Slava 26 Jewels "top loading" crystal?

Thread: Slava 26 Jewels "top loading" crystal?

Slava 26 Jewels "top loading" crystal?

Hi guys,

First post on this forum :)

I've just got a vintage slava 26 jewels with a kind of weird crystal. It seems it has a rim cut into the case right on the top of it, and the crystal fits into there.

The crystal it had in there was old, scratched and came out when I was cleaning it.

I'm attaching some pictures here. Can someone help me with what type of crystal fits it and how does the fitting work?

Ps I've removed the chrome from the case. Will post some pictures after I fix the crystal
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by GabrielCS View Post
    Hi guys,

First post on this forum 🙂

I've just got a vintage slava 26 jewels with a kind of weird crystal. It seems it has a rim cut into the case right on the top of it, and the crystal fits into there.

The crystal it had in there was old, scratched and came out when I was cleaning it.

I'm attaching some pictures here. Can someone help me with what type of crystal fits it and how does the fitting work?

Ps I've removed the chrome from the case. Will post some pictures after I fix the crystal
    I guess you are NOT trying to make it authentic... original crystal is plastic and is held by pressure. You use a ‘crab’ a tool that grabs the crystal all around and slightly compresses it. See attached. Then you insert the crystal and release the grip. Crystal expands and lodges in the case. Done. You can order a replacement crystals from several sites like this https://www.cousinsuk.com/category/watch-glasses

Just measure the diameter and pick a desired shape. If you go with plastic get a slightly larger (instead of 30 mm get 30.2 for example). If you pick a different material I have no clue 🙂. If the crystal is just right or too small and is not held by pressure you can use crystal cement to glue it in. Helps?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Slava 26 Jewels "top loading" crystal?

Thank you, helps a lot!

Yeah, I'm not going for original really.
    The watch case was in poor condition when I bought it from a local flea market and I thought it would be a great project for a bronze watch

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thank you, helps a lot!

Yeah, I'm not going for original really.
    The watch case was in poor condition when I bought it from a local flea market and I thought it would be a great project for a bronze watch
    Given you had removed chrome... are you thinking about putting plastic? Or glass. Originally it was plastic...

Plastic, as it's more functional than mineral glass and easier to find I think

Plastic, as it's more functional than mineral glass and easier to find I think
    Then its easy. Get a replacement and put it in. I am waiting for one crystal myself...

I’ll just show you how this watch should look like.

Name:  S_2_2.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  365.4 KB

Name:  S_6_2.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  322.0 KB

I have one of these with a nice burnt gold dial and is a AU10, a very nice piece.

There is a chap on ebay who pops up with stadium and slava crystals for the round pieces, I can't remember the seller name but he wasn't hard to find as I want to get a couple to fix my tennis ball or dome Slava and my standard chrome one which has a lovely burgundy dial with gilt indices.

I have seen these listed on ebay as "Glory" but I gather Slava used a standard crystal on a few models as my 80 Olympic crystal fitted the dome but then I fitted it back on the Olympic and used a dab of glue to hold it in firm and now its locked in there tight.
    Rather sad, slightly mad 3 wheel van toting cat doting ol' timer...

Truly beautiful mate.

Next time post one of the movement also.
    Even if my watch is beaten up, the movement still looks as new :)
    I'll post one soon

Thread Information