Q&A Expertise thread: Is this watch legit or a franken? Part 2 - Page 19
Like Tree2226Likes

Thread: Q&A Expertise thread: Is this watch legit or a franken? Part 2

Page 19 of 253 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 69 119 ... LastLast

Re: Q&A Expertise thread: Is this watch legit or a franken? Part 2

Quote Originally Posted by sideways2 View Post
    A buddy and were talking...I'm pretty sure I know the answer but I take it these are not reissues?? Sorry...not up to speed on Strumanskie's!!
    cptwalker and mroatman like this.

ROFL!!!!

Thanks man...too funny!!

I was pretty sure the whole lot of those and the "aviator" type dials were fake :)
    cptwalker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by schnurrp View Post

You are right about the case and the crown and they appear to be authentic. I would prefer a bezel with a white lume dot for that case type but one like that is often seen. The dial I am not familiar with and so I can't say for sure; maybe somebody else has one and will post a picture. I would say it's 50/50 or less that the dial is authentic. The second hand appears authentic but the hour and minute hands look like the reproduction replacement set pictured below left beside the authentic Vostok set which has a slimmer hour hand and a minute hand with a narrower lume slot. Welcome to the forum!

[iurl="https://forums.watchuseek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12509503&d=1505531652"][/iurl] [iurl="https://forums.watchuseek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12509505&d=1505531872"][/iurl]
    Thanks for all the info! I appreciate,and am learning something new every day on here.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by SennaGTS View Post
    Updated with movement photos just sent to me.

Attachment 12512547
    Anyone please? Sorry for bumping this with quotes of the photos, but I'm looking to get this as a gift for someone if it's all legit.

Quote Originally Posted by SennaGTS View Post
    Anyone please? Sorry for bumping this with quotes of the photos, but I'm looking to get this as a gift for someone if it's all legit.
    Despite the fact that I can't find it in a catalog I believe it's legit. If you search "Chaika watch images" you will find a couple of these included. It would be nice if the paperwork had the proper description and matching serial numbers, if it's possible to determine that.
    SennaGTS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dub Rubb View Post
    Thanks for all the info! I appreciate,and am learning something new every day on here.
    Me, too!

Soooo. . . Pretty sure this is franken, I would just like to know the extent of it. The hands all look reproduction, and even komandirskie, AND I haven't a clue about the bezel. However, the case does appear to at least be stainless. It looks to be in too good of condition to be stamped cccp on the case and dial, but I am new to all this and maybe I got lucky. Any info would be greatly appreciated, and on the plus side, it keeps good time, and I think it looks good!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dub Rubb View Post
    Soooo. . . Pretty sure this is franken, I would just like to know the extent of it. The hands all look reproduction, and even komandirskie, AND I haven't a clue about the bezel. However, the case does appear to at least be stainless. It looks to be in too good of condition to be stamped cccp on the case and dial, but I am new to all this and maybe I got lucky. Any info would be greatly appreciated, and on the plus side, it keeps good time, and I think it looks good!
    Yes, bezel and hands are reproductions (notice the "30" on the bezel is up-side-down). The dial is unusual and what appears to be fading of the red star may indicate age but the small flat brilliant white hour dots make me question. The back probably should be on the earlier type 119 "barrel" amphibian. All-in-all I would say a classic "franken" but not bad looking and if it keeps good time and you didn't pay too much for it, not the end of the world. Could serve as a parts watch for future use.

Quote Originally Posted by schnurrp View Post
    Yes, bezel and hands are reproductions (notice the "30" on the bezel is up-side-down). The dial is unusual and what appears to be fading of the red star may indicate age but the small flat brilliant white hour dots make me question. The back probably should be on the earlier type 119 "barrel" amphibian. All-in-all I would say a classic "franken" but not bad looking and if it keeps good time and you didn't pay too much for it, not the end of the world. Could serve as a parts watch for future use.
    The dial is a franken as well. We discussed this dial quite some time ago, I think the give away is the rounded bottom of the indice at 12 o'clock.

Here is what a genuine "NOS" example looks like.

Name:  s-l1600.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  247.2 KB

How often is this one found in NOS condition, considering it's from the 80s I'm guessing?

Name:  20170919_000048.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  181.8 KB

Name:  20170919_000109.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  123.9 KB

Name:  20170919_000127.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  113.2 KB
    cptwalker likes this.

Page 19 of 253 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 69 119 ... LastLast

Thread Information