RAKETA "ATOM" - Page 3
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: RAKETA "ATOM"

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Picture Re: RAKETA "ATOM"

Quote Originally Posted by timanthes View Post

It's an amazing watch congrats!!! the green dial is very interesting and it looks very eye catching! Waiting for your new Gallery photos!
    Thanks a lot timanthes !

The Image Gallery is available here : RAKETA "ATOM"
    My YouTube channel | My ImageShack gallery

MY COLLECTION :
    Swiss : FAVRE LEUBA | FORTIS | GIRARD-PERREGAUX | JAQUET+GIRARD | LONGINES | OMEGA | TISSOT | TITUS | ZENITH
    Japanese : CASIO | CITIZEN | ORIENT | SEIKO
    Russian : POLJOT | RAKETA | SLAVA | STURMANSKIE | VOSTOK | VOSTOK EUROPE | ZVEZDA
    French : AVYSTYLE | HERMA | LIP | YEMA | YONGER & BRESSON
    German : AEROMATIC | GLASHÜTTE | TAUCHMEISTER
    Chinese : ALPHA | ARMIDA | BEIJING | FINËAT | JARAGAR | KASSAW | OHSEN | PARNIS | SANGDO | SEKARO | SMAEL | STEWAL | WINNER

sci

Re: RAKETA "ATOM"

Congratulations for the watch. Wear it in health and happiness. And be proud, that you are one of the few members around owning modern Raketa watch :)
    The price was discussed several times and there are two quite concrete aspects here:
    - You can get an Orient with in-house caliber and unquestionable quality for much lower price;
    - You can get NOMOS with basic Alpha 3-hand caliber for much higher price;
    Orient is much better purchase in terms of value/money ratio, thanks to their higher volumes and effective model management.
    NOMOS were creating their image almost 20 years before they reached the level of confidence of the customers, continuously increasing their prices overtime. They also were very active to promote their watches during many reviews in the thematic magazines, on-line resources, contest participation (they are winning watch of the year since years in Germany for example), etc. I think Raketa still don't address their marketing strategy so effective and can learn a lot from new brands like Nomos, Damasko, Mühle (not so new, but on the wristwatches scene), etc.

Quote Originally Posted by sci View Post
    Congratulations for the watch. Wear it in health and happiness. And be proud, that you are one of the few members around owning modern Raketa watch :)
    Thanks sci

The price was discussed several times and there are two quite concrete aspects here:
    - You can get an Orient with in-house caliber and unquestionable quality for much lower price;
    Orient is much better purchase in terms of value/money ratio, thanks to their higher volumes and effective model management.
    NOMOS were creating their image almost 20 years before they reached the level of confidence of the customers, continuously increasing their prices overtime. They also were very active to promote their watches during many reviews in the thematic magazines, on-line resources, contest participation (they are winning watch of the year since years in Germany for example), etc. I think Raketa still don't address their marketing strategy so effective and can learn a lot from new brands like Nomos, Damasko, Mühle (not so new, but on the wristwatches scene), etc.
    Agreed on this diagnostic. I think it's gonna be hard for Raketa to sell these watches… unless they address new customers, who don't care about the price, unlike "old" russian watches collectors.

MY COLLECTION :
    Swiss : FAVRE LEUBA | FORTIS | GIRARD-PERREGAUX | JAQUET+GIRARD | LONGINES | OMEGA | TISSOT | TITUS | ZENITH
    Russian : POLJOT | RAKETA | SLAVA | STURMANSKIE | VOSTOK | VOSTOK EUROPE | ZVEZDA
    Chinese : ALPHA | ARMIDA | BEIJING | FINËAT | JARAGAR | KASSAW | OHSEN | PARNIS | SANGDO | SEKARO | SMAEL | STEWAL | WINNER

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

your mom has great taste.
    congrats 'tis an elegantly cool watch. enjoy.
    Reno and hantms like this.

Sofia, Bulgaria (current) | Toronto, Canada

You are spot on.

First of all, to the original poster, that watch is really sharp. The dial colour is outstanding. In fact, Raketa's line up is generally very nice.

I spoke to one of the directors of Raketa last year, and he was under the impression that there will soon be no middle ground when it comes to mechanical watches; in that there will be only cheap throwaway ones, and expensive luxury pieces. I strongly disagree. However, I do think that is reflected in their current strategy, so I imagine their prices will just keep rising. They did make dramatic improvements to their quality, acquired good Swiss tooling, and got together an impressive management team. They basically reinvented themselves.

However, their failure to present the new image to the broader public, in the way, say, Nomos did (as you said), makes a comparison to Orient (Orient Star) more likely. I'd say the lack of high-end movement finishing also brings it down a notch as well. Orient offers such good value, it's just impossible for Raketa to compete on a hastily updated brand image that too few people are aware of.

However, I think Raketa's biggest mistake was not to use their wealth of experience and in-house capabilities to add further updates to their movements. It seems they burned through a large sum of money to update everything else, but not this.

There is no doubt that the 2609 a well-built, reliable, time-tested movement. But it sort of ties in their watches with the budget Raketas of the past. To buy a current Raketa, you're paying a small fortune to buy a watch with a movement that doesn't differ much from the cheapies of yesteryear. Imagine if they offered a couple unique, high end features to their movement. Even if they borrowed from other Soviet-era movements.. Or something more typical. Free-sprung balance? Breguet overcoil? Interesting winding system? An extra mainspring barrel? Just something to differentiate themselves from the old Raketas, and from other brands. Add to that some fancy finishing, and then you've got a watch that's worth their asking price... at least to our wus community. As people like us become evangelists for the brand, from there it spreads to become a mainstream name with a reputation. But as it is now, I'm not sure how many watches they'll sell. That's my $0.02 at least.

Quote Originally Posted by sci View Post
    OhDark30 and putra3007 like this.

Well they did just this year sell their first ever in-house automatic movement. I'd say that's a big accomplishment, even if it is based on prototypes from decades ago.

I do agree they are priced too high for our market, hence why you hardly see any on here. I may eventually try to get one. But I find their old designs more compelling anyways.

I think they are really trying to tap into the domestic high-income market in Russia. That's a hard sell though, as those people can also afford Swiss/Japanese quality watches and prefer them in many cases. I think Russians are re-awakening to Russian horological history, but even reading forum.watch.ru I really get the sense that the enthusiasts here have more respect for Russian-designed and -produced watches than the Russians themselves. And I am talking about watch enthusiasts here, not the general public.
    Last edited by drbobguy; July 26th, 2014 at 04:05.
    OhDark30 likes this.

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

THAT's the Reno photography that I've been waiting for!

A bracelet is always good with a vivid-coloured dial. That's a great-looking watch and I love the case back design, too.
    Reno and OhDark30 like this.
    Chascomm
    Moderator, Russian Watches & Chinese Mechanical Watches Forums
    (no, I am not going to list all my watches here)

Quote Originally Posted by Chascomm View Post
    THAT's the Reno photography that I've been waiting for!

A bracelet is always good with a vivid-coloured dial. That's a great-looking watch and I love the case back design, too.
    Thanks mate

MY COLLECTION :

Quote Originally Posted by flawless51 View Post
    You are spot on.

First of all, to the original poster, that watch is really sharp. The dial colour is outstanding. In fact, Raketa's line up is generally very nice.
    Thanks F51

I spoke to one of the directors of Raketa last year, and he was under the impression that there will soon be no middle ground when it comes to mechanical watches; in that there will be only cheap throwaway ones, and expensive luxury pieces. I strongly disagree. However, I do think that is reflected in their current strategy, so I imagine their prices will just keep rising. They did make dramatic improvements to their quality, acquired good Swiss tooling, and got together an impressive management team. They basically reinvented themselves.
    Agreed. That's the perennial problem with middle-range products.

Too expensive (much too expensive) to the general public, and not interesting enough for the amateur.

What I'm not aware of, is the real number of people that are amateurs, but can't afford buying high-end pieces, henceforth are OK to purchase those middle-range watches. Does this market exist ? Is it financially viable ? It seems to be hard to know precisely.

However, their failure to present the new image to the broader public, in the way, say, Nomos did (as you said), makes a comparison to Orient (Orient Star) more likely. I'd say the lack of high-end movement finishing also brings it down a notch as well. Orient offers such good value, it's just impossible for Raketa to compete on a hastily updated brand image that too few people are aware of.

However, I think Raketa's biggest mistake was not to use their wealth of experience and in-house capabilities to add further updates to their movements. It seems they burned through a large sum of money to update everything else, but not this.

There is no doubt that the 2609 a well-built, reliable, time-tested movement. But it sort of ties in their watches with the budget Raketas of the past. To buy a current Raketa, you're paying a small fortune to buy a watch with a movement that doesn't differ much from the cheapies of yesteryear. Imagine if they offered a couple unique, high end features to their movement. Even if they borrowed from other Soviet-era movements.. Or something more typical. Free-sprung balance? Breguet overcoil? Interesting winding system? An extra mainspring barrel? Just something to differentiate themselves from the old Raketas, and from other brands. Add to that some fancy finishing, and then you've got a watch that's worth their asking price... at least to our wus community. As people like us become evangelists for the brand, from there it spreads to become a mainstream name with a reputation. But as it is now, I'm not sure how many watches they'll sell. That's my $0.02 at least.
    We have a near-similar situation here in France with a brand called "Yonger & Bresson", which goes back to the 70s', used to produce cheap quartzes only, and now propose for several years mechanical watches.

Yonger et Bresson, montres automatiques, boutique officielle

They used chinese movements (ST-16, ST-21) in their first productions,

ST-16

ST-21

(that's an undecorated ST-21, finished by Yonger, behind a stainless steel caseback ! Not too bad hey ? )

Those watches were priced around 150~200€ (600€ for the "Diderot 16" which is a rather unique watch, with its amazing case)

but they have developed an "in-house" movement in 2011, which make them very interesting at this price point

The latest are priced in the same range than RAKETA (400~500€), but I think at this price point, I have "more watch" with a Yonger than a Raketa

To name a few : nice straps/bracelets, see-through caseback, decorated in-house movement, general better "feel"…

Quote Originally Posted by drbobguy View Post
    Well they did just this year sell their first ever in-house automatic movement. I'd say that's a big accomplishment, even if it is based on prototypes from decades ago.

I do agree they are priced too high for our market, hence why you hardly see any on here. I may eventually try to get one. But I find their old designs more compelling anyways.

I think they are really trying to tap into the domestic high-income market in Russia. That's a hard sell though, as those people can also afford Swiss/Japanese quality watches and prefer them in many cases. I think Russians are re-awakening to Russian horological history, but even reading forum.watch.ru I really get the sense that the enthusiasts here have more respect for Russian-designed and -produced watches than the Russians themselves. And I am talking about watch enthusiasts here, not the general public.
    What can make a difference, is the public willing to get a "homeland" watch.
    That's what I like when I buy a Yonger & Bresson (or YEMA, or lip).

Again, I have no idea if this public is large enough to be financially viable for a product line.
    Last edited by Reno; July 26th, 2014 at 11:04.

MY COLLECTION :

RAKETA "ATOM"

Have I said 'gorgeous,' Reno? Just stunning pictures of a beautiful watch - your mum has great taste
    Pricing wise it seems Raketa have done a Prim - another former Eastern bloc manufacturer who are producing new takes on their classics at premium prices
    http://www.prim.cz/index.php?lang=en
    DO NOT put sales verbiage in your signature.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information