Q&A Expertise thread: Is this watch legit or a franken? Part 2 - Page 15
Like Tree2373Likes

Thread: Q&A Expertise thread: Is this watch legit or a franken? Part 2

Page 15 of 276 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 65 115 ... LastLast

Re: Q&A Expertise thread: Is this watch legit or a franken? Part 2

Do these model of Mayaks have luminescence on the hands? It looks like it to me but the seller insists that the green paint is neither tritium or radium. Anyone can confirm this?

Name:  s-l1600.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  227.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by cptwalker View Post
    Do these model of Mayaks have luminescence on the hands? It looks like it to me but the seller insists that the green paint is neither tritium or radium. Anyone can confirm this?

I don't believe that particular style of hands was made to be lumed or painted, either one, one of the rare examples of true "skeleton" hands found on soviet watches. Also, with no lume dots on the dial, lumed hands don't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by schnurrp View Post
    Quirky-looking for a reason, Kev, in my opinion. Not the dial you usually see with the "asymmetric" case.

Attachment 12492623

Attachment 12492625
    Thanks Schnurrp. I had a feeling the dial was wrong, I see this dial in Sekonda a lot, but the case is great. Another on my slava list.
    ​I'm afraid one day I will die and my wife will sell my watches for what I told her I paid for them.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by cptwalker View Post
    I don't believe that particular style of hands was made to be lumed or painted, either one, one of the rare examples of true "skeleton" hands found on soviet watches.
    I don't know, I tend to disagree. I think these hands were painted a blueish-green tint on Mayak models (maybe not the Raketa or Svet equivalents, can't be sure). At least, it's extremely common to find these with a similar shade of paint. I doubt the frankenmeisters are collaborating against us....

Name:  collage.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  1.09 MB

This wouldn't be the first instance of Soviets using teal paint in the early 1960s (1, 2, 3, 4, 5), so there is precedent.

But anyway, schnurrp and the seller are right that it's definitely not radium. So bid away.

Quote Originally Posted by kev80e View Post
    Thanks Schnurrp. I had a feeling the dial was wrong, I see this dial in Sekonda a lot, but the case is great. Another on my slava list.
    Have a look here, kev:

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 197
Size:  273.4 KB
    kev80e and cptwalker like this.

Have a look here, kev:

Views: 197
Size:  273.4 KB
    Cheers, I'd lost the link to these catalogues and loads of other stuff due to my computer stupidity .
    cptwalker likes this.
    ​I'm afraid one day I will die and my wife will sell my watches for what I told her I paid for them.

Oddly, the 1960 catalog doesn't specify anything about painting or luming of hands.

Here's the Google-translated description of that model (those models, actually):

«МАЯК» 221ЧН Оформление ЧН-1116К и ЧН-1117К

Корпус хромированный (ЧН-1116К) или золоченый (ЧН-1117К) пылевлагонепроницаемый диаметром 32,6 мм с многогранным фигурным ободком.
    Толщина слоя золота 20 мк 850-й пробы.
    Крышка из нержавеющей стали крепится к корпусу резьбовым кольцом.
    Стекло органическое сферической формы.
    Циферблат серебреный рельефный с неполной оцифровкой: 2, 4, 8, 10, 12. Нечетные цифры заменены треугольными знаками.
    Цифры и знаки рельефные золотистые.
    В центре рельефные радиальные лучи. Под цифрами и минутной шкалой рельефные полуокружности. Минутная шкала с шестьюдесятью делениями, каждое пятое деление утолщено.
    Секундная шкала с двенадцатью делениями и цифрами: 15, 30, 45, 60. Шкалы, оцифровка секундной шкалы и надписи на циферблате черные.
    Стрелки золоченые, часовая и минутная контурные.

"LIGHTHOUSE" 221CHN Registration of CHN-1116K and CHN-1117K

Chromium plated body (CHN-1116K) or gilded (CHN-1117K) dust-proof impermeable with a diameter of 32.6 mm with a polyhedral figured rim.
    The thickness of the gold layer is 20 m of the 850th test.
    The stainless steel cover is attached to the body by a threaded ring. Glass is an organic spherical shape.
    The dial is silvered relief with incomplete digitization: 2, 4, 8, 10, 12. Odd figures are replaced by triangular signs.
    Numbers and signs are embossed in gold.
    In the center of the relief radial rays. Under the figures and the minute scale, the relief semicircles.
    A minute scale with sixty divisions, every fifth division is thickened.
    The second scale with twelve divisions and figures: 15, 30, 45, 60. Scales, digitizing the second scale and the inscription on the dial are black.
    The hands are gilt, hour and minute contour.

As a side note, I believe the pictured watch is a franken because according to the description the decorated dial should be fitted into cases with faceted (polyhedral) rim only; a case with a plain rim belongs, among others, to model ЧН-187К, with a dial very similar in design (2-4-8-10-12 + triangles) but also plain -that is, lacking the relief decoration.
    Last edited by Straight_time; September 10th, 2017 at 18:50.
    cptwalker and schnurrp like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Straight_time View Post
    As a side note, I believe the pictured watch is a franken because according to the description the decorated dial should be fitted into cases with faceted (polyhedral) rim only; a case with a plain rim belongs, among others, to model ЧН-187К, with a dial very similar in design (2-4-8-10-12 + triangles) but also plain -that is, lacking the relief decoration.
    Yeah I believe the case is wrong as well. For the price though, I was looking for a bund strap and the semi-franken mayak would be a bonus lol. As you stated, the case is not correct for the particular model but it lines up with mroatman's far left example. If the bidding gets high i'm out though.

first: thank you schnurrp and mroatman for your replies from a week ago on my Poljot question

second: two Poljot automatics currently on ebay and sharing the same white, rather suspicious, hands: both from a watch with white dial marks?

Is it really that hard for sellers to (have) put the correct hands in watches they (have) service(d)? Or is it just too easy to sell them like this?

thanks

Peter
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by chien-andalou View Post
    first: thank you schnurrp and mroatman for your replies from a week ago on my Poljot question

second: two Poljot automatics currently on ebay and sharing the same white, rather suspicious, hands: both from a watch with white dial marks?

Is it really that hard for sellers to (have) put the correct hands in watches they (have) service(d)? Or is it just too easy to sell them like this?

thanks

Peter
    I don't think it is possible for me to judge with absolute accuracy whether these two are totally authentic. They could have been "created" from a pile of parts, choosing the best most pleasing to the "creator".

Personally, I would rather see the case match the finish of the hour bars and hands which should be tapered and solid. Second hand could match or perhaps be white or red.

Here are a couple catalog shots, you be the judge.

Views: 166
Size:  114.4 KB

Views: 167
Size:  109.6 KB

I know it's hard to realize but I think it's rare to find a seller who has an encyclopedic knowledge of what's authentic. I believe the opposite can be true, relying on a third party supplier's word or just presenting what looks nice to them.
    Last edited by schnurrp; September 11th, 2017 at 14:16.
    mroatman likes this.

Page 15 of 276 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 65 115 ... LastLast

Thread Information