Thread: Show Your Strela!

Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by OhDark30 View Post
    Don’t think I ever posted an update on this thread of my 1967 white 3017

Before:

After my watch guy had done his magic:

I bought it with semi-opaque crystal, jammed chrono and painted hands
    But I spotted that the dial was unfaded and the case really crisp
    Thought it was worth buying at low cost, fixing up, then selling if the style was too ornate for me (it is [IMG class=inlineimg]https://forums.watchuseek.com/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif[/IMG]

It took several trips to my watch guy to eliminate all the bugs in the chrono: my suspicion is that the watch picked up a fault in its early days and spent most of its career in a sock drawer

But it turned out beautifully, and restored to full working life
    Indeed a great decision to get it!

Re: Show Your Strela!

Quote Originally Posted by Odessa200 View Post
    The 1st Strela was made in 1959 and was given to pilots, cosmonauts and high ranking officials. Then in 1964 1mchz is renamed to Poljot and this watch is released under new name. In the early 70s it is released as Poljot (in latin) and then as Полет and still not available to general population (limited to special distribution to scientists, party leaders, etc). In the late 70s it comes as Seconda and finally enough was produced and they are available in regular stores for everyone.
    This was common belief until a few years ago, but is most likely a myth.
    Actually, as of today official documentation confirming this theory has yet to surface; while as a matter of fact the chronograph appears on the catalog by V.Vinogradov (printed for the general public) in 1960: that is, just a few months after its release.

Also worth remembering the Vostokintorg catalog (believed to have been printed in 1960, too) where, altough we lack the corresponding image, the Cyrillic-branded Cтрела is described in Russian text with French translation side by side: hard to explain the presence of a watch supposedly unavailable to the free market on a publication meant for export...

By the way: the earliest and much rarer Sekonda-branded 3017, with plain (no-telemeter scale) dial and Serif font, should have been marketed in the mid-60s already; in any case, the later and more common version with telemeter scale is listed on the 1968 Sekonda catalog as "Model 69" with a price tag of £16.19.6.
    OhDark30 and joecool like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Straight_time View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Odessa200 View Post
    The 1st Strela was made in 1959 and was given to pilots, cosmonauts and high ranking officials. Then in 1964 1mchz is renamed to Poljot and this watch is released under new name. In the early 70s it is released as Poljot (in latin) and then as Полет and still not available to general population (limited to special distribution to scientists, party leaders, etc). In the late 70s it comes as Seconda and finally enough was produced and they are available in regular stores for everyone.
    This was common belief until a few years ago, but is most likely a myth.
    Actually, as of today official documentation confirming this theory has yet to surface; while as a matter of fact the chronograph appears on the catalog by V.Vinogradov (printed for the general public) in 1960: that is, just a few months after its release.

Also worth remembering the Vostokintorg catalog (believed to have been printed in 1960, too) where, altough we lack the corresponding image, the Cyrillic-branded Cтрела is described in Russian text with French translation side by side: hard to explain the presence of a watch supposedly unavailable to the free market on a publication meant for export...

By the way: the earliest and much rarer Sekonda-branded 3017, with plain (no-telemeter scale) dial and Serif font, should have been marketed in the mid-60s already; in any case, the later and more common version with telemeter scale is listed on the 1968 Sekonda catalog as "Model 69" with a price tag of £16.19.6.
    I do not have enough facts to argue one way or another. My theory is that there is not contradiction that much. The USSR economy pretty much through all the years exhibited severe shortages of pretty much everything. Not always and not at the same time. I remember shortages of salt, matches, cigarets, etc. not to mentions shortages of TVs, refrigerators, furniture,... It well may be that on the paper (catalogs) such watches were in available for sale but in reality no one ever saw them. Common way to deal with such shortages was to distribute products via organizations. A factory would get X units of a product in demand and X units of something that no one wants (a book ‘written’ by a party leader for example). Best people in this organization would be offered to buy both products 🙂 This is how such books would get millions of copies to be sold making their authors happy 🙂 Miracles of the governorship controlled economy!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I am now more confused about the history of the 3017. Based on catalogue every single watch was available for purchase domestic and export. Also, different brands were used for military/space use as well.

Quote Originally Posted by arkitec View Post
    I am now more confused about the history of the 3017. Based on catalogue every single watch was available for purchase domestic and export. Also, different brands were used for military/space use as well.
    I think we need to differentiate theory from reality. What you describe is true: in theory 3017 was available to people. This is not a weapon or special military device that absolutely was limited to people in uniform. In reality, these were not found in stores. Having it in the catalog means the intend was to sell them. Different brands: yes, not only watches were rebranded. In the 50s and 60s the watch factories were re-branded. It was a boom for soviet watch industry.

Meanwhile, on a lunar secret station... a Poljot . .

Black dial

Name:  88C3F400-17EF-4C53-9AD9-B01075377FDC.jpeg
Views: 107
Size:  1.91 MB
    Name:  3FE5A0B1-C7D7-4D32-96C4-590227FA1841.jpeg
Views: 112
Size:  1.62 MB
    Eggsy, stevarad, JonS1967 and 7 others like this.

And here is my new acquisition, a Cyrillic Strela 3017 !
    The small chrono minute hand need to be repaired ... but I'm so happy !!!
    It's the left one :
    Attached Images Attached Images

24h, Abuyan, haha and 7 others like this.

Hello Comrades,

I am also interested in getting a Strela, i would like one of the models with the "СТРЕЛА" dial, but not the very early versions with the more blank dial, i am more into the type like the one in the photo (would you say that this is a newer replacement dial or can this particular one be original?)

What are your experiences?
    - Which websites would you recommend?
    - What price level do you consider realistic?

Regards and thanks for any hint.
    Josef
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hello Josef,

your potential watch ... I am no expert but compare the thicker indices with Kermit’s specimen in the previous post, IMO the dial is fake. The crown is replaced (often the case) & the late case does not match the time frame of that type of dial. The hands look ok but the upper pusher looks suspect . Personally, I would not buy it .

No biggy to me, but, I think this section is reserved/dedicated to post watches already in your collection . You will find a section dedicated to get ID/opinions on watch(es) you are considering and where all the 3017 lovers will be very happy to help you acquiring a nice specimen.

Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 LastLast

Thread Information