Q&A Expertise thread: Is this watch legit or a franken? Part 2 - Page 14
Like Tree2226Likes

Thread: Q&A Expertise thread: Is this watch legit or a franken? Part 2

Page 14 of 253 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 64 114 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 2529
  1. #131
    Member mariomart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Western Australia
    Posts
    2,168

    Re: Q&A Expertise thread: Is this watch legit or a franken? Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by 24 Hours View Post
    I don't get this. Look here; a nice looking Vostok with a 2409 movement (without date complication), right?
    However, turn it dial up and you'll find, yes, a date complication!!!
    Can someone tell me what's going on? The only explanation I can think of is a faux date complication, but that just sounds too unlikely.
    My best guess is that the bridge has been replaced as I believe they are interchangeable (not that I've tried it myself)

  2. #132
    Member mroatman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Estonia
    Posts
    7,136

    Re: Q&A Expertise thread: Is this watch legit or a franken? Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by 24 Hours View Post
    I don't get this. Look here; a nice looking Vostok with a 2409 movement (without date complication), right?
    However, turn it dial up and you'll find, yes, a date complication!!!
    Can someone tell me what's going on? The only explanation I can think of is a faux date complication, but that just sounds too unlikely.
    Mario is right. Parts interchangeability is extremely high among Soviet watches, so the bridge has simply been replaced with one bearing the wrong caliber stamp.

    Repairs like this, using "incorrect" but perfectly-functioning parts, are very common.

  3. #133
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    81

    Re: Q&A Expertise thread: Is this watch legit or a franken? Part 2

    I've seen this very special piece in a respectable seller's shop, and think it's likely genuine. However I would like a second opinion before submitting an offer.
    Name:  s-l1600.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  235.9 KB
    Name:  s-l1600.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  284.8 KB
    Last edited by Kittycat; September 8th, 2017 at 21:17.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #134
    Member mroatman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Estonia
    Posts
    7,136

    Re: Q&A Expertise thread: Is this watch legit or a franken? Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Kittycat View Post
    I've seen this very special piece in a respectable seller's shop, and think it's likely genuine. However I would like a second opinion before submitting an offer.
    Aside from the second hand and crown (minor issues, really) -- yes, fully authentic. A lovely commemorative design, and Miro is a top-notch seller 👍

  6. #135
    Member kev80e's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Rutland UK
    Posts
    2,777

    Re: Q&A Expertise thread: Is this watch legit or a franken? Part 2

    What do you make of this guy's ? I quite like it's quirkiness.
    Name:  Screenshot_2017-09-08-23-57-32_kindlephoto-146139941.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  179.6 KBName:  Screenshot_2017-09-08-23-58-27_kindlephoto-146178328.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  154.7 KBName:  Screenshot_2017-09-08-23-58-43_kindlephoto-146194840.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  137.3 KBName:  Screenshot_2017-09-08-23-58-10_kindlephoto-146161772.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  194.6 KB
    ​I'm afraid one day I will die and my wife will sell my watches for what I told her I paid for them.


  7. #136
    Member VWatchie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Sollentuna, SWEDEN
    Posts
    391

    Re: Q&A Expertise thread: Is this watch legit or a franken? Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by schnurrp View Post
    The date mechanism is found on the dial side of the movement comrade. From the back side the 2409 and 2414 look the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by mariomart View Post
    My best guess is that the bridge has been replaced as I believe they are interchangeable (not that I've tried it myself)
    Quote Originally Posted by mroatman View Post
    Mario is right. Parts interchangeability is extremely high among Soviet watches, so the bridge has simply been replaced with one bearing the wrong caliber stamp.

    Repairs like this, using "incorrect" but perfectly-functioning parts, are very common.
    Thanks, comrades! As far as I know, all 2409 parts are interchangeable with the 2414 parts so this is, of course, the very obvious explanation.

    You know, I wonder why I didn't think of this myself. Whether it's because I'm just not smart enough (i.e. stupid) or whether my own respect for not mixing and matching parts is too great (I could never make myself put a 2409 bridge on a 2414 movement). Probably a bit of both, I'm afraid. Anyway, with the all the wonderful help you're providing me, I know I'll survive!
    mariomart and mroatman like this.
    Never use force. Get a bigger hammer.
    ~ Ratfacedgit

  8. #137
    Member VWatchie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Sollentuna, SWEDEN
    Posts
    391

    Re: Q&A Expertise thread: Is this watch legit or a franken? Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by mroatman View Post
    Aside from the second hand and crown (minor issues, really) -- yes, fully authentic. A lovely commemorative design, and Miro is a top-notch seller 
    I'm always on the lookout for good sellers. I've tried to locate Miro but failed. Could you please provide a link? Thanks!
    Never use force. Get a bigger hammer.
    ~ Ratfacedgit

  9. #138
    Member dutchassasin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1,465

    Re: Q&A Expertise thread: Is this watch legit or a franken? Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by 24 Hours View Post
    I'm always on the lookout for good sellers. I've tried to locate Miro but failed. Could you please provide a link? Thanks!
    if i remember correctly his ebay name is: miromanbay
    VWatchie and mroatman like this.

  10. #139
    Member schnurrp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    10,386

    Re: Q&A Expertise thread: Is this watch legit or a franken? Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by 24 Hours View Post
    Thanks, comrades! As far as I know, all 2409 parts are interchangeable with the 2414 parts so this is, of course, the very obvious explanation.

    You know, I wonder why I didn't think of this myself. Whether it's because I'm just not smart enough (i.e. stupid) or whether my own respect for not mixing and matching parts is too great (I could never make myself put a 2409 bridge on a 2414 movement). Probably a bit of both, I'm afraid. Anyway, with the all the wonderful help you're providing me, I know I'll survive!
    Many of us have spent hours over the years staring and musing about such things. It takes some time and effort as you will realize if you continue.

    The substituting of parts can be the result of someone "constructing" a watch to sell, of course, but the soviet attitude of "whatever works" to keep their timepieces working can also indicate that the replaced parts are authentic repairs done by the owner or his watchmaker, impossible to know.

    Believe me, no one on f10 considers you "not smart enough", comrade, just a fellow collector trying to understand.
    mariomart, VWatchie and mroatman like this.

  11. #140
    Member schnurrp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    10,386

    Re: Q&A Expertise thread: Is this watch legit or a franken? Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by kev80e View Post
    What do you make of this guy's ? I quite like it's quirkiness.
    Name:  Screenshot_2017-09-08-23-57-32_kindlephoto-146139941.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  179.6 KBName:  Screenshot_2017-09-08-23-58-27_kindlephoto-146178328.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  154.7 KBName:  Screenshot_2017-09-08-23-58-43_kindlephoto-146194840.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  137.3 KBName:  Screenshot_2017-09-08-23-58-10_kindlephoto-146161772.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  194.6 KB
    Quirky-looking for a reason, Kev, in my opinion. Not the dial you usually see with the "asymmetric" case.

    Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 175
Size:  24.3 KB

    Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 170
Size:  33.1 KB
    mroatman likes this.

Page 14 of 253 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 64 114 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (1 members and 1 guests)

  1. EndeavourDK

Similar Threads

  1. Q&A Expertise thread: Is this watch legit or a franken?
    By emoscambio in forum Russian watches
    Replies: 3394
    Last Post: August 20th, 2017, 15:45
  2. &&&&&&&& WRUW 06/10/2015 &&&&&&&&&&
    By eblackmo in forum Affordable watches
    Replies: 90
    Last Post: October 8th, 2015, 20:56
  3. Replies: 92
    Last Post: May 21st, 2015, 17:36
  4. Replies: 73
    Last Post: May 21st, 2015, 08:19
  5. &&&&&&&& WRUW ON SATURDAY MAY 16th 2015 &&&&&&&&&
    By GDub in forum Affordable watches
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: May 16th, 2015, 04:46

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •