Question about Boctok Amphibia Crown wobble...
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Niccolo
  • 1 Post By houndoggie

Thread: Question about Boctok Amphibia Crown wobble...

Question about Boctok Amphibia Crown wobble...

Just got a new Amphibia (see the custom scuba dude thread for pics) and was wondering if it is par for the course for the crown to feel loose and wobbly when setting the time. It screws in and out fine and, so far, it has been keeping excellent time. Thanks.

Re: Question about Boctok Amphibia Crown wobble...

Perfectly normal, it's a design feature, and part of the Amphibia's character. Vostok found that when people wind watches they put some lateral pressure on the crown and stem, and this can lead to more wear and tear, and problems with the keyless works (part of the movement where the stem attaches to). So they made the crown intentionally wobbly so it wouldn't transmit the lateral pressure to the watch's keyless works. Hope I explained it properly!
    MrSempai likes this.
    Cataratas do Iguaçu, Brazil => http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9KyiwSscdo

Quote Originally Posted by Niccolo View Post
    Perfectly normal, it's a design feature, and part of the Amphibia's character. Vostok found that when people wind watches they put some lateral pressure on the crown and stem, and this can lead to more wear and tear, and problems with the keyless works (part of the movement where the stem attaches to). So they made the crown intentionally wobbly so it wouldn't transmit the lateral pressure to the watch's keyless works. Hope I explained it properly!

Makes sense, thanks!!
    MrSempai likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

About 16 years ago, when I bought my first Vostok watch, I wondered about the wobbly crown myself. I hate to say that my first impression was that I'd bought a piece of junk. But I wound up the watch and started wearing it, and quickly discovered that the watch--a WW2 50th anniversary commemorative Komandirskie--was a well-made and reliable timepiece. It wasn't until I bought my second Vostok, a few years later, that I discovered that the wobbly crown was normal.

The design is just Russian practicality at its best. Vostok discovered a problem with people hand-winding their movement, because of the lateral pressure, so they came up with the wobbly crown as a simple solution. A Swiss watch snob would deride it, but a Swiss watch snob never had to supply Soviet Army troops who didn't have time to daintily wind their watches.

Seiko
    5 Military Automatic SNK803K2 * Wenger Standard Issue XL * Raketa "Polar Bear" cal. 2609.NA
    Vostok Amphibia automatic, 31j * Vostok Amphibia сделано в СССР, manual-wind
    Vostok
    Komandirskie ЗАКАЗ МО СССР, manual-wind * Vostok Komandirskie Submarine Commander, manual-wind

Vostok
    Komandirskie 1945-1995 commemorative, manual-wind *
    Vostok 5/6 1963-2013 commemorative Amphibia
    Moscow Classic Navigator, 3602/03111102, Molnija 3602

The crown wobble is normal .That is how it was designed.I believe it has something to do with not breaking the stem.

I've got a Vostok also. Well, two really.

While apart for re-luming I noticed that the wobble crown disengages from the stem when pushed in and engages in one of five positions when pulled out.

I suspect that this feature is intended to allow the user to completely screw the crown down even if the watch is fully wound.

If the crown was fixed to the stem, you wouldn't be able to screw the crown down for a watertight seal until after it ran down a little.

You probably shouldn't wind a watch up really hard but Vostok has come up with an elegant solution for those of us that do.

Have Fun,
    Keri

Quote Originally Posted by KeriJane View Post
    I've got a Vostok also. Well, two really.

While apart for re-luming I noticed that the wobble crown disengages from the stem when pushed in and engages in one of five positions when pulled out.

I suspect that this feature is intended to allow the user to completely screw the crown down even if the watch is fully wound.

If the crown was fixed to the stem, you wouldn't be able to screw the crown down for a watertight seal until after it ran down a little.

You probably shouldn't wind a watch up really hard but Vostok has come up with an elegant solution for those of us that do.

Have Fun,
    Keri
    That's right, it's another design feature to make the watch more reliable!
    Cataratas do Iguaçu, Brazil => http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9KyiwSscdo

Thread Information