be a photograph. The main correct elements are present so to me "it looks authentic". If you're not convinced I suggest you search further. There are many, many, authentic 2609 Raketas for sale, a most successful watch movement and found in many designs.

Good point about Russian watches being advertised as "serviced". It is possible, ironically, to find one "needing service" if you look hard enough. Not the kind of search we usually undertake.

Good luck!
    I just love the way you put that and I just LOL reading it! It also goes to show, I'm afraid, how little I know and understand about the market for Russian vintage watches. Much, much appreciated! If it's still around tomorrow I'll pick it up. Something tells me I'm going to be very fond of it.
    schnurrp likes this.
    Never use force. Get a bigger hammer.
    ~ Ratfacedgit

I found this watch with an interesting dial that I haven't seen before. Is this authentic?

Rare Столичные 1-мчз 1950's (Serviced,Oiled) | eBay

I've also been following this rodina but I am unsure if the dial is original because there is no text directly under the hands. I have seen some with the text and others without.

.ОДИНА 1мчз (POLJOT) Authentic 1950's USSR (Serviced,Oiled) | eBay

Quote Originally Posted by cptwalker View Post
    I found this watch with an interesting dial that I haven't seen before. Is this authentic?

I pretty much know nothing about these, other than it being a Stolichnye (I think that's how it's spelt). I would say the dial is authentic and overall it's a very beautiful and elegant timepiece.
    cptwalker and VWatchie like this.
    My YouTube Channel

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I've also been following this rodina but I am unsure if the dial is original because there is no text directly under the hands. I have seen some with the text and others without.

The stolichnie has had its signature "acorn" crown replaced. I think this crown is important to the success of the design of this watch and for that reason I would not buy unless the price was low enough so that I could spend more to replace the crown with an original one, not that easy to find.

The Rodina dial looks okay to me but the hands are incorrect. They should be solid and gold-plated. Lumed hands on a watch with non-lumed dial is rarely seen and doesn't make sense.
    cptwalker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by schnurrp View Post
    The Rodina dial looks okay to me but the hands are incorrect. They should be solid and gold-plated. Lumed hands on a watch with non-lumed dial is rarely seen and doesn't make sense.
    I'm watching another rodina but with solid gold-plated hands. Would you say this one is original?

Vintage Russian Men's Watch USSR RODINA AUTOMATIC 22 Jewels White 1M43 1950's | eBay

I'm watching another rodina but with solid gold-plated hands. Would you say this one is original?

Vintage Russian Men's Watch USSR RODINA AUTOMATIC 22 Jewels White 1M43 1950's | eBay
    That one looks okay except the same thing could be said about the crown as was said about the stolichnie, crown replaced.
    cptwalker likes this.

Some visual reference for how these watches should look, I believe. The crown on the Stolichnie fades into the background, but if you look closely is identical to the rounded crown on the Rodina.

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-09-05 at 21.11.12.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  308.6 KB

I had not realized how often people replace the crown on these. I always learn something new when I post here. Thanks again.
    mroatman likes this.

I had not realized how often people replace the crown on these.
    For most people, even many collectors I'd say, a replaced crown is a matter of course. Only extreme geeks who seek out absolute authenticity in every way could possibly get worked up over such a trivial detail. (That's us 🤜🤛)

Quote Originally Posted by mroatman View Post
    For most people, even many collectors I'd say, a replaced crown is a matter of course. Only extreme geeks who seek out absolute authenticity in every way could possibly get worked up over such a trivial detail. (That's us 卵亂)
    Even though I now know the crown is replaced on the stolichnie, the simple elegance of the dial is very tempting lol :p
    mroatman and VWatchie like this.

Page 12 of 276 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 62 112 ... LastLast

Thread Information