Teaser
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Teaser

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Teaser

I think it was about a thousand years ago that I said I was going to learn how to pad print dials.

Well this is still a prototype but IMHO it is one of the first ones that is worthy of a post.

The lume really pumps.

Name:  Vostok Cali.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  83.6 KB

More to come but I'll be away until next week.
    Old enough to appreciate the saying
    "Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!"

Re: Teaser

I like it. I briefly looked into the process, it's quite involved.

I'm playing around with etching brass right now for textured dials - lots of challenges there too
    Jake_P likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by A.Sev View Post
    I like it. I briefly looked into the process, it's quite involved.

I'm playing around with etching brass right now for textured dials - lots of challenges there too
    Thanks A.Sev.
    Unfortunately I had some early wins that made me think it was going to be easy but as you said, it ain't!

I'd be interested in seeing some of your dials as well.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Good work, that looks great! Tagged for interest.

Sent from my [null] using lots of coffee

Quote Originally Posted by 1afc View Post
    I think it was about a thousand years ago that I said I was going to learn how to pad print dials.

Well this is still a prototype but IMHO it is one of the first ones that is worthy of a post.

The lume really pumps.

Great work and no small achievement!

I stumbled across this Youtuber recently that has a series of video's explaining how he makes his custom dials for watches that he sells..He goes into his pad printing setup which is a fantastic watch (no pun intended)..I forget how many videos he has - maybe 6 or seven running through the process. What it showed was that even for a guy that's very clued in in terms of the pad printing, the results are still a little hit and miss at times!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc745DYPb_0

Very promising start! I imagine its quite a though learning curve but very rewarding in the end.
    Maybe when you feel more confident in your skills you can show us your setup? :)

Excellent ....

Name:  hqdefault.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  15.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Jake_P View Post
    Great work and no small achievement!

I stumbled across this Youtuber recently that has a series of video's explaining how he makes his custom dials for watches that he sells..He goes into his pad printing setup which is a fantastic watch (no pun intended)..I forget how many videos he has - maybe 6 or seven running through the process. What it showed was that even for a guy that's very clued in in terms of the pad printing, the results are still a little hit and miss at times!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc745DYPb_0
    Hi Jake.

Yes I have seen the video.
    Take this how you like because he is obviously making watches and dials and I'm not..yet.

but

IMHO the method he is using is really not suited to what he is trying to produce.
    That machine is a manual machine with a closed cup ink system.

Closed cup systems in themselves are really good because the ink doesn't dry out in the plate.
    But have a look at all the mucking around to get it set up.
    And he also doesn't show you how to clean the ink cup which is no small task.
    They are meant for multiple runs and (again IMHO) not for what he is doing.

Have a look at many youtube videos for watch dial printing and you will soon see what smaller custom manufacturers use.
    They typically have a 50mmx50mm plate ( not the 200x100 of the other machine) and the operator puts on only the ink needed to do the job.
    Much more economical.

I think there is a general perception that you just need a pad printer and you're good to go.
    In my experience that's the least of your problems.

The hardest skill is learning how to make good photo plates with an ability to vary the depth of etch depending on what you are doing.

I started out trying to shortcut the system with cheap low powered exposure lights and using clamps to hold the artwork hard against the glass.
    By all means give it a go but it's a TOTAL waste of time if you are looking for impeccable results.

Also looking at a dial at arms length (pun intended) doesn't tell you anything.
    I can show you good looking dials that are covered in spiderwebs when you look closer.

I have made my own exposure light and vacuum system so I now have control and you really do have to have that to get a great result.
    Light, by definition has small wavelengths and it really does diffract around any edges.

I have also spoken to producers of the laser cut plates and they told me that the laser plates are not yet able to get the same definition as photopolymer plates.
    Regardless of that, one needs to be able to adjust the plate depth to suit different inks etc.

Yes I am looking at producing dials for commercial sale so you need to make your own decision as to what to believe and what not to.

I believe I have developed a few pretty interesting techniques for dials and lumes so I won't be giving that away.

However I'm happy to comment on stuff that is basically in the public domain (small as it is on this subject).
    Last edited by 1afc; 1 Day Ago at 01:21.

Quote Originally Posted by 1afc View Post

The lume really pumps.

Great job, comrade! The minute markers wheel detail is just WOW!
    Another big passion of mine is graphic design and typography in particular, and considering the size of the canvas, this an amazing achievement! Much respect!
    Ivan

Arrrghh

Double posts
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast