Review of Technochas Elektronika 55
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Review of Technochas Elektronika 55

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Since I learned about Elektronikas and Technochas in another thread, I wanted one too. I especially liked the titanium nitride one with yellow on the dial, as it had even more "retro vibe" than the chromium with white dial.

Review of the shopping experience

I ordered it by sending PM to Surok55 (who is running the technochas.ru site). While the communcation is slow, I have confidence in Surok55. This is why:

I discussed both options with Surok55, but finally settled on titanium nitride, as I really consider it to be more beautiful. I assume Surok55 got quite a bit of orders to deal with, as he made a mistake and sent me the chromium version instead. It is fully understandable that mistakes might happened, and we really had been talking about both watches. I guess he might has been in hurry and just looked at the top of the PM thread the day he sent the watch.

Everybody does mistakes at some point, but it is how you handle a mistake that matters. As I influence people (both in real life, and online) to buy watches, I wanted to know how Surok55 handles this. I told him I received the wrong watch and asked what solution he suggests. He apologized and told me he will send the titanium nitride watch. I asked what to do with the chrome plated watch. He told me it is probably too expensive to ship it back, so I could keep it.

Because Surok55 handled the situation in a generous way (I received two watches for the price of one), I have full confidence in recommending him to other.

The picture quality is not the best as I took these photos with my mobile phone.

Name:  elektronika1.jpg
Views: 675
Size:  1,022.0 KB
    Name:  elektronika1b.jpg
Views: 657
Size:  951.8 KB

First, if you want perfectly made watches, these ones are not for you. It is easy to find tool marks, and they really look like they are put together from old parts. If you want a real retro watch from authentic old stock parts this is for you.

These two watches are differing in many ways, not just by color. They got different spring bars, different case back, probably picked randomly from a storage of old stock parts.

At the upper left corner of the titanium nitride watch, I noticed something that looked like dust under the crystal. I decided to open up the watch and remove it. It was not dust, but dirt and scratches. I took some Polywatch to clean up the LCD and the metal surrounding it. The paper became black (as seen on the second photo). At this point I realized how old the modules really are.
    Name:  elektronika2.jpg
Views: 661
Size:  820.1 KB

Name:  elektronika3.jpg
Views: 639
Size:  999.9 KB

This all might sound negative, but I think it is more a consequence of using old stock parts. Sure, it would have been nice if they had cleaned the module before installing it, but it is not a deal breaker for me.

Okay, enough about the cosmetic details. Now to the watch functions.

The chromium plated watch I received first was losing about 3.2-3.3s each day. After a quick regulation (possible inside of the range of -6.3 to +6.3 seconds a day, can be done with the buttons) it is pretty much spot on. I have not seen this regulation feature in any other digital watch. I have yet to see how accurate the titanium nitride model is.

The alarm is loud comparing to other alarm watches and you can pick between beep-beep and several melodies.

This watch is also having a chronometer. It is measuring with 0.1s precision. However, in practice the accuracy will not be this good as the buttons are a bit difficult to press.

The timer is maybe the feature I use most. Sadly you have to set it after each usage as it will not remember from last usage. This makes this watch good for kitchen, but not so good for interval exercise.

The size might surprise some. The watch is small. It took some time to get used to have something this small on the wrist. After some days of usage, it felt for me like a natural size. My wrist is 17cm.
    Name:  elektronika5.jpg
Views: 643
Size:  1,005.9 KB

Here is the watch together with a Komandirskie, so the size can be better recognized.

Name:  elektronika4.jpg
Views: 643
Size:  1,003.6 KB

While some parts of the review might sound negative I am far from negative. I just want to give a fair review and I think these details should be mentioned as we have so different expectations. These watches are fun, and I consider them well worth to have. They have plenty of character and uniqueness.
    Neruda, joecool, cuthbert and 8 others like this.

Italy - Between Florence and Champs sur le Bisance

Re: Review of Technochas Elektronika 55

Really a good work comrade engblom, not negative but realistic
    ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆ http://russian-watches.it/ ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭ 140 Watches exposed online now ☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭

The watch doesn't appear to be smaller than a CAsio F84W, that is another digital from the 80s.
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Thanks for the comprehensive review. Valuable information for the many curious members here (myself included).
    Chascomm
    Moderator, Russian Watches & Chinese Mechanical Watches Forums
    (no, I am not going to list all my watches here)

As an update: My titanium nitride plated Elektronika seems to be more accurate. Out of box it was losing about 0.6s a day. Since I regulated it, it has not lost even one second.
    Chascomm and Victorv like this.

F91
    Banned

Is the case made of steel, or plastic + paint?

I don't get the difference between the titanium nitride and the chromium plated, can you explain?
    Last edited by F91; December 21st, 2017 at 15:00.

Titanium nitride is the same gold stuff they put on the end of some drill bits.

Quote Originally Posted by F91 View Post
    Is the case made of steel, or plastic + paint?
    The case is made out of brass, which is then plated. Chrome will give a silver color and titanium nitride will give a gold color. Titanium nitride is really hard, which is why the tip of drill bits are often plated in it.
    James Haury likes this.

When looking at the model names at Technochas, нт (нт with cursive) means titanium nitride and хр means chrome.
    Chascomm likes this.

HAQ and AW moderator

Quote Originally Posted by engblom View Post
    When looking at the model names at Technochas, нт (нт with cursive) means titanium nitride and хр means chrome.
    Sent you a PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information