Q&A Expertise thread: Is this watch legit or a franken? Part 2 - Page 50
Like Tree2372Likes

Thread: Q&A Expertise thread: Is this watch legit or a franken? Part 2

Page 50 of 278 FirstFirst ... 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 100 150 ... LastLast

Re: Q&A Expertise thread: Is this watch legit or a franken? Part 2

Hi comrades,

This came in today, sold to me by a pretty lady eBayer from Serbia.

It's a pre-owned automatic 23-jeweled Poljot with day and date complications, and equipped with a date setting button at the 8 o'clock position to complement the crown at 3. No movement shots were taken by her, and the case back opener that I have on order had not arrived yet. The only watch-related equipment that I have in hand right now is a spring bar tool. Better this way I suppose - I'm curious, and complemented by a pair of "itchy" hands, would love nothing better than to take things apart, sometimes with a less than desirable outcome. I still haven't found a replacement for the ink feed that I snapped in 2 that belonged to one of my ST Dupont fountain pens, and I was told that the price for said ink feed complements the prices one would expect for that brand (TL;DR = expensive)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20171116_135209_HDR.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	2.82 MB 
ID:	12659657

Name:	IMG_20171116_135323_HDR.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	2.76 MB 
ID:	12659659

The ticking machine in the watch is possibly the Poljot 2627 (automatic, central second hand, date and day windows), but until I get the case back off we'll never know, don't we?. So far it seems to keep time well enough during these last few hours since I took possession of it.

I suspect this is possibly a monster (of the Franken variety), since the Latinised date does not seem to gel well with the overall Cyrillic theme, and I'm not sure whether the second hand is the correct one for this watch. Any experts here who can chime in?

Thanks.

Shahrin

Quote Originally Posted by shahrincamille View Post
    Hi comrades,

This came in today, sold to me by a pretty lady eBayer from Serbia.

It's a pre-owned automatic 23-jeweled Poljot with day and date complications, and equipped with a date setting button at the 8 o'clock position to complement the crown at 3. No movement shots were taken by her, and the case back opener that I have on order had not arrived yet. The only watch-related equipment that I have in hand right now is a spring bar tool. Better this way I suppose - I'm curious, and complemented by a pair of "itchy" hands, would love nothing better than to take things apart, sometimes with a less than desirable outcome. I still haven't found a replacement for the ink feed that I snapped in 2 that belonged to one of my ST Dupont fountain pens, and I was told that the price for said ink feed complements the prices one would expect for that brand (TL;DR = expensive)

Name:	IMG_20171116_135209_HDR.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	2.82 MB 
ID:	12659657

Name:	IMG_20171116_135323_HDR.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	2.76 MB 
ID:	12659659

The ticking machine in the watch is possibly the Poljot 2627 (automatic, central second hand, date and day windows), but until I get the case back off we'll never know, don't we?. So far it seems to keep time well enough during these last few hours since I took possession of it.

I suspect this is possibly a monster (of the Franken variety), since the Latinised date does not seem to gel well with the overall Cyrillic theme, and I'm not sure whether the second hand is the correct one for this watch. Any experts here who can chime in?

Thanks.

Shahrin
    I agree with your assessment, comrade.

It's sometimes possible to turn the back ring with a screwdriver or some other such tool placed in one of the ring slots at an angle to push it around, if it's not on too tight. I've also used a pair of scissors with pointy enough tips placed in two opposing slots in the ring. This is a robust assembly unlikely to be broken. Scratches are another matter so be careful if you try.
    shahrincamille likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by schnurrp View Post

It's sometimes possible to turn the back ring with a screwdriver or some other such tool placed in one of the ring slots at an angle to push it around, if it's not on too tight. I've also used a pair of scissors with pointy enough tips placed in two opposing slots in the ring. This is a robust assembly unlikely to be broken. Scratches are another matter so be careful if you try.
    Forgot to mention that the Cyrillic word for "automatic" is found on the case back.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by schnurrp View Post

Thanks for the suggestion, comrade. Not too worried about scratches - I got it real cheap practically low-balled the seller with my offer

So far the watch had been pretty accurate, and still running despite the fact I still had not put in on my wrist yet, thus far. The bracelet is too large for my wrist, and it's filthy so it needs a good clean up lest I contract some skin disease on my wrist. Would this watch be water resistant enough to withstand a couple of splashes, in case I decide to run the bracelet under the tap and give it a good scrub with an old toothbrush?

Shahrin

Quote Originally Posted by shahrincamille View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion, comrade. Not too worried about scratches - I got it real cheap practically low-balled the seller with my offer

So far the watch had been pretty accurate, and still running despite the fact I still had not put in on my wrist yet, thus far. The bracelet is too large for my wrist, and it's filthy so it needs a good clean up lest I contract some skin disease on my wrist. Would this watch be water resistant enough to withstand a couple of splashes, in case I decide to run the bracelet under the tap and give it a good scrub with an old toothbrush?

Shahrin
    Probably be okay but I wouldn't risk it. I would remove the band and replace it. A watch like this was not sold with a band so there's no telling where it came from and replacing it would not affect the authenticity, for me and it will be easier to clean the whole watch case with your toothbrush. with the band off. Usually a lot of "gunk" between the lugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dub Rubb View Post
    What do you guys think about this one? Thanks in advance comrades!
    It's definitely odd to see a lumed dial without lumed hands. I mean, think about the utility of that. Completely pointless.

I've got the Sekonda version of this model (with lumed hands).

Name:  594bb0_ae70e8e63431436b9415730c0a3a0d7b~mv2.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  335.4 KB

And the catalog seems to indicated lumed hands as well.

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-11-16 at 15.30.40.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  76.4 KB

That said, the watch looks fantastic and consistent otherwise, so I can't be positive.

Quote Originally Posted by mroatman View Post
    It's definitely odd to see a lumed dial without lumed hands. I mean, think about the utility of that. Completely pointless.

That said, the watch looks fantastic and consistent otherwise, so I can't be positive.
    Yes, hard to figure how that happened. Maybe a mistake was made by a new assembler at First Moscow which is why it was never sold although with an engraved back I guess it was. It's possible the original buyer did not like the original hands and asked for those instead despite the utility (or a very carefully assembled "franken").

Quote Originally Posted by mroatman View Post

Thanks mroatman! I actually looked through your collection, and found the watch you posted as the closest to the one I was looking at. I was just unsure of the relationship between poljot and sekonda, and that maybe there were subtle differences.

However, you are right, the lumed dial without lumed hands is borderline comical ( as is Russian lume!).

Anyways, I think I am going to go ahead with the purchase as I still like the look of the watch and it has one of the better looking inscriptions I have seen.

Thanks again for the help, you guys are a huge part of why I am enjoying this new hobby!

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk
    mroatman likes this.

Sorry to clog up the thread, but it feels strange not having something coming in the mail.

This watch looks pretty good to me, but my knowledge of slavas is limited.

I found a similar one in mroatman's collection, but I see differences in the bezel and dial.

Thanks again for all the help comrades!Name:  il_570xN.1155870073_nwa2.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  40.7 KBName:  il_570xN.1155870071_cwgc.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  38.8 KBName:  il_fullxfull.1155870233_knm2.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  99.8 KB

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dub Rubb View Post
    However, you are right, the lumed dial without lumed hands is borderline comical
    I'd rather have a watch where you have to guess the position of the markers, rather than one where you have to guess the position of the hands. Some people say they are equally useless, but I disagree (unless the watch is on somebody else's arm).
    mroatman and shahrincamille like this.
    Chascomm
    Moderator, Russian Watches & Chinese Mechanical Watches Forums
    (no, I am not going to list all my watches here)

Page 50 of 278 FirstFirst ... 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 100 150 ... LastLast

Thread Information