Rare Severni Poljus Automatic from 1st Moscow Watch Factory
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Rare Severni Poljus Automatic from 1st Moscow Watch Factory

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Rare Severni Poljus Automatic from 1st Moscow Watch Factory

A while back in a thread on the 10 rarest Russian watches, the Severni Poljus automatic from the First Moscow Watch Factory was nominated. One has now joined my collection.

It is the first I have personally seen. It came to me as part of Dieter Brunow's collection (aka Raketa).

The Cyrillic dial signature translates as 'pole', referring to the North Pole. It contains a 22-jewel 2415 Rodina-type automatic movement, with a relatively uncommon ruby jewel rotor bearing. It was made sometime between 1957 and the earliest 1960s.

I don't know too much more about this watch, except that the dial has a very unusual compass logo and it is very rare. If anyone out there has additional information, I would be eager to hear it.

Visit my website -- WWW.USSRTIME.COM -- for additional photos and information. Use the custom search feature to search for the term 'poljus'.

-- Mark
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Mark Gordon; October 21st, 2008 at 20:54.
    View my collection at:
    http://www.ussrtime.com
    a fully searchable photo-info database containing more than 1500 Soviet-era clocks & watches

Re: Rare Severni Poljus Automatic from 1st Moscow Watch Factory

Frankly speaking I think it is a mule - a Rodina watch with different dial. Severniy Polus is extremely rare indeed, but in the catalogue from 60's (https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=153611) you will find only one automatic watch and this was Rodina. Severniy Polus is mentioned but with different dial (Antarktida-like) on page 148 and 149

Quote Originally Posted by rproch View Post
    Frankly speaking I think it is a mule - a Rodina watch with different dial. Severniy Polus is extremely rare indeed, but in the catalogue from 60's (https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=153611) you will find only one automatic watch and this was Rodina. Severniy Polus is mentioned but with different dial (Antarktida-like) on page 148 and 149
    So, what watch is this dial from?
    -- Mark
    View my collection at:
    a fully searchable photo-info database containing more than 1500 Soviet-era clocks & watches

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gordon View Post
    So, what watch is this dial from?
    -- Mark
    This I don't know
    I just realized that those must be two different watches. The watch in catalogue is branded "Severniy Polus" and your is branded just "Polus".

Dieter send me a picture of this watch so I put it into this table: http://www.ussrwatches.info/brands/
    But this is the only watch of this brand that I saw. So it makes me suspicious about it. Is the dial original? Or is it Kirovskie dial with changed logo?

Quote Originally Posted by rproch View Post
    Is the dial original? Or is it Kirovskie dial with changed logo?
    I have examined the dial under a 10X and 20X stereo microscope and it looks original to me. The ink and typographical style is consistent with the 2 'standard' inscriptions lower down on the dial... which themselves are consistent with other FMWF dial inscriptions from that period.

I am sure Dieter bought this in a flea market in the 'East' at a very low cost, so it wasn't a deliberate Franken for profit. It's also in very poor condition. A Frankenmeister wouldn't go to all that trouble to make something this ratty.

There is also a precedent for specialty 'the FMWF re-branding' Rodina watches. My number 0589 is a Rodina-type automatic with a Stolichnie dial signature. This is 100% legit.

Having said all this, I know nothing about this dial signature. I never saw it before.

-- Mark
    View my collection at:

After asking the Forum, in the end I found this old thread that has made some light in my mind
    I've bought this watch a little time ago. I was knowing the crown isn't the right one, but was thinking that all the other features were good... I was wrong

This is the dial:

And this is the movement, a 2408 with 17 jewels and antishok:

There is no date, but the movement has the 1MCh3 logo, so it should have been made in the sixties, I think.

What could we say? The movement has been changed, I think; it's newer than the rest of the watch (it could explain also the uncorrect crown). But the dial is the same of the previous seen in this thread, so we can be quite sure the watch was really existing.
    What makes me wondering is the bottom writing "antimagnetic": are there any automatic antimagnetic watches?

Полюс, действительно редкие советские watches.Unfortunately, Foto уважаемый Марк Гордон, тела и механизм не из Полюс, а с Rodina.Polus идентичный "Столичные", том же здании, zav.golovka, механизм (17stones). Но отличия. Полюс Заметно тяжелый (по weignt), как дополнительный (второй), механизм закрытия крышки, так как некоторые старые карманные часы ...

Quote Originally Posted by pasha-watches View Post
    Полюс, действительно редкие советские watches.Unfortunately, Foto уважаемый Марк Гордон, тела и механизм не из Полюс, а с Rodina.Polus идентичный "Столичные", том же здании, zav.golovka, механизм (17stones). Но отличия. Полюс Заметно тяжелый (по weignt), как дополнительный (второй), механизм закрытия крышки, так как некоторые старые карманные часы ...
    Could you possibly translate in english? The automatic translator makes a mess
    herdingwetcats likes this.

Polus,really rare Soviet watches.Unfortunately,the photo distinguished Mark Gordon,body and mechanism is not from Polus,and from the Rodina.Polus identical "Столичные",same building,zav.golovka,mechanism(17 stones).But the otlichiya.Polus noticeably heavier (by weignt),as has an additional(second),the lid closing mechanism,as some old pocket watches...

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

The main plate is signed 2408 ( meaning 24mm, centre seconds, no shockproofing) but there is shockproofing, and I don't remember ever seeing a 17 jewel (with cap jewel on the escape wheel) version of the 2408. I think the movement has a mix of parts from different movements, however it may simply be that Poljot had too many main plates already stamped 2408 and used them to build 2409 movements.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information