Question for people who buy old Russian/Soviet watches online.
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Question for people who buy old Russian/Soviet watches online.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question for people who buy old Russian/Soviet watches online.

Just wondering, if when you buy an old Russian/Soviet watch of ebay that seems to be in perfect working condition(Keeps time very well) do you get it serviced right away considering that it probably or may not have been serviced/oiled in a very long time? Or do you wait until you notice that it is not keeping time as well or the power reserve is lower etc.? Or do you wait until it breaks?

I mean even if the rare seller out their says that it has been serviced/cleaned/oiled, you don't know for sure without documentation to prove it.

A watch that seems fully functional could be damaging its mechanism if the oil should have been replaced a long time ago? am I correct?

Re: Question for people who buy old Russian/Soviet watches online.

Should you have every newly-acquired vintage watch serviced right away? Yes. Do I follow my own advice? No.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mike View Post
    Should you have every newly-acquired vintage watch serviced right away? Yes. Do I follow my own advice? No.

Very funny indeed! I sit hear reading this with my 3aka3 on my wrist that I did NOT have serviced!

But sound advice, nonetheless.
    Δός μοι πᾶ στῶ καὶ τὰν γᾶν κινάσω.
    Give me where to stand and I will move the earth

Archimedes quoted by Pappus of Alexandria

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

If one will be worn regularly, have it serviced. If it is to be in your collection and rarely worn, put it in the cue for future service. That's what I do. Can't afford to have all of them serviced as soon as I acquire them.

I don't pay any attention to what the seller says about the watch having been serviced.

If the watch sets and winds smoothly, keeps time and runs for more than a day on a single wind - I leave it alone. Otherwise, I have it serviced.

It's generally pretty obvious if the watch needs servicing.
    Last edited by watch22; September 4th, 2012 at 05:21.

I'm with Oliverb and watch22 but if one is going to be worn regularly and is running well I leave it alone and fix as needed. I don't expect vintage watches to run like new so I am rarely disappointed. Also my collection is large enough that if one of my regulars is acting up I can call up a substitute until I can fix the regular.

It really is a matter of luck when you buy old Russian watches off ebay. One watch I bought was described by the seller as running ,which it was. the only problem was it was gaining 5 minutes an hour and badly in need of a service. Another one I bought was running and keeping good time but I had it serviced anyway. I think you really need to allow for a service when purchasing these watches.

Banned

when you buy a watch online, you must be prepared to do maintenance., I think if you ask the seller for an additional fee he agreed to do maintenance. in the former Soviet Union there are few watchmakers and service costs 10-60 dollars.

Don't forget, a poorly running movement can be regulated to keep good time. I did a service this weekend on 2 Slava 24xx's. Each were mint condition from the early 1990's. They looked brand new and kept excellent time. However the timegrapher showed 250 degrees amplitude. No bad but the 24xx can do better. After a good cleaning and lube the amplitude jumped to 317 degrees for one and 323 for the other. There is nothing like seeing a balance swinging at 300+ degrees. To me it looks cooler then the dial.
    "Dyslexics of the world, UNTIE"
    "I tried to think but nothing happens"

Like so many have already said. I echo them. If the watch is running fine, I leave it alone. One Poljot I sent back to Latvia for a free service, after it stopped working within 2 weeks. No problems since. This applies to all the watches I buy whether Soviet or not. Good luck. P&P

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information