The travelling Vostok, who wants it? - Page 18
Like Tree1334Likes

Thread: The travelling Vostok, who wants it?

Page 18 of 74 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 68 ... LastLast

Re: The travelling Vostok, who wants it?

Finally took Vlad flying today! It was a beautiful day for it, albeit a little bumpy. Here's our ride, a Diamond DA20-A1 Katana, an all glass and carbon fibre two-seater powered by an 80hp Rotax 912, turning a constant speed prop through a 2.27:1 gearbox. Flying this compared to the typical Cessna 172 is like driving a sports car compared to a full-sized pickup truck:

Name:  vlad-flying-1.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  267.8 KB

Here we are doing our pre-flight routine. I'm using an electronic checklist app that I wrote for the Palm Tungsten organizer strapped to my knee:

Name:  vlad-flying-2.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  309.5 KB

Approaching a wind farm that's about 10km NE of my place:

Name:  vlad-flying-3.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  240.3 KB

Name:  vlad-flying-4.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  236.7 KB

Back on the ground post-flight, hanging out on the intstrument panel:

Name:  vlad-flying-5.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  360.7 KB

After finishing all the usual paperwork, I went and sat in our flight school's newest acquisition, a Diamond DA-40 Diamond Star. This is basically the four seat version of the Katana with a glass panel:

Name:  vlad-flying-6.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  265.0 KB

Name:  vlad-flying-not-7.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  352.3 KB

Vlad says he prefers round dials with hands.

The first person who can tell me what heading I was flying towards the wind farm (within 5 degrees) can have Vlad next.
    Last edited by svorkoetter; June 19th, 2013 at 04:05.
    Stefan Vorkoetter: Programmer, hobbyist, amateur watchmaker, pilot, and collector of fountain pens, slide rules, calculators, and watches.

::subwave:: Chronograph • Sea-Gull "1963" Chronograph • Vortix Evolution (Explorer/Ranger homage) • Vortix Adventurer (Sub/Explorer homage) • Black Lagoon (Black Bay homage) • Velocimaster V-33 (X-33 homage) • Штурманские (Sturmanskie) Chronograph • Полет (Poljot)/Sekonda Alarm • Восток Амфибия (Vostok Amphibia) 420 with Cavalry Dial • Timex Expedition

Are we geussing this heading or figuring out from the intstruments? I like it.

Excellent posting Stefan. You must be one busy dude keeping up with everything, abviously a type-A personality.
    "Dyslexics of the world, UNTIE"
    "I tried to think but nothing happens"

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodtkr View Post
    Are we geussing this heading or figuring out from the intstruments? I like it.
    Any way you want. There are plenty of clues.
    Stefan Vorkoetter: Programmer, hobbyist, amateur watchmaker, pilot, and collector of fountain pens, slide rules, calculators, and watches.

::subwave:: Chronograph • Sea-Gull "1963" Chronograph • Vortix Evolution (Explorer/Ranger homage) • Vortix Adventurer (Sub/Explorer homage) • Black Lagoon (Black Bay homage) • Velocimaster V-33 (X-33 homage) • Штурманские (Sturmanskie) Chronograph • Полет (Poljot)/Sekonda Alarm • Восток Амфибия (Vostok Amphibia) 420 with Cavalry Dial • Timex Expedition

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Is heading 060 a good guess?

That was quick! Which clue did you use?

So, if you want Vlad, PM me your mailing address.
    Last edited by svorkoetter; June 19th, 2013 at 15:37.

Quote Originally Posted by svorkoetter View Post
    That was quick! Which clue did you use?

So, if you want Vlad, PM me your mailing address.

You had written down some headings on the third last picture, also I could just see that the heading indicator was pointing <090 and figured it was resting on the 060 mark (in that first picture with the wind farm) that you had written down.

Sending you a PM now

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodtkr View Post
    You must be one busy dude keeping up with everything, obviously a type-A personality.
    I find myself with way more things that I want to do than I have time to do. And for some reason, I like writing about them all too. Keeps me busy (and out of trouble). I'm always somewhat surprised that not everyone has as many interests, although I have often encountered (on-line) people who share two or more of mine.
    Johnc240 and Ticonderoga like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GuessWho View Post
    You had written down some headings on the third last picture
    The headings listed under the compass? That's just the compass correction card that indicates what the magnetic compass actually reads when the plane is pointed to 000, 030, 060, etc. It's part of the plane, and gets updated during the annual inspection.

also I could just see that the heading indicator was pointing <090 and figured it was resting on the 060 mark (in that first picture with the wind farm) that you had written down.
    Yes, that was the best clue! Other clues are the direction of shadows on the ground (or even the shadow of the watch on my wrist) given the time of day (a benefit of photographing a watch), and the direction the wind turbines were pointing given the wind direction at that time (which can be looked up on-line).

The headings listed under the compass? That's just the compass correction card that indicates what the magnetic compass actually reads when the plane is pointed to 000, 030, 060, etc. It's part of the plane, and gets updated during the annual inspection.
    Ooops, then my guess was more of a guess than I thought!
    Ratfacedgit and OhDark30 like this.

I find myself with way more things that I want to do than I have time to do. And for some reason, I like writing about them all too. Keeps me busy (and out of trouble). I'm always somewhat surprised that not everyone has as many interests, although I have often encountered (on-line) people who share two or more of mine.
    I too have many interests including watches of course, fountain pens(thanks to WUS member Seele), playing piano, unicycling, motorcycling, shooting and reloading ammo, photography and looking to buy my first pro-street 1967 Chevy II Nova .
    I smoke the occasional pipe in vintage pipes from England, Ireland, Italy, Turkey and the US. I sell vintage tobacco as well. I like cigars too.
    "Dyslexics of the world, UNTIE"
    "I tried to think but nothing happens"

Page 18 of 74 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 68 ... LastLast

Thread Information