WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

The travelling Vostok, who wants it?

122K views 783 replies 148 participants last post by  stevarad 
#1 · (Edited)
I was thinking about doing this last year. I wanted to send a watch around the world to WUS f10 forumers.

I have a CCCP Vostok 2409A I received in a box lot over the summer. It has a burn mark from sitting in a store display under where the hour hand sat at 2 O'clock. The lume is gone from the hour hand and the dial looks like it never had any. I was told it is NOS. It does not have a band but I'm sure everyone has a bund or NATO to put it on.

I'm not real fond of it but thought why not service it and send it off?

Who ever wants it first, PM me your address and I will ship it on Monday.

When you receive it post a photo wrist shot with a background of your choice and keep it for 1, 2, 3 days or more. When you are ready, post it for the next forumer to send it to. If it goes to Italy it may take 40 days to get there.

How or why did I come up with this? I don't know.

It would be interesting to see where it goes in 1 year.

Note to mods, if this post is too goofy or too wacky, please delete. :roll:

Dan

See less See more
#317 ·
Add me to the list! Currently in the eastern mountains of Afghanistan (Pakistan Border - Khyber Pass).
No worries about the mail - Military takes the mail very seriously.
Waiting for Vlad's arrival. I will take him with me to Dubai get photos there and send on his way.

#319 ·
Hi folks, sorry about the 'Vlad hiatus' but I had some serious ICT dramas and couldn't post anything for a while... Vlad visited the country town of Gundaroo on the weekend where he watched my wife and I eat wood-fired pizza before saying hi to the local Zebra...

This week I will take Vlad on a little tour of Canberra, Australia's capital, then it will be time for him to go to his next caretaker and destination...

Cheers
John

#320 ·
soopadoopa!
When were you at Tillman?
I was there late 2011 - early 2012. Yeah, 9000+ feet elevation gets a bit nippy!!!
I loved Tillman! Best kept secret in the country. Closed down Oct 2012. Most shuffled off to BAF. I was lucky to go to Sharana.

#321 · (Edited)
i wasn't there when they broke ground, but i did help build several of the beehuts, so pretty freakin' early. didn't even have showers for months, just buckets and hescos. 2006? we actually just called it l'wharra (sp?) for most of the time i was there. wasn't until we were about to leave that they changed it to tillman. that was actually the best time i had in the army. it was the wild west, right outta recruitment commericials.

when you gettin' home?

topical - there are a buncha redheaded afghanis around there b/c of all the russians banging everything they could back in the 80s. it'd be like coming home for this ticker...

#322 ·
In 2011 it had not changed much. Still pretty wild west. Incoming every day at 1200 - 1215. Always tried to hit the mess. Never did.
Funny you should say that - in Kunar we have a lot of gingers here. Kind of freaky in a way. Now I have a logical explanation.
Hope to make it home in August for wife's birthday.
Here are a couple of shots from my current location, just so you can remember what you are missing. ;)

Hill Castle Highland Hill station Fortification
Sky Mountainous landforms Hill station Mountain Cloud

#325 ·
lol took me todays to read this thread and what can I say but this is the essence of watch loving and as it already been near my local I will just wait and watch for now an enjoy ;)

#327 ·
All,

I'm going to ask to be taken off the list of hosts for Vlad please. I'll enjoy following his progress, but have quite a lot going on work-wise with travel etc so won't be able to give him decent hospitality at the moment.

#328 · (Edited)
Folks, please accept my apologies for the length of time between Vlad posts - I won't bore you with excuses but various factors have gotten in the way of me carrying out my duty. It is time for Vlad to go to a new caretaker - I'm not sure how that works so perhaps an Admin could PM me with the how-to? In the meantime please enjoy these (albeit Vlad-less) images of Canberra, Australia's capital:

Parliament House

The Australian War Memorial

The National Library

Telstra Tower and Lake Burley Griffin

Parliament house during the balloon festival

The national Arboretum

Finally, some of the company Vlad has been keeping while in my care

I can assure you that Vlad was at all the above locations during his stay with me but for one reason or another an image with the watch wasn't possible. :-(

Thanks for your patience and I look forward to guidance on moving Vlad along!

Regards
John

#345 ·
Some pics of Vlad having a cracker of a time by the beach ....

Water Calm Photography Sea Landscape

Water Sea Horizon Calm Architecture

These are all taken using a soviet-era Russian mechanical camera, shot on expired soviet-era film !! Very grainy, and some obvious "ghosts" from the cracks in the shutter curtain (which only show up on very bright days) I love my Russian mechanical camera as much as my Russian mechanical watches ! Every image is a surprise.

I will post some "modern" pics of Vlad soon, using a digital camera before he heads off to Perth tomorrow :)

Enjpy

#347 ·
Nice to see Vlad has made it to Aus and particularly to beautiful Perth. I would love to be involved and have a visit from Vlad and let him chat with another beautiful Vostok i have that i got from Russia earlier in the year. I have the next few weeks holiday and am up in the northern coastal suburbs and would love to show Vlad a good time. PM if you would consider passing him on up the coast, would love to show him some great sights and get some great pics up

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.