WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Q&A Expertise thread: Is this watch legit or a franken? Part 2

244K views 3K replies 196 participants last post by  EndeavourDK 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
(This is the continuation from an earlier thread : https://www.watchuseek.com/f10/q-expertise-thread-watch-legit-franken-894887.html
Please post here your questions to the forum community, when you suspect something wrong on a watch or just want to be sure. You will surely receive a quick answer from the many experts in different technical fields and different brands.

Do not post in the "
Franken of the week" thread that is a showcase reserved for undisputably frankened timepieces.
- the moderator)

I know Slava made quite a few versions of this style watch. But what do you think of this one?

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Material property

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

See less See more
#3 ·
#6 ·
Re: Q&A Expertise thread: Is this watch legit or a franken?

Does anybody have any insight into this model, and any opinions on this example in particular please?

I really like the style and have been looking out for one for a while. This example seems to be in very good condition and have the right case, crown and hands (the arrow second hand is often replaced) but the lume is a bit all over the place.

If anyone has ever seen one of these in a catalogue that would also be a great help. I've failed to find it myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 ·

Does anybody have any insight into this model, and any opinions on this example in particular please?

I really like the style and have been looking out for one for a while. This example seems to be in very good condition and have the right case, crown and hands (the arrow second hand is often replaced) but the lume is a bit all over the place.

If anyone has ever seen one of these in a catalogue that would also be a great help. I've failed to find it myself.
The Cyrillic version can be seen here.
Hard to tell if this example had been relumed, but should that be the case it doesn't look bad anyway IMHO.

#20 ·

Attachments

#15 · (Edited)
Hi All - new to the world of vintage Russian watches, but I love it already... dangerous!

Please could you let me know what you think of these two?
The komandirskie has an incorrect case, incorrect seconds hand, and incorrect case back. I'd avoid it. There are quite a lot if this same dialed model available on eBay/Etsy. It should look like this, in either gold plated or chromed brass:

Edit - actually, everything looks wrong. The hands should be gold, not silver, and the numbers on the dial don't look to be the correct style either. Good luck!

#18 ·
jamesnorrisuk - the komandirskie also has a new dial. Note that the bottom of the number 2 at 12 o'clock has a raised end, compared to bpmurray's correct example which doesn't. Note also that the lume applied to the indices is very crisp, original lume was applied more erratically.

The other Vostok also has a wrong caseback - it's an export model (English lettering on dial and movement) and the case should normally have English lettering. It is also for the wrong movment, 2214 when the movement is a 2209.

Another tip: In general, look very carefully at any watch coming out of the Ukraine. Certainly not all are frankens or fakes but unfortunately many are!

#28 · (Edited)

As none bothered to indulge me with an opinion concerning that humble mini Komanirskie, I finally bought it as my first Cadet.
They always seemd rather intriguing in the pictures, I shall see in real life.
As for the authenticity, I suppose it didn't qualified for the exigency of a such qualified audience of this topic but at less then 10 euros delivered, I guess I don't have much to loose.

#26 ·
Thanks for the info!!

The Sekonda...I found these in the Slava 1979 catalog...very close...enough that it was worth a shot LOL!!

The dial on the upper left one is close but the hands are more like the one on the upper right and I could not find that simple round case anywhere. It's possible it's authentic and I hope it keeps good time and you enjoy it, but for me, with so many choices out there, why choose something doubtful?

#46 ·
XsiOn, your watch dates from around 1981-82' military issue Sturmanskie, it appears that the dial and hands have been re-lumed at some point, the minute counter hand and chrono sweep hand (red hands) are modern non Poljot replacements. That aside the movement is in good original condition.

#48 · (Edited)
I assume this isn't an original dial ,but just wanted to check the experts.
View attachment 12445691
I don't see anything to complain about, Kev. There were some NOS dials available some months ago that were authentic. The easiest way to weed out the fakes is to look at the North Pole. On the fakes the longitudinal lines are discontinuous.

Fake:
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

I'm not sure about that second hand, though. The shaft looks thick and the "sputnik" looks small. Also I believe the authentic black dial, chrome body should have chrome hands, pretty rare, only Poljot that uses the chrome hands like these.

Someone had a chrome body, bought the NOS black dial and then was stymied and had to use a set of gold hands. Just a possibility, of course.

#53 · (Edited)
Hello all, my first Baker and something is off.
In the catalog and forum images I found:
-never a Baker with black hands on blue background
-never black hands combined with white marks on the dial
Sold as 100% original but for me the hands come from another baker with a different color scheme.
Any opinions?
Cheers
Peter
Hi Peter, I think you're right. I believe the hands should have white paint, like so:

Pink Magenta Label

Almost always with Soviet watches, the hands and the indices should correspond. I'd wait for another.

Welcome to the forum ?

#62 ·

All I can find to complain about is that hands appear to have been re-lumed, the lume does not match, hands to dial, the dot at 12 is sloppy, and a dial in that pristine condition should probably be in a better case but maybe its perfect gold case was "harvested" by the gold hunters. Everything else looks good and authentic to me. Let's see what the others say.

#67 ·
Hello I recently purchased a nice 1967 vostok 2209 "50th anniversary of the October Revolution" watch. The case, crystal, dial, and hands appear to be original. I'm pretty sure that the crown has been replaced though. My question is if the movement is original. The movement has the circled B vostok logo at the top which I've only seen on amphibias which makes me suspect that the movement might have come from one. Is this correct? Sorry for the bad lighting. Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Material property

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.