Q&A Expertise thread: Is this watch legit or a franken? Part 2 - Page 51
Like Tree2372Likes

Thread: Q&A Expertise thread: Is this watch legit or a franken? Part 2

Page 51 of 278 FirstFirst ... 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 101 151 ... LastLast
Results 501 to 510 of 2771
  1. #501
    Member shahrincamille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Rawang, Malaysia
    Posts
    202

    Re: Q&A Expertise thread: Is this watch legit or a franken? Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by shahrincamille View Post
    Hi comrades,

    This came in today, sold to me by a pretty lady eBayer from Serbia.

    It's a pre-owned automatic 23-jeweled Poljot with day and date complications, and equipped with a date setting button at the 8 o'clock position to complement the crown at 3. No movement shots were taken by her, and the case back opener that I have on order had not arrived yet. The only watch-related equipment that I have in hand right now is a spring bar tool. Better this way I suppose - I'm curious, and complemented by a pair of "itchy" hands, would love nothing better than to take things apart, sometimes with a less than desirable outcome. I still haven't found a replacement for the ink feed that I snapped in 2 that belonged to one of my ST Dupont fountain pens, and I was told that the price for said ink feed complements the prices one would expect for that brand (TL;DR = expensive)

    Attachment 12659657

    Attachment 12659659

    The ticking machine in the watch is possibly the Poljot 2627 (automatic, central second hand, date and day windows), but until I get the case back off we'll never know, don't we?. So far it seems to keep time well enough during these last few hours since I took possession of it.

    I suspect this is possibly a monster (of the Franken variety), since the Latinised date does not seem to gel well with the overall Cyrillic theme, and I'm not sure whether the second hand is the correct one for this watch. Any experts here who can chime in?

    Thanks.



    Shahrin
    As a follow-up to this interesting FrankenPoljot that I posted up yesterday, I managed to pop open the case back with the spring bar tool and found something interesting...

    Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG_20171117_140415_HDR.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	759.8 KB
ID:	12662431


    Instead of finding a 2627 in there, it's actually a 2616.2H.

    But IIRC the 2616 should NOT have a DAY window. Thing is the day did change to Friday (today) from yesterday's Thursday, so implying that the day function is working in this watch. So does the 2616.2 version support the day function too?

    I cleaned up the watch with an old toothbrush and some liquid hand soap, after removing the bracelet. Yup, there's loads of gunk in between the lugs, and now the watch looks much better

    Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG_20171117_140502_HDR.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	747.6 KB
ID:	12662441

    I'm quite amazed by this watch's power reserve. I haven't worn it, shook it up just a few times yesterday (last shake was at about 7pm yesterday, less than 10 times), and the watch only stopped this morning at about 9am


    Shahrin

  2. #502
    Member shahrincamille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Rawang, Malaysia
    Posts
    202

    Re: Q&A Expertise thread: Is this watch legit or a franken? Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by shahrincamille View Post
    As a follow-up to this interesting FrankenPoljot that I posted up yesterday, I managed to pop open the case back with the spring bar tool and found something interesting...

    Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG_20171117_140415_HDR.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	759.8 KB
ID:	12662431


    Instead of finding a 2627 in there, it's actually a 2616.2H.

    But IIRC the 2616 should NOT have a DAY window. Thing is the day did change to Friday (today) from yesterday's Thursday, so implying that the day function is working in this watch. So does the 2616.2 version support the day function too?

    I cleaned up the watch with an old toothbrush and some liquid hand soap, after removing the bracelet. Yup, there's loads of gunk in between the lugs, and now the watch looks much better

    Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG_20171117_140502_HDR.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	747.6 KB
ID:	12662441

    I'm quite amazed by this watch's power reserve. I haven't worn it, shook it up just a few times yesterday (last shake was at about 7pm yesterday, less than 10 times), and the watch only stopped this morning at about 9am


    Shahrin

    Perhaps there were 2616.2 movements with date and day function.

    https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-RUS...s/182857563831

    If that's the situation, perhaps russian-codes require a tweak?



    Shahrin

  3. #503
    Member mroatman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Estonia
    Posts
    7,136

    Re: Q&A Expertise thread: Is this watch legit or a franken? Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Dub Rubb View Post
    However, you are right, the lumed dial without lumed hands is borderline comical ( as is Russian lume!).
    Quote Originally Posted by Chascomm View Post
    I'd rather have a watch where you have to guess the position of the markers, rather than one where you have to guess the position of the hands. Some people say they are equally useless, but I disagree (unless the watch is on somebody else's arm).
    Then again, as Dub suggests, it's unlikely the lume is of that much use after all these years anyway.

    I've found several examples of Soviet watches with lumed hands and unlumed dials, but only one instance of the other way around -- so it seems the Soviet designers agreed with you, Chas. You're right that functionally, they are not equal.


    Quote Originally Posted by Dub Rubb View Post
    Anyways, I think I am going to go ahead with the purchase as I still like the look of the watch and it has one of the better looking inscriptions I have seen.
    I think I would have done the same, if the price was right. It looks great to me.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #504
    Member mroatman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Estonia
    Posts
    7,136

    Re: Q&A Expertise thread: Is this watch legit or a franken? Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Dub Rubb View Post
    This watch looks pretty good to me, but my knowledge of slavas is limited.
    Looks alright to me. It stands to reason that various dial colors were produced, including red.


    Name:  Screen Shot 2017-11-17 at 10.57.54.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  74.6 KB

    Name:  Screen Shot 2017-11-17 at 10.57.16.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  67.0 KB

    Name:  Screen Shot 2017-11-17 at 10.58.57.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  57.6 KB

    Name:  Screen Shot 2017-11-17 at 10.59.15.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  57.5 KB


    Personally, I still like to lume-lacking Poljot, if it's down to those two 😉

  6. #505
    Member mroatman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Estonia
    Posts
    7,136

    Re: Q&A Expertise thread: Is this watch legit or a franken? Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by shahrincamille View Post
    Perhaps there were 2616.2 movements with date and day function.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-RUS...s/182857563831
    If that's the situation, perhaps russian-codes require a tweak?
    Unlikely. The bridge with the caliber stamped on it is fully interchangeable between the 2616 and 2627, so more than likely someone has repaired/reconstructed these movements using replacement parts.

    This happens from time to time -- most often with Vostoks, in my experience -- but doesn't mean the caliber has changed.

  7. #506
    Member schnurrp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    10,463

    Re: Q&A Expertise thread: Is this watch legit or a franken? Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by mroatman View Post
    Unlikely. The bridge with the caliber stamped on it is fully interchangeable between the 2616 and 2627, so more than likely someone has repaired/reconstructed these movements using replacement parts.

    This happens from time to time -- most often with Vostoks, in my experience -- but doesn't mean the caliber has changed.
    That's right but in this case the bridge is part of the auto mechanism, even easier to change.

  8. #507
    Member schnurrp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    10,463

    Re: Q&A Expertise thread: Is this watch legit or a franken? Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by mroatman View Post
    Looks alright to me. It stands to reason that various dial colors were produced, including red.


    Name:  Screen Shot 2017-11-17 at 10.57.54.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  74.6 KB

    Name:  Screen Shot 2017-11-17 at 10.57.16.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  67.0 KB

    Name:  Screen Shot 2017-11-17 at 10.58.57.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  57.6 KB

    Name:  Screen Shot 2017-11-17 at 10.59.15.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  57.5 KB


    Personally, I still like to lume-lacking Poljot, if it's down to those two 
    What gave me pause about the subject watch is the case. Here's a picture showing the case, upper right, on the same page as the more often seen one, lower left. No particular reason to be surprised that the arrow-head dial would be found in both cases, but it improves the chance, in my mind, that somebody switched cases after the fact.

    Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 193
Size:  74.6 KB

  9. #508
    Member mroatman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Estonia
    Posts
    7,136

    Re: Q&A Expertise thread: Is this watch legit or a franken? Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by schnurrp View Post
    What gave me pause about the subject watch is the case.
    Ah, I missed that those textured details on the bezel don't go all the way around on the watches I posted.

  10. #509
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Espaa
    Posts
    433

    Re: Q&A Expertise thread: Is this watch legit or a franken? Part 2

    IS IT CORRECT?

    Click image for larger version.

Name:	s-l1600 (47).jpg
Views:	183
Size:	269.8 KB
ID:	12663753 Click image for larger version.

Name:	s-l1600 (48).jpg
Views:	179
Size:	265.8 KB
ID:	12663755

  11. #510
    Member schnurrp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    10,463

    Re: Q&A Expertise thread: Is this watch legit or a franken? Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by junkman View Post
    IS IT CORRECT?

    Click image for larger version.

Name:	s-l1600 (47).jpg
Views:	183
Size:	269.8 KB
ID:	12663753 Click image for larger version.

Name:	s-l1600 (48).jpg
Views:	179
Size:	265.8 KB
ID:	12663755
    I would say so, yes.......although it needs a back.
    mroatman likes this.

Page 51 of 278 FirstFirst ... 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 101 151 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. Q&A Expertise thread: Is this watch legit or a franken?
      By emoscambio in forum Russian watches
      Replies: 3394
      Last Post: August 20th, 2017, 15:45
    2. &&&&&&&& WRUW 06/10/2015 &&&&&&&&&&
      By eblackmo in forum Affordable watches
      Replies: 90
      Last Post: October 8th, 2015, 20:56
    3. Replies: 92
      Last Post: May 21st, 2015, 17:36
    4. Replies: 73
      Last Post: May 21st, 2015, 08:19
    5. &&&&&&&& WRUW ON SATURDAY MAY 16th 2015 &&&&&&&&&
      By GDub in forum Affordable watches
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: May 16th, 2015, 04:46

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts