The travelling Vostok, who wants it? - Page 16
Like Tree1316Likes

Thread: The travelling Vostok, who wants it?

Page 16 of 72 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 66 ... LastLast

Re: The travelling Vostok, who wants it?

i didnt know you are a Red mate,
    Aye mate, lived on Sevvie park between 1989-1993. Left twenty years ago to the month. Missed it and still miss it more than I ever missed my own country, odd as that may seem.

On the Kop about 2/3 up behind the big steel support just right of the goal, looking at it from the pitch.

Stilll blare out all my Kop chants a few days prior to the match at home, and in the NYC bar where I attend the matches when I can.

My oldest two have taken quite a shine to getting dressed up and waking up early to enter that forbidden adult world, a bar! With adult men, and women, yelling and screaming and carrying on, more than a few in unusual accents and strange vocabularies. My oldest went "How many generations Liverpool fans are there in our family Dad?" My dead pan "one, son" was a bit of a disappointment. Well, I guess it's 2 now.

My SO's oldest did not get it. "We come all this way to watch a football game, on TV????" He thought somehow we were going to make it to the real thing.

Given the current ticket prices watching the game on the telly with your mates in the pub is probably the way to go anyway. Most of my mates gave up their season tickets years ago. A long way from paying into the turnstile with your 2 quid .....

But back on topic: we love you Vlad

I had planned on taking Vlad flying yesterday evening, but mother nature did not cooperate:

Name:  vlad-5.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  185.1 KB

It turned out that the weather remained legal VFR, but it was too iffy. Better to be on the ground wishing you were flying, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

We'll try again next Tuesday ...
    mitadoc, Erwandy and Ticonderoga like this.
    Stefan Vorkoetter: Programmer, hobbyist, amateur watchmaker, pilot, and collector of fountain pens, slide rules, calculators, and watches.

::subwave:: Chronograph • Sea-Gull "1963" Chronograph • Vortix Evolution (Explorer/Ranger homage) • Vortix Adventurer (Sub/Explorer homage) • Black Lagoon (Black Bay homage) • Velocimaster V-33 (X-33 homage) • Штурманские (Sturmanskie) Chronograph • Полет (Poljot)/Sekonda Alarm • Восток Амфибия (Vostok Amphibia) 420 with Cavalry Dial • Timex Expedition

The travelling Vostok, who wants it?

Good call, Stefan!
    Wouldn't want you (or Vlad) involved in a WIS - watch-induced smashup
    Last edited by OhDark30; June 13th, 2013 at 17:11.
    DO NOT put sales verbiage in your signature.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

DolleDolf we have probably bumped into each other in the pubs on Lark lane ! I used to stand on the Kop to the left of the goal, happy days mate, i dont go too often these
    days what with ticket prices nearly ฃ50 & a 7 year old son wanting all the new kits (another ฃ60 a pop.)
    DolleDolf likes this.

Tonight I had some time to regulate Vlad. Just from checking him against an accurate time source every day, I'd determined that he was running at about -40s/d, so I thought a slight adjustment was in order.

First, I clipped on a contact microphone, which is plugged into a pre-amp that I built, which in turn goes into the line-in on my PC.

Name:  vlad-reg-1.jpg
Views: 541
Size:  423.3 KB

I then recorded Vlad using Audacity, for just over 20 seconds. I edited the recording so that it began exactly at the beginning of a tick, and then went and looked at the tick nearest the 20 second mark. The screenshot below is a close-up of the 20 second mark:

Name:  vlad-timing-1.png
Views: 514
Size:  44.8 KB

Notice that the tick that should occur at exactly 20 seconds doesn't occur until 20.009 seconds. That corresponds to a rate of about -39 seconds per day, since 86400 - (20.009 - 20) * 86400 = -39

To fix this, I put Vlad in my case holder,

Name:  vlad-reg-2.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  313.0 KB

and opened him up. I moved the regulator, pointed to by the red arrow, a very small amount in the direction of the red arrow:

Name:  vlad-reg-3.jpg
Views: 527
Size:  407.2 KB

How small? The photo below shows the before and after positions of the regulator:

Name:  vlad-reg-4.jpg
Views: 527
Size:  267.1 KB

I then made another recording like the first one:

Name:  vlad-timing-2.png
Views: 504
Size:  54.8 KB

Now the tick at 20 seconds starts at 20.001 seconds. That's about -4 seconds per day. Good enough!

I also checked the amplitude:

Name:  vlad-timing-3.png
Views: 521
Size:  56.8 KB

The length of one tick is about 12ms, which for a movement with 19800 half-beats per hour and a 42 degree lift angle, corresponds to an amplitude of 203 degrees. Not great, but the watch seems to work fine. A complete overhaul would probably improve this (my own Vostok is reading 10ms, which is 243 degrees).

Now I'll see how well Vlad keeps time over the next few days.
    OhDark30, sq100, ObZerver and 6 others like this.
    Stefan Vorkoetter: Programmer, hobbyist, amateur watchmaker, pilot, and collector of fountain pens, slide rules, calculators, and watches.

::subwave:: Chronograph • Sea-Gull "1963" Chronograph • Vortix Evolution (Explorer/Ranger homage) • Vortix Adventurer (Sub/Explorer homage) • Black Lagoon (Black Bay homage) • Velocimaster V-33 (X-33 homage) • Штурманские (Sturmanskie) Chronograph • Полет (Poljot)/Sekonda Alarm • Восток Амфибия (Vostok Amphibia) 420 with Cavalry Dial • Timex Expedition

Awesome, thanks for posting this

Today my best friend came to visit, and we decided to do something we hadn't done since we were 12 years old. Vlad came along to ... watch:

Name:  vlad-and-raketa.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  405.9 KB

Notice that the second hand does not move much between frames. Those 8 frames represent about one quarter of a second, during which time a Vostok second hand would move 2/11 of a second.

By my rough calculations, between the 5th and 7th frames, the rocket is accelerating at about 15G.

Here's a sharper still of Vlad taken a few minutes earlier. The device in my hand is the launch controller.

Name:  vlad-and-raketa-still.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  254.8 KB

Unfortunately, the winds aloft were stronger than we thought, and we lost the rocket in the woods.

Ракета пролетела восток
    Last edited by svorkoetter; June 16th, 2013 at 04:10. Reason: Added another picture

That brings back memories. In 8th grade my science teacher started a rocket club. I had over 10 rockets. We sent a mouse up once and he came back with no obvious injuries but did not live. Perhaps the g's got to him or he had a heart attack. This teacher also had archery and taxidermy club. We also raised fancy tailed guppies. He was a cool teacher, thanks Mr. G.
    Last edited by Ratfacedgit; June 16th, 2013 at 14:47.
    OhDark30 and GlenRoiland like this.
    "Dyslexics of the world, UNTIE"
    "I tried to think but nothing happens"

Hey, I guess the flight could have been in honour of Valentina Tereshkova, since it was technically already June 16th in Kazakhstan at the time of our launch!

Excellent idea!
    Looks great fun - what is your rocket powered by?
    DO NOT put sales verbiage in your signature.

Page 16 of 72 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 66 ... LastLast

Thread Information