The travelling Vostok, who wants it? - Page 17
Like Tree1334Likes

Thread: The travelling Vostok, who wants it?

Page 17 of 74 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 67 ... LastLast

Re: The travelling Vostok, who wants it?

A pilot lost a rocket? What's the world coming to?
    Δός μοι πᾶ στῶ καὶ τὰν γᾶν κινάσω.
    Give me where to stand and I will move the earth

Archimedes quoted by Pappus of Alexandria

Quote Originally Posted by OhDark30 View Post
    Excellent idea!
    Looks great fun - what is your rocket powered by?
    I'm not sure what the exact composition is, but they are single-use (i.e. non-reloadable) solid fuel model rocket engines. The smoke smells somewhat like sulphur. My friend and I used to fly these rockets a lot when we were kids. They're very easy to build, and not very expensive. What surprised me is that my 35 year old rocket engines still worked perfectly.
    Stefan Vorkoetter: Programmer, hobbyist, amateur watchmaker, pilot, and collector of fountain pens, slide rules, calculators, and watches.

::subwave:: Chronograph • Sea-Gull "1963" Chronograph • Vortix Evolution (Explorer/Ranger homage) • Vortix Adventurer (Sub/Explorer homage) • Black Lagoon (Black Bay homage) • Velocimaster V-33 (X-33 homage) • Штурманские (Sturmanskie) Chronograph • Полет (Poljot)/Sekonda Alarm • Восток Амфибия (Vostok Amphibia) 420 with Cavalry Dial • Timex Expedition

Last edited by Ratfacedgit; June 16th, 2013 at 17:31.
    "Dyslexics of the world, UNTIE"
    "I tried to think but nothing happens"

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Vlad with my wife Lori, and our Norwegian Fjord Horse, Rjelgrimm:

Name:  vlad-lori-and-rjelgrimm.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  472.1 KB

Vlad with our (Russian!) friend Elena, and our Fjord, Bluebird Lane Kestrel:

Name:  vlad-elena-and-kestrel.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  524.4 KB

With Elena again, and our dog, Iris:

Name:  vlad-elena-and-iris.jpg
Views: 916
Size:  625.6 KB
    Stefan Vorkoetter: Programmer, hobbyist, amateur watchmaker, pilot, and collector of fountain pens, slide rules, calculators, and watches.

::subwave:: Chronograph • Sea-Gull "1963" Chronograph • Vortix Evolution (Explorer/Ranger homage) • Vortix Adventurer (Sub/Explorer homage) • Black Lagoon (Black Bay homage) • Velocimaster V-33 (X-33 homage) • Штурманские (Sturmanskie) Chronograph • Полет (Poljot)/Sekonda Alarm • Восток Амфибия (Vostok Amphibia) 420 with Cavalry Dial • Timex Expedition

Yes, I used Estes engines back in the day as well, although the most recent batch I bought (in about 1978), and the one I used for this flight, were Canaroc, a now long defunct Canadian company. Very cheaply made compared to Estes, but they obviously held up well. I'm going to have to build another rocket to use up the rest of the engines. Perhaps something with a Soviet theme.

And now for something completely mundane.

And perhaps even more mundane, although I suspect Vlad never saw this much produce in one place in his early life:

I posted these pictures (sharing the same uploaded copy) to the "At the Controls" thread too.

Tomorrow, we're going flying, weather permitting. And then it will be time to send Vlad on. But to whom?

I noticed something interesting about Vlad on the way in to work this morning as the sun glinted off the dial. Take a look a this:

Name:  vlad-hour-scratches.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  349.7 KB

It seems that the tip of the hour hand touches the dial between about 8 o'clock and 12 o'clock. When I regulated Vlad a few days back, I stopped when I had him at about -4s/d, but subsequent checking against an atomic clock showed that he was actually running at +22s/d. I think this is because I did the regulation at about 9:30, when the hand was dragging, so at that time he was running slower than average.

If I find the time before I send him to the next person, I'll check that the dial is parallel to the movement, adjust the hour hand if necessary, and re-regulate.

I noticed that before and made sure the hour hand did not drag. I regulated it averaging over 20 hours with a timegrapher. The main spring is weak like many vintage Vostok's and the rate and amplitude varies greatly from fully wound to run down. It runs more consistantly when wound fully then rewound every 8 hours.

Dan
    herdingwetcats likes this.

Okay, I'll leave it alone then.

So, that big question is, who gets him next and what do they need to do?

I'm sure you can come up with something other then the first PM.

Dan

Page 17 of 74 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 67 ... LastLast

Thread Information