Replacing a second hand?
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By yekaterinburg
  • 1 Post By EndeavourDK
  • 1 Post By yekaterinburg

Thread: Replacing a second hand?

Replacing a second hand?

Hi all, I'm in need of your advice!

I'm very excited to have just received the Raketa Soyuz photographed! A big criteria for me in choosing this one was it's authenticity. It has the NP movement, and one of the most frequently seen dials....however I believe the second hand may be too long to be the original. It's my understanding that it should not extend beyond the coloured central section. As a result I would like to replace it with a more accurate one

My questions are;

- How do you measure the second hand?
    - Is there anywhere you can buy good spares?
    - Would this be something I could do at home (if so how?) or would I need to have a professional undertake the swap for me?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
    elsoldemayo likes this.

Re: Replacing a second hand?

The seconds hand needs to extend to the seconds dial markers. This one does.

I think you have a point. In these models the sekonds hand is just shy of the outer dial. If it's longer it will get cought by it when taking the movement out of the case.
    I don't know about spares, but replacing should be fairly easy. I would use only a pair of tweezers for putting another one. And a small screwdriver to get the old one off. Before that a cutter knife to open the caseback and a needle to take the stem (and movement) out. Be careful not to bend the sekonds hand on the outer dial when taking the movement out.
    Ivan

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Why don't you use a nail cutter to cut the hand 2 mm. (or maybe 1mm?) shorter?

Quote Originally Posted by yekaterinburg View Post
    Hi all, I'm in need of your advice!

I'm very excited to have just received the Raketa Soyuz photographed! A big criteria for me in choosing this one was it's authenticity. It has the NP movement, and one of the most frequently seen dials....however I believe the second hand may be too long to be the original. It's my understanding that it should not extend beyond the coloured central section. As a result I would like to replace it with a more accurate one

My questions are;

- How do you measure the second hand?
    - Is there anywhere you can buy good spares?
    - Would this be something I could do at home (if so how?) or would I need to have a professional undertake the swap for me?

Thanks in advance for your help!!
    From the answers given above it seems that the secondhand is possibly correct. If it turns out that this is not the case and you find a replacement, reading your information above I don't get the impression that you have much experience and therefor I would recommend you to go to somebody who has.
    The dial seems in a great condition and it is very easy to scratch / ruin it.
    Cutting a piece off ...... I wouldn't recommend that because the end needs IMO to be finished off again...... a very delicate & risky job when loose, never mind if the hand is still attached.
    The proper tools for pulling and setting hands come cheap, but you still need to know what you are doing and if the movement has, like with the Vostoks 24xx, a spring on the back side, you need to get the movement out and support that spring.
    Many dials get ruined or scratched by pulling / setting hands.

That would be a shame ........ it's a nice watch
    Last edited by EndeavourDK; 2 Weeks Ago at 21:34. Reason: Spelling
    NOTSHARP likes this.

Hey everybody thanks for all your replies and advice, I am a pretty rash person and could very easily have had a go at shortening the second hand myself but as you say Endeavour, it would be a real shame to damage the watch in the process, and I have absolutely no watch knowledge of something was to go wrong.

For now I think I'll keep an eye out for an appropriate second hand, and take the watch to a watch smith's if I do find one to do the replacement for me.

Thanks again guys :)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
    EndeavourDK likes this.

if you look to get it right, cutting the hand will not do. The tail of the hand is different as well. Check the image below. I think you need a hand like that. As far as replacing the hand: delicate work but not super hard. You do need basic tools to take the watch out of the body. Plastic cover can be used to cover the dial so you do not damage it. Some magnification to see what you are doing. Note that smilingly same hands have different footers/hole and may not fit. All depends on how handy you are...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Odessa200 View Post
    if you look to get it right, cutting the hand will not do. The tail of the hand is different as well. Check the image below. I think you need a hand like that. As far as replacing the hand: delicate work but not super hard. You do need basic tools to take the watch out of the body. Plastic cover can be used to cover the dial so you do not damage it. Some magnification to see what you are doing. Note that smilingly same hands have different footers/hole and may not fit. All depends on how handy you are...
    Since this happened to me the other day I will add that if you want to remove the second hand only make sure your puller is bearing on the second hand tube as far into the center as possible. Second hands are two parts and it is possible to remove the hand part leaving the tube still attached to the central gear. When this happens you can fix it if you have a steady enough hand and some magnification by inserting the tube back into the hole in the second hand and adding perhaps a tiny drop of thin CA. I used to try to remove all hands in one step but I'm now carefully removing the second hand first and then the other two.

Also if your crystal has a decent shoulder and is not glued in place and you're comfortable with a crystal lift it may be easier to work on the hands by removing the crystal instead of removing the case back, crown and entire case, exposing the movement to handling damage, dust, etc.

Thread Information