Russian watches in New York City?

Thread: Russian watches in New York City?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Russian watches in New York City?

I'll be taking a trip to New York City in a few months and I'm wondering if anybody knows of a place where I can pick up a few watches.
    Motherlandwatch.webs.com- my current SOVIET/RUSSIAN collection... I've got some Non-Russians put away somewhere
    MWD- Self Proclaimed WIS of the Big Easy

Re: Russian watches in New York City?

I can't say for the city itself but I am aware of a place not far outside of NYC called Brighton Beach. It's also known as Little Russia. If you don't mind the side trip you might find something there. Granted, I am not familiar with the area so I'm merely suggesting on the assumption that a place called Little Russia might have some Russian watches in some of the shops. Do some research. The Wiki entry makes the neighborhood sound iffy. I was in NYC last summer and wanted to go to BB for a set of Russian nesting dolls as a gift but my NYC friend did not want me to attempt the trip, so I didn't go.

See here. http://www.villagevoice.com/2005-05-...righton-beach/

and here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brighton_Beach
    Last edited by lateasusual; December 7th, 2010 at 10:48.

Brighton Beach looks OK to me. You'll probably find lots of watchmakers that could fix your Russian watch but I doubt you'll find many Russian watches for sale. The least likely person to be interested in Russian watches is a Russian immigrant to the US - that's been my experience.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

You'll have to stop by a store called Torneau Time Machine on E. 57th St. while you're there. It's the world's largest watch store, with three stories of nothing but watches. I don't believe they carry the Russian brands (though it's worth asking -- I didn't have time last time I was there. They probably have some V-E's tucked in some corner). Either way, the place is a must-see for anyone who appreciates mechanical watches.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mike View Post
    You'll have to stop by a store called Torneau Time Machine on E. 57th St. while you're there. It's the world's largest watch store, with three stories of nothing but watches. I don't believe they carry the Russian brands (though it's worth asking -- I didn't have time last time I was there. They probably have some V-E's tucked in some corner). Either way, the place is a must-see for anyone who appreciates mechanical watches.
    I live on Long Island and I second that. It's quite an impressive store. I don't remember seeing any Russian watches but I may be wrong. Still it's a great place to spend some time in and look at some watches (Especially ones you'll never be able to afford )

I wonder if that might also hold true for Chinese people and their own Chinese watches. I'm visiting San Francisco this week and planned to go to Chinatown to see if I could find some actual Chinese watches that I have been viewing on WUS. We'll see.

I'll be paying Torneau Time Machine a visit for sure.
    Motherlandwatch.webs.com- my current SOVIET/RUSSIAN collection... I've got some Non-Russians put away somewhere
    MWD- Self Proclaimed WIS of the Big Easy

Lew

I was in NYC 3 years ago, and i didnt see Torneau Time Machine :(. I should visit my sister as soon as possible :)

Its unfortunate that there are so many narrowinded uninformed people here. First off let me say I'm not Russian and 2nd let me say I'm a native New Yorker. Brighton Beach is a WONDERFUL area and is very safe. There are a lot of great shops and restaurants and it is truly a slice of Russia: most signs are in Russian, mostly Russian spoken and the products in the shops are all Russian. I would definitely recommend a ride on the Q or B trains, about 45 minutes from mid-town Manhattan. Oh, and by the way Brighton Beach IS in New York City, its part of Brooklyn. What I can't tell you is if you might be able to find Russian watches there. I'm sure if you look around you might find some, since there are so many Russian products on sale.

Quote Originally Posted by RandyT View Post
    Its unfortunate that there are so many narrowinded uninformed people here.
    Uninformed, maybe -- but I'm working on that. Narrowminded? I think not. No one here was badmouthing Brighton Beach. This is a very open-minded forum, and if there's one thing we're not, it's anti-Russian!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information