SEKONDA 2414 21 JEWELS
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: SEKONDA 2414 21 JEWELS

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

SEKONDA 2414 21 JEWELS

Hi. Although normally I've always liked the Soviets watches with Cyrillic characters, some time ago I wanted to buy a Sekonda watch from the Soviet era.

I personally associate the word Sekonda to an elegant and classic watch. A simple to wear a watch that could design your grandfather, your father, then you.

I have understood that after the fall of the Soviet Union, the Sekonda mechanical watches, as it were known, also ceased to exist. And the brand was sold to China, as has been happening then with many other brands of western products. On my recent trip to Russia, I saw many of the current Sekonda watches in a watch shop in St. Petersburg, placed near the Russian watches, as if they were still being Russians, and although they were nice, as I said before I have understood that today are Chinese watches, whose quality I do not know, and besides, my impression is that it was quartz watches, not mechanical watches.

I knew that I did not want a 2209 23 jewels Sekonda. I already had some 2209 Luch watches. Although I do not doubt the beauty of the 23 jewels soviet watches, its quality, etc, I do not like the feeling of winding these watches. Even I would say that my favorites are the most simple, common and known Soviet watches, such as the 2609 Raketa, the 2209 or 2409 vostok, or 2609 Poljot, precisely because of the pleasant sensation I feel when I wind it.

Anyway, in the end I decided on a 2409 date watch, ie a 2414, which in principle is traveling right now to home. These are the few photos that now I have of this watch.

Name:  002.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  284.0 KB

Name:  003.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  460.7 KB

Name:  004.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  328.6 KB

The glass will have to be polished, but in general the watch seems to be well preserved. As you can see in the movement, it has a triple shockproof. I did not know this feature in a Soviet watch. I conclude that this design makes a better quality movement. It seems that the intention of the Soviet factory was to create a unique or special quality watch to be sold in the Wests countries, well, in Britain. I've never seen a move of this nature destined to be sold in the Soviet Union.

if possible, I wanted to ask the following questions:

1.- What rating in terms of quality compared to other Soviet models you would give to the Sekonda watches? What experience have you had with them?

2º.- I would say the movement (and watch) was produced in the first Moscow Watch Factory, and therefore would not be a watch made in Minsk or Petrodorevts, like other Sekonda watches. You can confirm it to me?

3º.-. I would say this tripleshockproof 2414 movement or equivalent triple shockproof 2409 is the final evolution of the 1MWF movement from the Kirovskie 2408, the Stolichnie 2409 with 16 and then 17 jewels, the Poljot 2409 and 2414, and finally this 2414 triple shockproof Poljot/Sekonda. It would be correct?

4.- What are your impressions of this particular watch 2414? Do you think is legit?

Thank you in advance.
    elsoldemayo and heimdalg like this.

Re: SEKONDA 2414 21 JEWELS

Despite the fact that the closest example I could find, pictured below upper left, had a different hand set, I believe yours is probably a legit variation, Agapito, and one I was considering myself, mostly because of the rare movement. Based on the existence and performance of many soviet watches with no or single shockproofing it's hard to imagine why triple shockproofing was considered other than as a marketing ploy since the various First Moscow movements appear in some catalogs together. It's not such a big evolutionary step to add some shockproofing.

Sekonda used at least seven different soviet factories to produce their mens watches and I think they were every bit as good as their soviet fathers and are found in variations not seen in the USSR. My Sekonda collection includes some watches which I treasure highly.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 312
Size:  83.9 KB
    AGAPITO likes this.

Thank you very much schnurrp. You're always very friendly.

I agree. The Sekonda watches seem smart even today and it is normal that you treasure it highly. I would even say that Soviet watches for export were generally better, higher quality, than those destined for sale in the USSR (but it´s my opinion).

I think my watch would be the model 49 that is in the catalog of 1968, described as "also available with white dial and leather strap". In principle I would say the watch is legit. Even someone dialed the number of the watch movement as 2214A, as the watch movement indicates too.

Name:  0001.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  571.8 KB

Name:  fotos 2 catalogo.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  283.0 KB

It looks like a 1MWF movement .
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Yes, that's it comrade Agapito. The '68 Sekonda catalog that I have access to does not include that watch. Could you send me a link to your '68 Sekonda catalog?

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks, comrade Agapito, they had to publish a second Sekonda catalog in 1968 to include your watch.

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks to you. Your comment about the Sekonda watches have given you good performance and that are valued by you, has given me more confidence about this 2414A Sekonda.

Well, I think it is logical that if you want to sell watches, it makes sense to publish a catalog with all the watches you sell. It's a bit strange to leave to the imagination of customers how they can be a part of the watches you sell.

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Sekonda was not "sold to China". The brand outside of the Former Soviet Union remained under the same British ownership but they stopped buying any watches from Russia around 1993. They had been buying some watches from Hong Kong from the early 1980s alongside the Soviet built watches. The brand license agreement seems to have continued with the Russian manufacturers who had previously made the Sekonda watches, hence the Russian Sekondas that are different from the Chinese-sourced Sekondas sold elsewhere.
    AGAPITO likes this.
    Chascomm
    Moderator, Russian Watches & Chinese Mechanical Watches Forums
    (no, I am not going to list all my watches here)

Quote Originally Posted by schnurrp View Post
    Despite the fact that the closest example I could find, pictured below upper left, had a different hand set, I believe yours is probably a legit variation, Agapito, and one I was considering myself, mostly because of the rare movement. Based on the existence and performance of many soviet watches with no or single shockproofing it's hard to imagine why triple shockproofing was considered other than as a marketing ploy since the various First Moscow movements appear in some catalogs together. It's not such a big evolutionary step to add some shockproofing.

Sekonda used at least seven different soviet factories to produce their mens watches and I think they were every bit as good as their soviet fathers and are found in variations not seen in the USSR. My Sekonda collection includes some watches which I treasure highly.
    I've never seen one of these 21-jewel movements with "Made in USSR" on the dial. Always just "Foreign".

Nice one, Agapito!

Your questions have been largely answered, but to reiterate, I have not personally noticed any quality difference between Sekonda and other Soviet models. You are correct, this is a 1MWF movement, and you are also correct that these were intended for the export market. I've never seen a domestic, 21-jewel, triple-shockproofed movement, though they were destined for a number of other countries. There was also a 2409A version made by Poljot. Compare below:

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-08-31 at 10.21.43 PM.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  293.9 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-08-31 at 10.38.19 PM.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  299.7 KB

As for the Sekonda brand delineation, you might be interested in this thread, especially the post by a Sekonda spokesperson on the final page.

Quote Originally Posted by watch22 View Post
    I've never seen one of these 21-jewel movements with "Made in USSR" on the dial. Always just "Foreign".
    They're out there: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f10/alm...s-3430858.html (look very closely at the bottom of the dial; the crystal obscures it, but it's there)

Edit: As I recall, the "Foreign" designation was once a sufficient moniker to pass legal/import scrutiny, but was soon replaced by the full "Made in USSR" inscription a few years later. As such, maybe the inscription at the bottom of the dial could be used to date these watches since we now have 1968 catalog evidence of the latter. That's a long-winded way of saying I think the "Foreign" watches were pre-1968.
    Last edited by mroatman; September 1st, 2016 at 06:42.
    heimdalg likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information