Technochas Elektronika 55D
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Technochas Elektronika 55D

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Technochas Elektronika 55D

It's arrived and I'm very happy.

First I tried it with a Casio-style bracelet. You can't really go wrong with one of those on any chromed Elektronika.

Name:  Technochas55D-casiobracelet.jpg
Views: 815
Size:  1.34 MB

I haven't fully explored all the functions, but it seems quite straightforward. The count-down timer is easy to set up. Setting the time is like any other digital. The full calendar is a nice feature. The very thin pushers have just enough positive action to make the stopwatch easy to operate. The light is no better than a Casio F-91W, but I expected that. The hour chime is an easy single button action to switch on/off, which is handy. I haven't played with the alarm yet, but the instructions seem to be similar to the 77A.

My biggest criticism is that LCD has poorer contrast than a common Casio. In bright light that is no problem, but my old eyes struggle a bit in low light, unless I wear my reading glasses but I can't do that all the time. When my eye deteriorate further to the point of needing glasses all the time, then the problem will go away, I guess. On the up-side, the larger digits of the 55D display (compared to the regular 55) mitigate the problem somewhat.

You will notice that the case is the larger type than the 55, which I think is needed to accomodate the larger display.

I've now swapped the strap for something slightly more substantial yet still thin.

Name:  Technochas55D.jpg
Views: 1321
Size:  1.30 MB

Now I'm looking forward to the prospect of an Elektronika forum project.
    Chascomm
    Moderator, Russian Watches & Chinese Mechanical Watches Forums
    (no, I am not going to list all my watches here)

Re: Technochas Elektronika 55D

Comrade Chascomm! Thank you for the comprehensiver review. Your Elektronika is somewhat different, being a 55, but "d" it looks like the display is much bigger, similar to the Чн-01. It suits the case and the crystal so well!
    Thanks for sharing and would like to get my hands on one of these, as I havenot seen them in technochas' page. Is it special order? And your bracelet, the one in the last picture, is just lovely. Thank you for sharing.
    Best regards
    Chascomm likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chascomm View Post
    The light is no better than a Casio F-91W, but I expected that. The hour chime is an easy single button action to switch on/off, which is handy.
    I disagree with that, the bulb light in my Elektronikas are much better than my basic Casio ones, on pair with 80s G shocks that still used powerful orange bulbs.

For the screen it's true: they are darker than a F91W, my Electronika 53 has a distinct green shade that you see on vintage LCDs from the 70s.

Quote Originally Posted by RFollia View Post
    Comrade Chascomm! Thank you for the comprehensiver review. Your Elektronika is somewhat different, being a 55, but "d" it looks like the display is much bigger, similar to the Чн-01. It suits the case and the crystal so well!
    Yes the 55D uses case and a display of the same dimensions of the 01 but the 55 module that is very popular, it was developed by Technochas as the 54 and 55 always had small digits, see the comparison with the F-84W:

Name:  IMG_20190306_211837.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  861.9 KB

You can also appreciate the difference in colour of the LCD screen, in the 80s I'm pretty sure Electronikas had silver LCDs like Casios...what changed in Integral I don't know.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Chascomm and miquel99 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

24h

Can you explain the difference between Integral and Technochas?
    Electronika is a line of watches, but are the two names above separate companies?

My YouTube Channel for watch modding and I​nstagram for (mostly) Russian watches

Quote Originally Posted by 24h View Post
    Can you explain the difference between Integral and Technochas?
    Electronika is a line of watches, but are the two names above separate companies?
    Yes, that is correct.

Integral is a big state-owned electronics manufacturer dating back to Soviet times. They do all sorts of stuff and watches were just a minor line. They have several factories across Belarus. They were the manufacturer of 'Elektronika-5' watches. Kamerton brand was made by their factory in Pinsk, alongside medical electronics. Post-Soviet, they continued to make the popular models 55, 77A etc, and developed the 01 module. So the old brands are Elektronika, Kamerton and Integral. A few years ago Integral decided to get out of the watch business. Technochas is a new company that has taken over the assembly of watches using modules made by Integral. They have produced watches like mine bearing their own name, as well as bringing back many of the classic styles under the Elektronika brand. As they continue to establish their business, we can expect to see more original designs of both cases and modules. If they are able to get module assembly in-house (still using Integral components) then that will give them greater flexibility to develop their own style.

I'm very pleased that my watch has the Technochas name as I would like them to be better known. I feel like too much focus on the old Elektronika branding may obscure their identity.
    24h, cuthbert, miquel99 and 1 others like this.
    Chascomm

Quote Originally Posted by RFollia View Post
    Thanks for sharing and would like to get my hands on one of these, as I havenot seen them in technochas' page. Is it special order? And your bracelet, the one in the last picture, is just lovely. Thank you for sharing.
    Best regards
    I think that it was a limited batch. They disappeared from the catalogue fairly quickly. You might want to send a message to Surok55 for more information.
    RFollia likes this.
    Chascomm

I'm very pleased that my watch has the Technochas name as I would like them to be better known. I feel like too much focus on the old Elektronika branding may obscure their identity.
    To be honest the design of the dial with "Technochas" is much better than other designs for the module 01A, and since it's a new model developed by Technochas (I think the first really new design this company has offered) it oughts to be called "Technochas".

I think that it was a limited batch. They disappeared from the catalogue fairly quickly. You might want to send a message to Surok55 for more information.
    It appears they started working on this watch in 2017 in order to "fix" the issue of the small digits of the Soviet 55:

http://www.technochas.ru/blog/2017/0...ektronika-55d/

As Surok has written they have problems with Integral who probably think the watch business is marginal, that is the reason why the 55D is rare and they have few 01s in comparison to years ago, but due to the popularity of the watch I suspect they will make more of them once they start making the modules by themselves.
    Chascomm likes this.

By the way, it occurred to me that it has been several years since I last bought a new watch that was not a forum project. I think that it might have been this one:

Name:  Elektronika77A-BrownStrap.JPG
Views: 212
Size:  358.6 KB

...and I'm not entirely sure that it was new. Somebody was dumping large quantities of Integral 77A and 55B watches on ebay for suspiciously low buy-now. Mine developed reliability issues after the first battery change, so it has been retired.
    24h, miquel99 and cuthbert like this.
    Chascomm

Hopefully this 55D will last longer.

Quote Originally Posted by cuthbert View Post
    Hopefully this 55D will last longer.
    I am confident that Technochas are more interested in what they are doing compared to the last years of Integral's watch production.
    24h likes this.
    Chascomm

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information