Q&A Expertise thread: Is this watch legit or a franken? Part 2 - Page 30
Like Tree2372Likes

Thread: Q&A Expertise thread: Is this watch legit or a franken? Part 2

Page 30 of 278 FirstFirst ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 80 130 ... LastLast

Re: Q&A Expertise thread: Is this watch legit or a franken? Part 2

I'm no expert but to me the lume looks a little sloppy on the tip of the hour hand and the second hand. Quality control issue or a relume with "patina" lume? I think the lume is original but it's just an observation.
    VWatchie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 24 Hours View Post
    It's not on auction and I can't make an offer, but I could always get in touch with the seller, offer him/her something decent and maybe refer to your posts.
    ^ This is exactly what I'd do. But maybe don't reference this thread. If I were the seller, I wouldn't enjoy reading a bunch of little snot-nosed yuppy watch collector's opinions on MY price.

As for the lume, I wouldn't worry about it. If you love it, does it really matter if it's faded or original? I say get what you love :)

Quote Originally Posted by mariomart View Post
    Here's something that may help you in your quest https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/2938...f=sr_gallery_8
    Thanks, Mario! Had a look at it already yesterday and noticed the discoloration, the kind we're more used to see, but also sort of "sand-colored", I guess, but IMO nowhere near as sand colored as the two specimens I link to. Anyway, the version you link to, as well as the specimen that Neruda provided a link to, weren't made specifically for Timepeace. I suspect that Timepeace may have ordered their version with the "sand lume", the English case back, the English oscillating weight, etc., and the sand lume would make sense considering the theme of the watch "Operation Desert Shield".

Anyway, if I have the time I'll try to do some more research and see what I can come up with. I wouldn't be super surprised if I'm right about this, but I say that with humbleness.
    mariomart likes this.
    Never use force. Get a bigger hammer.
    ~ Ratfacedgit

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mroatman View Post
    ^ This is exactly what I'd do. But maybe don't reference this thread. If I were the seller, I wouldn't enjoy reading a bunch of little snot-nosed yuppy watch collector's opinions on MY price.

As for the lume, I wouldn't worry about it. If you love it, does it really matter if it's faded or original? I say get what you love :)
    Well actually, in this case, I just think it would be very interesting to learn if the color of the lume was actually a part of the specification/order from Timepeace, and even so, I'm not sure I want it. I'm definitely not prepared to spend $450 for it. Yes, I know, our highly respected and appreciated experts have already passed their verdict (white!), which I really appreciate, but for some reason, I just can't put this to rest. Anyway, should I come up with anything decisive I'll let you know.
    mroatman likes this.
    ~ Ratfacedgit

Well actually, in this case, I just think it would be very interesting to learn if the color of the lume was actually a part of the specification/order from Timepeace, and even so, I'm not sure I want it. I'm definitely not prepared to spend $450 for it. Yes, I know, our highly respected and appreciated experts have already passed their verdict (white!), which I really appreciate, but for some reason, I just can't put this to rest. Anyway, should I come up with anything decisive I'll let you know.
    My last word on this: soviet lume, despite its notorious lack of performance, was applied to their dive watches so that the hands and hour marks would glow in the dark, evidently, an important design consideration for any dive watch. This would imply the brightest white color would have been used, in my opinion.

The even degradation of the lume to a "sand" color on that Desert Storm model is a good sign that the watch has its original lume, nothing else.
    Last edited by schnurrp; October 1st, 2017 at 13:41.
    VWatchie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mroatman View Post

Exactly. You can always make an offer by sending it to the seller at "contact seller". I dare say I've bought as many this way as with the BIN function, when it exists. Nothing to lose.

I would wait a few weeks (it's gonna be there a long time at that price) when the seller may be a bit more receptive. Let the market tell him his price is too high.
    VWatchie, mroatman and elsoldemayo like this.

I wrote a message to the seller to ask about the lume of this Timepeace Operation Desert Shield watch and he confirmed that the original lume color was "sand-colored" (a word I came up with). It’s certainly not hard evidence, but I take it as pretty strong circumstantial evidence and find it very interesting. This is what he wrote and these are the images he attached. I hope you find it interesting too, and I hope you don’t find my "obsession" too annoying!

"I can say "sand-colored" lume is a peculiarity of Series I Self-Winding Vostok Amphibian Desert Shield Export Watches. I attach photos of wristwatches of this Series I with various serial numbers used and stored in different environment."

Name:  s-l1600.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  159.2 KBName:  s-l1600.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  152.7 KBName:  s-l1600.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  131.5 KBName:  s-l1600.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  214.8 KBName:  s-l1600.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  262.8 KBName:  s-l1600.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  25.7 KBName:  s-l1600.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  23.4 KBName:  s-l1600.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  113.3 KBName:  s-l1600.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  116.7 KB
    ~ Ratfacedgit

"I can say "sand-colored" lume is a peculiarity of Series I Self-Winding Vostok Amphibian Desert Shield Export Watches. I attach photos of wristwatches of this Series I with various serial numbers used and stored in different[I] environment."
    Not true, see this model with the same sand color:

Quote Originally Posted by Lol965 View Post
    Not true, see this model with the same sand color:

Wonderful bezel and I really like those lugs! What's the movement? Send me a PM if you'd like to sell it!

About the lume; As I understand it the "sand-colored" lume is only a feature of the "Series I Self-Winding Vostok Amphibian Desert Shield Export Watches" made for the American company Timepeace Russian Watches Inc.by Vostok. You won't, among other things, find the Vostok logo on those dials. The lume on your watch looks like faded white, but that's me, and I'm aware that people can perceive color very differently.

Thanks for sharing!

EDIT: For anyone interested, here's a very interesting article about Timepeace Russian Watches Inc.
    Last edited by VWatchie; October 1st, 2017 at 20:12.
    ~ Ratfacedgit

Any thoughts on the authenticity/history of this Poljot (thanks to your help in the translation topic) model, I didn’t manage to find a similar model with this particular logo?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 30 of 278 FirstFirst ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 80 130 ... LastLast

Thread Information