Q&A Expertise thread: Is this watch legit or a franken? Part 2 - Page 37
Like Tree2225Likes

Thread: Q&A Expertise thread: Is this watch legit or a franken? Part 2

Page 37 of 253 FirstFirst ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 87 137 ... LastLast
Results 361 to 370 of 2524
  1. #361
    Member schnurrp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    10,384

    Re: Q&A Expertise thread: Is this watch legit or a franken? Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by armanh View Post
    Hi guys and gals,

    Opinions on this Okean? A great deal just popped up on this, but wanna be sure before pulling the trigger. Everything looks OK to my untrained eyes, but I've been fooled before.

    Attachment 12591393
    Attachment 12591395
    Attachment 12591397
    Attachment 12591399
    Attachment 12591401
    Attachment 12591403
    That "shturmanskie" (not okeah) should have blue hands and the picture quality is not good enough for me to conclude the case and crowns are stainless. Looks like some brassing. Would also need a movement picture unless the price is so low as to be worth the trouble.

    Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 190
Size:  59.8 KBName:  Capture1.JPG
Views: 190
Size:  33.6 KBName:  Capture2.JPG
Views: 188
Size:  43.9 KB

  2. #362
    Member VWatchie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Sollentuna, SWEDEN
    Posts
    391

    Re: Q&A Expertise thread: Is this watch legit or a franken? Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by schnurrp View Post
    I assume you know they are black, comrade, because plated hands can often look black due to the angle of lighting. Under magnification the hands aren't as black as the Vostok "B" on the dial:

    Attachment 12590577

    I did not see a single set of hands in Michelle's extensive collection that I would definitely say were black while many with light dials had plated hands.
    Thank you very much for your input!

    Wow, very observant comrade, and I'm sure you're right! No, I do not know that the hands are black, that was just an assumption on my part which I didn't question for a second .

    Look at this picture of the same watch and it's even less clear that the hands are black. More likely they are indeed gilded/plated. BTW, I paid $40 including shipping. Probably not a bargain, but probably, and hopefully, not too much either!?

    Name:  22.08.2016_wostok_6_-_2.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  68.7 KB
    Never use force. Get a bigger hammer.
    ~ Ratfacedgit

  3. #363
    Member schnurrp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    10,384

    Re: Q&A Expertise thread: Is this watch legit or a franken? Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by 24 Hours View Post
    Thank you very much for your input!

    Wow, very observant comrade, and I'm sure you're right! No, I do not know that the hands are black, that was just an assumption on my part which I didn't question for a second .

    Look at this picture of the same watch and it's even less clear that the hands are black. More likely they are indeed gilded/plated. BTW, I paid $40 including shipping. Probably not a bargain, but probably, and hopefully, not too much either!?

    Name:  22.08.2016_wostok_6_-_2.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  68.7 KB
    Yes, I believe black hands should appear at least as black as the printing on the dial. I think that's a good price for that, particularly if it's running well, which I hope it is.
    VWatchie likes this.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #364
    Member mroatman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Estonia
    Posts
    7,136

    Re: Q&A Expertise thread: Is this watch legit or a franken? Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by armanh View Post
    Hi guys and gals,
    Opinions on this Okean? A great deal just popped up on this, but wanna be sure before pulling the trigger. Everything looks OK to my untrained eyes, but I've been fooled before.
    Quote Originally Posted by schnurrp View Post
    That "shturmanskie" (not okeah) should have blue hands and the picture quality is not good enough for me to conclude the case and crowns are stainless. Looks like some brassing. Would also need a movement picture unless the price is so low as to be worth the trouble.
    Yeah, looks kinda frankie to me 😬😔

    I wouldn't buy without a movement photo.

  6. #365
    Member VWatchie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Sollentuna, SWEDEN
    Posts
    391

    Re: Q&A Expertise thread: Is this watch legit or a franken? Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by schnurrp View Post
    Yes, I believe black hands should appear at least as black as the printing on the dial. I think that's a good price for that, particularly if it's running well, which I hope it is.
    Well, that remains to be seen, and if it doesn't I'll try to make it run well. Practicing servicing my first 2414A now, so this would be my second. From what I found so far - and if I'm correct in my assumptions which I'm trying to get verified here - not all parts are interchangeable between the 2409 and the 2414A movements. So, if you or anyone else know for sure, your input would be more than welcome!
    Never use force. Get a bigger hammer.
    ~ Ratfacedgit

  7. #366
    Member schnurrp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    10,384

    Re: Q&A Expertise thread: Is this watch legit or a franken? Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by 24 Hours View Post
    Well, that remains to be seen, and if it doesn't I'll try to make it run well. Practicing servicing my first 2414A now, so this would be my second. From what I found so far - and if I'm correct in my assumptions which I'm trying to get verified here - not all parts are interchangeable between the 2409 and the 2414A movements. So, if you or anyone else know for sure, your input would be more than welcome!
    You are right about the only parts not interchangeable.

    You are wasting your time trying to salvage those hands with the lume in place. Remove the old lume, clean the hands, and re-lume with some off-white paint or any color you want since no other lume on the watch is still active. I have had some success cleaning dirt and corrosion using a q-tip and some red rouge. You have to be careful or you will remove the plating, though. It's very difficult to get a good outcome when trying to restore hands that far gone. They're never going to look that good but you can clean them up. Obvious defects such as pitting and plating loss will remain but at least they will be clean.
    Last edited by schnurrp; October 20th, 2017 at 00:47.
    VWatchie likes this.

  8. #367
    Member Dub Rubb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    1,394

    Re: Q&A Expertise thread: Is this watch legit or a franken? Part 2

    What do my fellow comrades think about this one? The hands look right to me for a komandirskie, as does the acrylic, but the amphibian caseback has me thrown off.

    I can't really tell the thickness of the glass from the pictures, but the case seems to be stainless as well.

    Do you guys think this is an amphibian, komandirskie, or franken? Thanks in advance comrades, you guys are the best! Also, I don't see any "made in" text on the dial.

    Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Dub Rubb; October 20th, 2017 at 08:45.

  9. #368
    Member schnurrp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    10,384

    Re: Q&A Expertise thread: Is this watch legit or a franken? Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Dub Rubb View Post
    What do my fellow comrades think about this one? The hands look right to me for a komandirskie, as does the acrylic, but the amphibian caseback has me thrown off.

    I can't really tell the thickness of the glass from the pictures, but the case seems to be stainless as well.

    Do you guys think this is an amphibian, komandirskie, or franken? Thanks in advance comrades, you guys are the best! Also, I don't see any "made in" text on the dial.

    Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk
    Interesting! A "komandirskie" dial in what looks like a type 420 amphibian case. Movement is stated as "automatic" on the back. Black hands like that are rarely, if ever, seen on a komandirskie. A classic "parts watch" from the turbulent early '90s? Impossible to say anything about "authenticity" unless an original buyer of the same watch responds to this thread....

    Interesting cocked numerals and unusual minute track.
    VWatchie likes this.

  10. #369
    Member schnurrp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    10,384

    Re: Q&A Expertise thread: Is this watch legit or a franken? Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by schnurrp View Post
    Interesting! A "komandirskie" dial in what looks like a type 420 amphibian case. Movement is stated as "automatic" on the back. Black hands like that are rarely, if ever, seen on a komandirskie. A classic "parts watch" from the turbulent early '90s? Impossible to say anything about "authenticity" unless an original buyer of the same watch responds to this thread....

    Interesting cocked numerals and unusual minute track.
    Similar type as this one from Michelle's collection without the lume pip on the bezel:


    Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 156
Size:  47.3 KB

    Forgot to mention the lack of jewel count which is unusual and inhibits authentication further.
    Last edited by schnurrp; October 20th, 2017 at 12:28.

  11. #370
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    354

    Re: Q&A Expertise thread: Is this watch legit or a franken? Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by schnurrp View Post
    Interesting! A "komandirskie" dial in what looks like a type 420 amphibian case.
    Doesn't look like a 420 case to me (unless they've changed the case shape over the years)?

Page 37 of 253 FirstFirst ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 87 137 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. Q&A Expertise thread: Is this watch legit or a franken?
      By emoscambio in forum Russian watches
      Replies: 3394
      Last Post: August 20th, 2017, 15:45
    2. &&&&&&&& WRUW 06/10/2015 &&&&&&&&&&
      By eblackmo in forum Affordable watches
      Replies: 90
      Last Post: October 8th, 2015, 20:56
    3. Replies: 92
      Last Post: May 21st, 2015, 17:36
    4. Replies: 73
      Last Post: May 21st, 2015, 08:19
    5. &&&&&&&& WRUW ON SATURDAY MAY 16th 2015 &&&&&&&&&
      By GDub in forum Affordable watches
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: May 16th, 2015, 04:46

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •