Q&A Expertise thread: Is this watch legit or a franken? Part 2 - Page 46
Like Tree2373Likes

Thread: Q&A Expertise thread: Is this watch legit or a franken? Part 2

Page 46 of 276 FirstFirst ... 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 96 146 ... LastLast

Re: Q&A Expertise thread: Is this watch legit or a franken?

Quote Originally Posted by Yurij View Post
    Yes, it actually said in the description of this watch. Then I sent seller a message asking if there were more parts that were re-done or changed, and he said that it was all original except for the lume.

Now with your help i have found my confidence to buy, and I just placed the order. I am one excited mother bleeper, comrade schnurrp!

Again thank you for your help! I must say I am very impressed with the level of solidarity, friendship and understanding in this forum :)
    You are welcome. Wear it in good health, comrade, which, since the original lume may have been radioactive, will be easier with new lume.

Here is a picture of your choice in comrade Mroatman's massive collection which I had to visit to make sure there was a model made without place-of-manufacture on the dial.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 165
Size:  87.0 KB
    Yurij and cptwalker like this.

Re: Q&A Expertise thread: Is this watch legit or a franken? Part 2

Here's the one-and-only sportivnie in my collection, the "swimmer" model. Everything's the same as the one you just bought except for the dial and hands:

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 169
Size:  133.1 KB
    Yurij, cptwalker, Victorv and 1 others like this.

Re: Q&A Expertise thread: Is this watch legit or a franken?

Quote Originally Posted by Yurij View Post
    Yes, it actually said in the description of this watch. Then I sent seller a message asking if there were more parts that were re-done or changed, and he said that it was all original except for the lume.

Now with your help i have found my confidence to buy, and I just placed the order. I am one excited mother bleeper, comrade schnurrp!

Again thank you for your help! I must say I am very impressed with the level of solidarity, friendship and understanding in this forum :)

Congratulations! You will be very happy with this watch. You definitely did the right thing by asking before buying!

If you want to wear this daily, you may want to consider replacing the strap that the seller appears to include. I can't tell for sure from the photos, but generally the ones I have received are pretty poor quality. Look for 16mm width, and keep in mind that this watch is small relative to more modern designs (33mm in diameter), so if you have bigger wrists, you may want to consider a bund or padded strap. There are some good threads on where to buy watch straps at a reasonable price.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hello gentlemen,

does anyone know more about this quartz beauty?
    I could not find it.

Thank you
    Name:  IMG_3365.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  1.08 MB
    kev80e likes this.

Rodkopf - there's one of these watches on the internet with documentation dated to 04 09 1990 https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...tch-1691810698

In 1989 a number of important hockey players in the USSR were allowed to leave and join Canadian clubs, but were obliged to play for the USSR team in the World Hockey Championships. If the date is September 1990, it seems possible that this watch was part of the celebration of the April 1990 championship held in Switzerland (and won by the USSR) or made in advance for the 1991 championships held in Finland. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_Ho..._Championships

A related Slava quartz watch was made to commemorate the meeting of Bush and Gorbachev in Malta aboard the USSR Slava and USA Belknap ships in early December 1989:
    Name:  Slava_USSR_USN_Belknap.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  53.6 KB
    Last edited by Neruda; November 10th, 2017 at 23:06.
    schnurrp likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kalvinoz View Post
    Hello everyone - seeking your expert opinion on this Sturmanskie 17j. I've been looking for a piece like that in not a terrible state, but have some doubts about this one:
    - the hour and minute hand are either new or have been relumed (is it possible to tell the difference?)
    - the case looks a bit too clean/polished compared with the condition of the dial
    - most worryingly, the Geneva stripes appear to not be present on all plates
    On the bright side:
    - the crown looks the right shape
    - the dial shows age (faded red, greenish edges, faded loom)
    Finally, what's the going-rate for a watch in this condition (assuming it's mostly legit)?
    I think you got it about right here. Everything looks correct (movement included), though the case is probably replaced, the hands are probably relumed, and the second hand looks a tiny bit too short. These are not dealbreakers on their own unless the price is astronomical. The going rate for these seems to be ~$350-600+.

I'd say it's a very nice, authentic example with just a few small compromises. Hard to find a watch this collectible without any of those, though.

Quote Originally Posted by schnurrp View Post
    Everything's the same as the one you just bought except for the dial and hands:
    Surprisingly not, comrade! Sportivnie were produced in two case sizes; you have the smaller one with two-piece back. The larger case has a one-piece back, just like the 17-jewel Sturmanskie.

You can also usually distinguish the two from the front, as the smaller case has thinner lugs and a dial with the '1MWF from Kirova' text. The larger model has thicker lugs and omits this text for some reason.

The 'swimmer' model was only produced in the smaller size, I believe. But many of the other models were produced in both sizes:

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-11-10 at 23.42.04.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  174.5 KB

I can't explain why, since they're so dang similar. Perhaps the two-piece back was released as a later development for better water-resistance.

Quote Originally Posted by Neruda View Post
    In 1989 a number of important hockey players in the USSR were allowed to leave and join Canadian clubs, but were obliged to play for the USSR team in the World Hockey Championships.
    Relatedly, this is worth a watch: Red Army (2014) - IMDb

Quote Originally Posted by mroatman View Post
    Surprisingly not, comrade! Sportivnie were produced in two case sizes; you have the smaller one with two-piece back. The larger case has a one-piece back, just like the 17-jewel Sturmanskie.

You can also usually distinguish the two from the front, as the smaller case has thinner lugs and a dial with the '1MWF from Kirova' text. The larger model has thicker lugs and omits this text for some reason.

The 'swimmer' model was only produced in the smaller size, I believe. But many of the other models were produced in both sizes:

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-11-10 at 23.42.04.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  174.5 KB

I can't explain why, since they're so dang similar. Perhaps the two-piece back was released as a later development for better water-resistance.
    Thanks for that correction, comrade mroatman. When are you going to add more views of the watches in your collection so that we can help ourselves? Although I seemed to have looked right past the back view of my swimmer.

Quote Originally Posted by schnurrp View Post
    When are you going to add more views of the watches in your collection so that we can help ourselves?
    I think about it almost every day...... :(

Page 46 of 276 FirstFirst ... 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 96 146 ... LastLast

Thread Information