Raketa 24hr Polar
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Raketa 24hr Polar

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cool Raketa 24hr Polar

I quite like the design of these watches and have done some research, but if there are experts out there, I'd appreciate some knowledge.

After what I have looked at it seems that trying to buy an authentic is not that likely, realistically it will be a mix of parts, some original, some not so much.

However it seems that there are 2 types that are easy to get your hands on, one with a 2609 movement 17 jewel, which I believe is a 12 hour reformatted to a 24 hour with the only other type of movement I can find is 2614, 19 jewel. I know 2623 is the most original for a 24 hour watch, but I can't find that and the polar version.

I am currently looking at purchasing Russian mechanical watch 24 Hours movement Raketa "Polar"
    (has CCCP on the dial and is 2614 movement)

Any further advice? I believe the 2614 is "more" authentic.

Cheers !

Re: Raketa 24hr Polar

I applaud your research, but it's probably best to let go of a desire for "authenticity" as much as possible. As you wrote, those Raketas are old enough now that you're very likely to get a frankenwatch, but that doesn't make them any less cool. What's most important is that the movement, whichever one you get, actually works and keeps time well enough. Older movements are sometime unreliable, with things like worn down ratchet wheels not registering winding and such, so a properly working movement is the first thing to watch out for. But they're great additions to a collection. I have one myself, which I modded with a new crystal, making it even less original:

Name:  raketapolar.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  794.3 KB
    art1118 likes this.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Moved to the more suitable forum.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

O nooooo, do not give up on authenticity! You totally can get real and authentic watch. Do mot patronize frankenmakers! 🙂

Having said this, for the Polyarnie, it is a tall order to find a real deal and it will be expensive. You totally can get this souvenir version. Now, on the movement, I think some people can transform 12h into 24h but I would suspect it is not worth the trouble. Are you sure you will get 24h watch (and not just a dial that has 24 marks)?

We sometimes forget that watch buyers who are not collectors, per se, also are attracted to Russian watches and are not concerned with authenticity. But, it's still possible to find good authentic examples of vintage Russian watches on ebay if you're patient and use the forum to help authenticate your potential purchases. Authentic watches are more valuable when or if they are resold.

Here's how a 12hr 2609 movement is converted into 24 hr.: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f10/an...ts-894141.html
    Bazdman likes this.

True. Going to the original question: 2609 and 2614 both Not authentic (equally). 2609 would be w/o a calendar and 2614 would be with. That is the difference. Assuming they both were converted to 24h then the choice is whatever one watch Polar with the calendar or w/o 🙂
    Bazdman likes this.

something like this?

Name:  2019-07-09 19.18.55.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  2.79 MB

That is actually quite nice, did you just get it from e-bay?

[QUOTE=Dimy;49344011]something like this?

Yeah they are lovely, did you manage to find them online?

[QUOTE=Bazdman;49349787]
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimy View Post
    something like this?

Yeah they are lovely, did you manage to find them online?
    Yes all of them were purchased online over the past 4-5 years.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information