Raketa PW - Fake, Franken or unusual?
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Raketa PW - Fake, Franken or unusual?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Raketa PW - Fake, Franken or unusual?

Interested in this ebay item
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Raketa-Zu...Z/233437288330

Though none too sure if it's what it says it is - I can't find another Raketa with a hunter case (looks similar to a Molinja case) & I cant seem to find any Raketa catalogue images with pocket watches to compare

I am skeptical this is original. Why would Raketa make this? Raketa is in Russia (1996). Minsk is in Belorussia and there is Luch factory. The case is not Raketa. Possibly from some quartz watch.
    SuffolkGerryW likes this.

Re: Raketa PW - Fake, Franken or unusual?

Quote Originally Posted by Odessa200 View Post
    I am skeptical this is original. Why would Raketa make this? Raketa is in Russia (1996). Minsk is in Belorussia and there is Luch factory. The case is not Raketa. Possibly from some quartz watch.
    Thanks for your input - I must admit that I hadn't thought about locations, (though some companies could go 'international' if looking for a commemorative piece?) - it was the case that made me suspicious as I cannot find another variant in my searching - must admit that it fits nicely though!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

It is interesting that the case exactly fits the Raketa movement with no spacer. It would not fit a Molnija movement, or even a Chinese Tongji wristwatch movement. However it would probably fit a quartz movement (e.g. 2356) with a spacer. It is quite unlike the kind of low cost pocket watch cases commonly made in Hong Kong or China. I vaguely remember a discussion on this forum some time ago concerning a pocket watch with this kind of case, but I don't remember if it was decorated with a picture of a zubr. This hunter case design shares nothing with the more common Raketa open-face pocket-watch. I can't help wondering if this watch was actually made by Vitsebsk Instruments whose Vympel brand was known to have used Raketa movements sometimes.
    SuffolkGerryW likes this.
    Chascomm
    Moderator, Russian Watches & Chinese Mechanical Watches Forums
    (no, I am not going to list all my watches here)

Quote Originally Posted by Chascomm View Post
    It is interesting that the case exactly fits the Raketa movement with no spacer. It would not fit a Molnija movement, or even a Chinese Tongji wristwatch movement. However it would probably fit a quartz movement (e.g. 2356) with a spacer. It is quite unlike the kind of low cost pocket watch cases commonly made in Hong Kong or China. I vaguely remember a discussion on this forum some time ago concerning a pocket watch with this kind of case, but I don't remember if it was decorated with a picture of a zubr. This hunter case design shares nothing with the more common Raketa open-face pocket-watch. I can't help wondering if this watch was actually made by Vitsebsk Instruments whose Vympel brand was known to have used Raketa movements sometimes.
    Ah, found a 'Vympel' pocket watch on Etsy with a case back & crown that look identical - thanks!
    So it looks to be 'unusual' - I think I'll put an offer in

It's on its way, a little more than I offered, but a LOT cheaper than the one on Etsy
    Chascomm likes this.

Wow. I did not expect this to be a real deal. Interesting....

Quote Originally Posted by Odessa200 View Post
    Wow. I did not expect this to be a real deal. Interesting....
    Must admit that I was sceptical, until I had the 'lead' on the 'Vympel' brand, then after a search, finding the other example with the same crown & back - sealed it for me (especially as the other one was over £90!!!)
    Daren't tell the wife just yet though!
    Kamburov likes this.

Must admit that trying to find out more regarding 'Vympel' watches is like finding the proverbial needle in a haystack, while there are several mentions across the web & images of the various wrist watches that bear their name, not much about their pocket watches seem to exist, the occasional query similar to mine, wondering if the watch is a Franken or fake, one image with a Chinese movement in a similar style case (even the image on Etsy has now gone).
    Very little information indeed!

fla

Quote Originally Posted by SuffolkGerryW View Post
    Must admit that trying to find out more regarding 'Vympel' watches is like finding the proverbial needle in a haystack, while there are several mentions across the web & images of the various wrist watches that bear their name, not much about their pocket watches seem to exist, the occasional query similar to mine, wondering if the watch is a Franken or fake, one image with a Chinese movement in a similar style case (even the image on Etsy has now gone).
    Very little information indeed!
    This is because you tried to search in English. Here is the result of my search in Russian https://www.google.ru/search?q=часы+...0&client=opera

Search at Yandex gives even more results but the link does not work here correctly, i don't know why. Try to find at Yandex.ru the following "часы вымпел 17 камней карманные беларусь"
    Last edited by fla; 2 Days Ago at 13:30.
    Chascomm and SuffolkGerryW like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information