Q&A Expertise thread: Is this watch legit or a franken? Part 2 - Page 94
Like Tree2372Likes

Thread: Q&A Expertise thread: Is this watch legit or a franken? Part 2

Page 94 of 278 FirstFirst ... 44 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 144 194 ... LastLast

Re: Q&A Expertise thread: Is this watch legit or a franken? Part 2

I NEVER go to those 'antique jewelry and watches' shows that are in hotel conference centers. Never. They are always jam packed with "Swiss' watches from the '50s and '60s at ridiculous prices and snotty dealers.
    But my mother wanted to go because there were a few vendors that advertised that they buy vintage costume jewelry and she has a lot of it from her mother.
    So we went to one yesterday.

While I was just looking, I found a dealer with a bunch of Soviet era 'Dirskies, and was looking at those. He was loudly spouting the usual 'Only given to members of the Special Forces! These were only available to the military! $100 each!' and I almost passed out from laughing. The dealer a couple down from him saw my reaction and asked if I was going to laugh at his Soviet watches as well. He had a 119 cased export Amphibia, a 1MWF Pobeda, a couple of '70s or '80s Latin dialed Poljots, a basic 3133 and this
    Name:  IMG_3977.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  599.5 KBName:  IMG_3976.jpg
Size:  1.10 MB

I asked to see it, asked the price, saw that it worked, haggled with him some and then bought it.

Hopefully I didn't get taken. It wasn't eBay expensive, but it wasn't cheap either.

Dated 1-54

Well done TPK

I love the dial, it still looks fresh and all the lume matches

I don't know a lot about these but to my untrained eye it all looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePossumKing View Post
    I NEVER go to those 'antique jewelry and watches' shows that are in hotel conference centers. Never. They are always jam packed with "Swiss' watches from the '50s and '60s at ridiculous prices and snotty dealers.
    But my mother wanted to go because there were a few vendors that advertised that they buy vintage costume jewelry and she has a lot of it from her mother.
    So we went to one yesterday.

While I was just looking, I found a dealer with a bunch of Soviet era 'Dirskies, and was looking at those. He was loudly spouting the usual 'Only given to members of the Special Forces! These were only available to the military! $100 each!' and I almost passed out from laughing. The dealer a couple down from him saw my reaction and asked if I was going to laugh at his Soviet watches as well. He had a 119 cased export Amphibia, a 1MWF Pobeda, a couple of '70s or '80s Latin dialed Poljots, a basic 3133 and this
    Name:  IMG_3977.jpg
Size:  599.5 KBName:  IMG_3976.jpg
Size:  1.10 MB

I asked to see it, asked the price, saw that it worked, haggled with him some and then bought it.

Hopefully I didn't get taken. It wasn't eBay expensive, but it wasn't cheap either.

Dated 1-54

Looks like the wrong movement, comrade. Does it hack?

If it doesn't and you don't want to fool with trying to find a very rare movement, pm me, I may be interested in buying it at the right price for parts (I also have some nice trading bait).

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by schnurrp View Post

If it doesn't and you don't want to fool with trying to find a very rare movement, pm me, I may be interested in buying it at the right price for parts (I also have some nice trading bait).
    It does hack. That was the second thing I checked

It does hack. That was the second thing I checked
    Yes, I've seen that before. The recessed jewels usually found on the hacking 41-m movements really have nothing to do with the hacking of the movement so it is possible to see a movement like yours with flush jewels that still hacks. This is what most collectors like to see in their sturmanskies of that age:

Name:  capture.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  132.9 KB

Still interested if you want to sell it.

his is what most collectors like to see in their sturmanskies of that age:
    I, too, had the same initial reaction as schnurrp. Looks like a "regular" Pobeda movement. But looking more closely, this just doesn't make sense -- everything else is too perfect.

I think the photo you took does not show the depth of the jewel recesses. If I look very hard, kind of squint, and tilt my head to the side a little, I think I can just barely make out the larger jewel wells on your movement. If you could post another movement photo at a slight angle (not directly from above), that will confirm it.

However you cut it, that's one of the nicest cases, crowns, dials, and handsets I've seen in a long time. Even if it were a quartz movement inside, the watch would have some serious value. And I think I see sparkles........

Quote Originally Posted by mroatman View Post
    Well that answers that! As soon as I posted I knew I was a numpty... great reference btw!
    mroatman likes this.

I, too, had the same initial reaction as schnurrp. Looks like a "regular" Pobeda movement. But looking more closely, this just doesn't make sense -- everything else is too perfect.

I think the photo you took does not show the depth of the jewel recesses. If I look very hard, kind of squint, and tilt my head to the side a little, I think I can just barely make out the larger jewel wells on your movement. If you could post another movement photo at a slight angle (not directly from above), that will confirm it.

However you cut it, that's one of the nicest cases, crowns, dials, and handsets I've seen in a long time. Even if it were a quartz movement inside, the watch would have some serious value. And I think I see sparkles........
    I think you're right, comrade.

I think there are no recesses on the plate - the reflection of the 'geneve stripes' look straight.
    Also I'm not sure if Sturmanskie were in production in '54 - I've seen from '50 to '53 and don't remember '54.
    But as the main plate is genuine (with decoration under the balance, while Pobeda's is without), maybe it's original - and maybe in '54 there were no plates with recesses, so a normal plate was mounted.

It's interesting to see the inside of the back - it should be without decoration.

Regards, Miro.
    schnurrp and mroatman like this.

GM7
    Hello friends. I was lurking and having serious fun while reading this thread. I am a young guy and just started my journey in the watch world with a Seiko snkn90j1.
    I called my father and asked him, if he has any watches at home and yes he did.

So I will post now (my) small collection of Russian watches.

First of all, do they look real/undamaged. Second is it worth paying for their cleaning /repairing if needed? I used Google and this amazing forum, and my watches don't seem to be expensive. I will try to keep them as a memento, because there is some small details about them and father prohibited to sell them.

Soo..
    Nr. 1 is Poljot de luxe 29 jewels automatic. This was my grandfather's, he bought it when he bought his first own car. I believe it is working OK. When I move it, I kind of hear it winding itself, is this OK?

Nr. 2 is a newer Poljot alarm, which was my father's. He bought it while visiting St. Petersburg in 199x. He was using it a lot..

Nr. 3 is Molnija pocket watch. It was just found in a drawer. No story.

Nr. 4 is slava, it is working, except day of the week is stuck. Would it be costly to fix?

Nr. 5 is my mother's watch, my dad bought it for her twenty something years ago, but she doesn't like golden color.

So, do you guys have any comments.

Thank you for your time and attention. I am having a blast enjoying this new hobby of mine.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information