Russian field watch?
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Russian field watch?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Russian field watch?

I was just thinking about what kind of what could be useful that I don't have, and obviously, something came out! Field watch!

I have a couple of Komandirskie bout I don't know if the plastic domed glass would stay clear afterworking in earth, sand and dirt...

I am for something similar as a Bertucci or a Hamilton Khaki, stainless steel could be ok, but I think a sapphire glass, would be preferred in my case...something minimal and tough as nail... No bezel that dirt can be stuck under

Any Idea?

Re: Russian field watch?

A modded Komandirskie works nicely...
    Instagram: @time_obsessed

The Raketa Petrodvorets Classic Avtomat has a sapphire crystal.
    Patski and Kamburov like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Dave, this Raketa is absolutely fabulous! Saphire crystal or not, I would never put it through "eart, sand and dirt". Actually I may feel physical pain if I see you do it :)
    I do work in the above described conditions, also would add "mudd and the stuff you find in the sewers". I did use a komandirskie for a year, at some point, but felt sorry for the poor watch. The thing is, if it's a cheaper vintage watch, it's not that reliable (leaking gaskets, second hand falling due to shock, crystal and case scratches etc.). If it's a more recent, new and reliable one, it's kinda hard to put it in the mudd. I was exactly in Patski's position, but couldn't figure it out. I wanted to use a mechanical russian watch but ended up buying a casio mdv 200m rated steel diver (quartz) for $40, as it was closest to the above requirements. I've been trying to kill it ever since and it's just laughing back at me.
    If there is a russian watch that checks all the boxes I'll buy one straight away, but so far I'm failing to find one.
    I'll be folowing this thread with great interest!
    Ivan

PS: I also used a cheaper disposable amphybia for a while, but had gasket problem (crystal sweating) so gave it up. I wouldn't risk any of my better amphybias, and I still need a 100% reliability.
    Dave_Hedgehog likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamburov View Post
    Dave, this Raketa is absolutely fabulous! Saphire crystal or not, I would never put it through "eart, sand and dirt". Actually I may feel physical pain if I see you do it :)
    I do work in the above described conditions, also would add "mudd and the stuff you find in the sewers". I did use a komandirskie for a year, at some point, but felt sorry for the poor watch. The thing is, if it's a cheaper vintage watch, it's not that reliable (leaking gaskets, second hand falling due to shock, crystal and case scratches etc.). If it's a more recent, new and reliable one, it's kinda hard to put it in the mudd. I was exactly in Patski's position, but couldn't figure it out. I wanted to use a mechanical russian watch but ended up buying a casio mdv 200m rated steel diver (quartz) for $40, as it was closest to the above requirements. I've been trying to kill it ever since and it's just laughing back at me.
    If there is a russian watch that checks all the boxes I'll buy one straight away, but so far I'm failing to find one.
    I'll be folowing this thread with great interest!
    Ivan

PS: I also used a cheaper disposable amphybia for a while, but had gasket problem (crystal sweating) so gave it up. I wouldn't risk any of my better amphybias, and I still need a 100% reliability.
    This was my work watch back in the day in order to spare my vintage soviets:

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 130
Size:  210.1 KB

This was posted on the Casio forum.
    Kamburov likes this.

schnurrp, obviously we had similar experience :) "Guardians of my vintage soviets" is a cool name for a thread.
    My basic requirements for a field watch (tool watch):
    1. Tough as a bomb shelter. I prefer steel with saphire, and simple design (easy to wash).
    2. Water protected, at least 100m.
    3. Reliable timekeeping. As much as I like mechanical, quartz would be my movement of choice, as it really is better shock resistant and accurate. It requires case opening once in a couple of years, and then you forget about it. Some modern solar powered hybrids don't even need opening. Ever. Also quartz allows additional functions, that may be required for the job.
    4. Easy to read in bad conditions. Again modern watches do a better job - design, lume, back light etc.
    5. Relatively cheap and available. Even with the $40 new watch it took me some time to let go and just stop caring if I hit it, scratch it, drop it or loose it.
    I may be missing something, but that's about it. There are some vintage watches that cover some of the above points (mainly military and divers) but all require a compromise with at least one or two of the rquirements.
    A simple 2209 amphibia (3mm crystal, and new gaskets) maybe my best choice for a soviet field watch. I can easily put one together from the spare parts box, but I have a feeling I'll still be taking that off my wrist when the situation gets tough.
    Ivan

I am reviving this thread rather than make a new one. My question is:

Can anyone recommend a Russian-made field watch that is under $200 that would be good for a beater watch?
    I am considering Komandirskie Classic models K-65, K-35 and K-02 but is there anything else?
    Seulement, il faut du temps pour être heureux. Beaucoup de temps. Le bonheur lui aussi est une longue patience. - Only, it takes time to be happy. A lot of time. Happiness, too, is a long patience.

I honestly think it's a 2 watch solution. There are two kinds of "field" work, and which kind you are doing informs what kind of watch you want:

1) the kind where you're out enjoying yourself - hiking, kayak, fishing, orienteering, exploring, etc. - I want high water resistance, legibility, ease of use and decent resistance to impact and shock.
    2) the kind where you're working - shovels, axes, mud, grit, firearms, etc - for me this means very high water resistance, legibility, and extreme resistance to impact, shock, dirt and grit infiltration.

For type 2 field work, I have a GShock. The kinds of impact, filth, and debris the watch will encounter almost requires a solid state mechanism IMO. Even the best anti-shock balance on a mechanical watch isn't going to like repeated impacts while using an axe or constant recoil from a day at the pistol range. Sapphire is scratch resistant, yes, but it's brittle. You're much more likely to shatter a sapphire crystal due to impact than mineral glass, or certainly acrylic (I've shattered the mineral on a bertucci field watch before - clearing a new trail, I had a branch come loose like a spear and pop me right in the wrist. impact shattered the crystal. I've seen hands fall off the (cheap quartz analog that rhymes with Himex) watch of a guy running a saw for a few hours from the vibration)

For type 1, I built my own out of an amphibia. Made a field friendly dial for it and popped on a stainless compass bezel. When properly maintained, it's almost bombproof as a field watch. As good a WR as you can expect, highly impact resistant crystal that if I do manage to scratch, I can buff out easily. No battery to die, Things like the wobbly crown impart some additional impact resistance to the mechanism. For water activities or running around in the summer I simply swap in a nato strap for some added security and quick drying.

Name:  d95a5f3ebc840278e69c41c22c2f116e.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  105.0 KB

One of those Raketa Automat's might be a nice watch for this kind of environment too, and I've used some Modded Seiko's out in the field as well.
    Jake_P and Wolfsatz like this.

Quote Originally Posted by A.Sev View Post
    I've seen hands fall off the (cheap quartz analog that rhymes with Himex) watch of a guy running a saw for a few hours from the vibration)
    Ha yeah. I've a had a couple of watches from "Himex" and as much as I love a lot of what they're putting out lately design wise, it does strike me that they are fairly cheaply assembled. I guess your mileage will vary right? Oh and the seconds never hit the markers but that's a pretty common erm..feature ;)

Quote Originally Posted by A.Sev View Post

One of those Raketa Automat's might be a nice watch for this kind of environment too, and I've used some Modded Seiko's out in the field as well.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Very Nicely Done ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    ... What time is it? ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information