Q&A Expertise thread: Is this watch legit or a franken? Part 2 - Page 54
Like Tree2372Likes

Thread: Q&A Expertise thread: Is this watch legit or a franken? Part 2

Page 54 of 278 FirstFirst ... 4 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 104 154 ... LastLast

Re: Q&A Expertise thread: Is this watch legit or a franken? Part 2

Quote Originally Posted by junkman View Post
    Hi, you can help me with these two, I have searched catalogs and I have not found anything.
    Attachment 12673973 Attachment 12673975

Attachment 12673979 Attachment 12673981
    I don't see any particular reason to reject these as not authentic since they don't appear to be made up of parts from other watches, but I've never seen them before and I was not able to find them in any catalogs. I wouldn't be particularly interested in buying unless the price was right or someone else had one in their collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Neruda View Post
    24 Hours - nice watch and I believe, completely authentic. Vostok have made a number of automatic Komandirskies over the years (and still do). Your example with the dolphin caseback corresponds to the 1990s, and the lack of "made in Russia" suggests to me a date circa 1992-1995. Not exceptionally rare, but not one of the most common models either.
    Quote Originally Posted by mariomart View Post
    The automatic Komandirskie case is often referred to as the Generalskie case. Great gift
    Thank you for this very interesting information! I'm not using it until I've serviced it (don't want to take any risks), but it's amazing that after decades of not being used it starts to tick as soon as I just pick it up and move it around a bit! These Vostok movements are amazing!
    mariomart likes this.
    Never use force. Get a bigger hammer.
    ~ Ratfacedgit

Quote Originally Posted by 24 Hours View Post
    Thank you for this very interesting information! I'm not using it until I've serviced it (don't want to take any risks), but it's amazing that after decades of not being used it starts to tick as soon as I just pick it up and move it around a bit! These Vostok movements are amazing!
    What risks? A mechanical watch movement like that will stop functioning long before any damage can be done by a lack of service. If it's running and keeping decent time I don't see any reason not to use it.
    mroatman likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by schnurrp View Post
    What risks? A mechanical watch movement like that will stop functioning long before any damage can be done by a lack of service. If it's running and keeping decent time I don't see any reason not to use it.
    Not sure what I meant exactly! It's ticking alright, but I haven't put it on my Timegrapher so I really don't know how well it's doing. Not ever having been serviced (I would pretty safely assume) I simply assumed the lubrication/oils would be "expired" affecting amplitude, wear on pinions, and so on and so forth. It could be that I'm misinformed about the longevity of watch oils. All I know is that all my Moebius watch oils have and expiration date. I guess I was thinking servicing it would eliminate any risks of the movement not performing optimally or any risks of unnecessary wear. Anyway, I'm just a hobbyist, and I don't have lot of experience (as you well know). So as I said, these are just my assumptions!
    Last edited by VWatchie; November 27th, 2017 at 08:59.
    ~ Ratfacedgit

Not sure what I meant exactly! It's ticking alright, but I haven't put it on my Timegrapher so I really don't know how well it's doing. Not ever having been serviced (I would pretty safely assume) I simply assumed the lubrication/oils would be "expired" affecting amplitude, wear and tear on pinions, and so on and so forth. It could be that I'm misinformed about the longevity of watch oils. All I know is that all my Moebius watch oils have and expiration date. I guess I was thinking servicing it would eliminate any risks of the movement not performing optimally or any risks of unnecessary wear and tear. Anyway, I'm just a hobbyist, and I don't have lot of experience (as you well know). So as I said, these are just my assumptions!
    Yes, I realize that and I was just trying to point out that your assumptions are incorrect. You have a timegrapher and you're going to put a working watch in for a service without even seeing how it's functioning? Afraid of wear and tear on your timegrapher?

I know it's little expensive, but is it real??

https://www.ebay.com/itm/V-RARE-Coll...19.m1438.l2649
    VWatchie and bpmurray like this.

Yes, I realize that and I was just trying to point out that your assumptions are incorrect.
    So, do you mean that the quality of, or even the lack of, oils/lubrication has no impact on the wear of the movement? If the answer is yes I will not question it (as I said I'm indeed a novice), but I would appreciate if you could elaborate as I find it unlikely when trying to reason it.

You have a timegrapher and you're going to put a working watch in for a service without even seeing how it's functioning?
    Well no, I will put it on the Timegrapher before I start the service so as to be able to compare the results, but even if it performs flawlessly I will service it for the pleasure of servicing (it has a therapeutic effect on my soul) and for the pleasure of knowing it has fresh oils. Plus, I just bet it will have a positive effect on the amplitude, but of course that remains to be seen.

Afraid of wear and tear on your timegrapher?
    Well of course not! Now you're just being silly!
    Last edited by VWatchie; November 27th, 2017 at 09:04.
    ~ Ratfacedgit

Well of course not! Now you're just being silly!
    Yes, you are right, comrade, and thanks for being a good sport.

I am usually very curious about my new acquisitions and can't wait to see what their performance is on the timegrapher.

As far as wear is concerned, the forces in a mechanical watch are so small (even a slight contact of the second hand with another hand or the dial face is enough to stop everything) that the lack of proper lubrication and/or presence of dust or dirt brings the gear train to a stop long before the friction between the metal gear shafts and the bearings have a chance to do any harm. I have never heard a knowledgeable watchmaker (I'm a rank amateur) warn against running a watch with an unknown service record.

If you are contemplating doing the service yourself, that's different. Have at it. I thought you were going to have it serviced by someone else.
    VWatchie likes this.

I am quite new to watch collection and I can across this in a vintage shop in Bishkek, it says USSR in Latin so I am a bit worried it could be a Frankenstein :$ thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Almost forgot, I also found this vintage Komandirskie! Can't tell if it is Propper USSR made or a later version though (it does seem like it's been through a lot!)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 54 of 278 FirstFirst ... 4 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 104 154 ... LastLast

Thread Information