Is this the Slava diver?

Thread: Is this the Slava diver?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Is this the Slava diver?

Is this a variation of the rare Slava diver, or a common Slava that has seen better days, or even one of those Chinese fakes? I'm not very good with Slavas.

Re: Is this the Slava diver?

It does not look like a modern Chinese fake, as they spell Slava incorrectly and use a different font...

But I'm not great at identifying vintage Slavas either. I always thought that the Slava divers looked like this watch on Ill-Phill's website or maybe this one (some Slavas were exported as Cornavin).
    Last edited by domi; November 2nd, 2010 at 10:37.

Thank you domi, but isn't that Cornavin a Raketa in disguise?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Lucidor View Post
    Thank you domi, but isn't that Cornavin a Raketa in disguise?
    Sorry, I was trying to post two watches and it didn't work

What I meant to say is that the first one in my (updated) post is probably the Slava diver, but the second one might also be related, as both Raketa and Slava exported under Cornavin at one point in time. But again, I'm not a Slava or Raketa aficionado - I'm just throwing it out there.
    Last edited by domi; November 2nd, 2010 at 10:44.

Is this a variation of the rare Slava diver, or a common Slava that has seen better days, or even one of those Chinese fakes? I'm not very good with Slavas.

The dial is Slava for sure, but the bezel?
    Actially this bezel is also Slava but the combination of this bezel and this dial?
    Look here: :: USSR watches collection
    This is a great collection of Russian collector Dmitry Troshin.
    You will see many Slavas (and not only Slavas - http://www.ussr-watches.ru/collection.shtml) to learn more about them.
    Last edited by Silversen; November 2nd, 2010 at 11:24.

The original Slava diver is a very rare watch that was produced for a short time sometime in the mid 1980s. In fact, there is speculation that it was never officially shipped by the factory at all. If this is the case, then all of the pieces in collections are 'unauthorized'. This scenario is made credible by the fact that there seems to be a big variation in the kinds of hands seen on the few pieces that are out there. There are also different case backs. This supports the idea that employees were sneaking unfinished pieces out of the factory and completing them with whatever hands they could get a hold of.

I have 2 pieces in my collection. They can be seen on my website... numbers 0548 and 0568. Both contain a 21-jewel 2414 movement and have a screw-down crown.

Here is some photos of 0568, which seems to have the most credible hands (at least to me), and the back of 0568, which is 'branded'.

-- Mark
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Mark Gordon; November 2nd, 2010 at 14:15.
    View my collection at:
    http://www.ussrtime.com
    a fully searchable photo-info database containing more than 1500 Soviet-era clocks & watches

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gordon View Post
    The original Slava diver is a very rare watch that was produced for a short time sometime in the mid 1980s. In fact, there is speculation that it was never officially shipped by the factory at all. If this is the case, then all of the pieces in collections are 'unauthorized'. This scenario is made credible by the fact that there seems to be a big variation in the kinds of hands seen on the few pieces that are out there. There are also different case backs. This supports the idea that employees were sneaking unfinished pieces out of the factory and completing them with whatever hands they could get a hold of.

I have 2 pieces in my collection. They can be seen on my website... numbers 0548 and 0568. Both contain a 21-jewel 2414 movement and have a screw-down crown.

Here is some photos of 0568, which seems to have the most credible hands (at least to me), and the back of 0568, which is 'branded'.

-- Mark
    Great info, Mark and another evidence of your super-competence!
    It goes without saying that any who is interested in Soviet horology must look at your site. The collection of Troshin being far smaller than yours is great, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Silversen View Post
    The collection of Troshin being far smaller than yours is great, too.
    Dmitri's collection is fantastic and contains many wonderful things, including pieces I drool over and would kill to have. He is a close friend and we cooperate on many projects. We often share or exchange both our knowledge and our finds. The same is true for Phil in Switzerland (Illphil to members of the forum).

The Soviets produced millions of watches and clocks. There are enough pieces for everyone -- even the 'rare' pieces. There is no need to be competitive. Especially when cooperation is so much more fun.

I urge all the forum members who have a serious interest in Russian horology to visit Dmitri's site ( :: USSR watches collection :: ) and Phil's site ( russian_watches ), as well as my wite ( http://www.ussrtime.com )

-- Mark
    Last edited by Mark Gordon; November 2nd, 2010 at 15:43.
    View my collection at:
    http://www.ussrtime.com
    a fully searchable photo-info database containing more than 1500 Soviet-era clocks & watches

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gordon View Post
    Dmitri's collection is fantastic and contains many wonderful things, including pieces I drool over and would kill to have. He is a close friend and we cooperate on many projects. We often share or exchange both our knowledge and our finds. The same is true for Phil in Switzerland (Illphil to members of the forum).

The Soviets produced millions of watches and clocks. There are enough pieces for everyone -- even the 'rare' pieces. There is no need to be competitive. Especially when cooperation is so much more fun.

I urge all the forum members who have a serious interest in Russian horology to visit Dmitri's site ( :: USSR watches collection :: ) and Phil's site ( russian_watches ), as well as my wite ( Welcome to USSR Time! )

-- Mark
    I absolutely support your idea and was slightly ahead of you in posting the link to his site.

But Mark, how about the Slava Lucidor posted here? Is it authentic in your competent opinion or is it one Slava combined of two Slavas?

This watch has been for sale for a lot of time. If it's still for sale, it's 2 years and more now. Price was crazy and seller did nto want not want to sell for a more reasonable price.
    Parts are original, unless i'm wrong. Bezel is probably common with some quartz model, but i'm not sure about the edge design. This watch was made with black plastic case too.

Nothing in common with the Slava Amphibia 100M anyway. I was probably the first to (imprudently ) talk about that watch in 2006, when i have seen a strange diver watch with loosen crystal on auction. I can't find that old thread with this mess on the new platform. Lost that one (it was gone for 50 Euro), then it skyrocketed in price and became a grail watch.

Anyway, maybe i will be able to find that missing grail too, some day or some year. Phil and Nuno helped me with two very rare watches (Luch 3055 and Vostok 300M), i'm very grateful to them.

BTW, i would like to rebuild my site to host my 420 watches, but i think that today i would never find somebody who would build a whole website for free as i did for Mark in 2005 ( Mark Gordon's Russian Watches Collection ).

My personal website (russianwatches.altervista.org) is old and full of outdated informations. Too bad i can't find solutions for it. No time to make new pics - i think i will delete it.

On WUS since 2002 - Russian Watch Forum moderator from 2005 to 2012

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information