The travelling Vostok, who wants it? - Page 45
Like Tree1334Likes

Thread: The travelling Vostok, who wants it?

Page 45 of 74 FirstFirst ... 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ... LastLast

Re: The travelling Vostok, who wants it?

Hi guys an update...

I've now read the 'Travelling Vostok' thread from beginning to end (something I should probably have done before putting my hand up to host him!) and I feel I need to apologise to the rest of the watch wearing world especially for those patient members of the WUS community in places other than North America or the UK.

Vlad has been in Australia since 30 Jan 2014 and is now in Canberra for his SECOND visit, this is inexcuseable there are other far more worthy places where he could be rather than here.

If there is any silver lining to this story it's that by happy circumstance (or serendipity) I will be hosting 'Roman' shortly as well so these two well travelled watches will get to meet before they go their separate ways. I intend getting 'Vlad' out of the country BEFORE 30 Jan 2017.

My preferred destination is to send him to someone who requested his visit way back in 2013 and to a part of the globe he hasn't yet visited... I'm going to PM jose-CostaRica

and ask him if he can come to Costa Rica, hopefully after that he will tour S America and who knows, maybe Asia after that?

Regards
    john
    tylehman, joecool and Ticonderoga like this.
    "I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars – the rest I just squandered"
    George Best

The miracles of modern technology...

Jose in Costa Rica got back to me (in under 30 minutes) unfortunately he cannot host Vlad at this time, so I am moving onto the next victim (I mean 'luck recipient"!).

I'll keep you posted

Photos will commence from tomorrow

cheers
    john
    joecool likes this.
    "I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars – the rest I just squandered"
    George Best

i was an early host for Roman here in Texas, and would be happy to host Vlad sometime if he makes it back to the states.
    joecool likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

OK another update

Bear with me here... some basic about Australia for those of you not familiar with the continent. You can skip this if you like and head straight to the pictures below.

Australia is BIG. How big? Almost as large as the Continental USA

check it out here Compare Australia's Size To Other Countries

It's interesting to note that the comparison overlay map they use doesn't even include Tasmania which is probably larger by itself compared to some countries.

Why does this matter?

Well... it's a long story, our population is very small (19m) compared to the size of the country and we are mostly spread out on the eastern seaboard (with some pop centres north, south and west) what this means is that it is still possible to go places in Australia and not see another person for days or even weeks. We sometimes take for granted how much space we have, and how relatively unpolluted this country is.

This brings me to where I live, Canberra.

Canberra is called the 'bush capital' and with good reason, its in the middle of nowhere (as in there was nothing here before they built the city), it has no heavy industry, the elevation is 600m+ and the city was planned from the outset. Canberra's current population is about 300,000

The weather here in Canberra (Australia) has been unseasonably inclement the last few days, we should be in the middle of warming up for summer but instead we are enduring a cold spell 17C (62F) and in addition to being cool its also humid due to the rain! Very unusual, we are used to having variable weather but this is quite strange.

So I thought what sort of pictures would you like to see whilst we are waiting for 'Roman' to arrive. The picture postcard stuff you can google for yourself and although I plan something different for Monday when I go back to work I thought I would post up some shots of the area where I live.

I live in the Tuggeranong Valley, it's about 30kms from the city centre and its where the suburbs meet the 'bush' it's very similar in layout and design to 'The Burb's' the world over but its a pleasant enough place to live and raise kids. Anyhoo on with the pictures!

This is the pond across from my house, local realtors call it 'Pelican Pond' when they are showing buyers around properties but its official (ie Gazetted) name is "Water Quality Pond no 4"... aren't Realtor's funny? They make me laugh.
    Name:  IMG_20161216_174821.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  1.39 MB

Turning 180 degrees we have the 'Brindabella's' a low mountain range that is part of Australia's Great Dividing range, if I marched west from here it's over 70km to the next town.
    Name:  IMG_20161216_175218.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  1.53 MB

We've now marched up the hill at the edge of the valley and climbed vertically about 250m it took about 30 minutes and you'll note that Vlad hasn't budged... yep Vlad is dead. I'm no watchmaker or tinkerer, so at this stage I'm thinking Vlad's joined the ranks of the zombies.
    Name:  IMG_20161216_180908.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  2.09 MB

A shot of the valley from N to SE noting the weather has not improved!
    Name:  IMG_20161216_180904-PANO.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  2.10 MB

From our last position we've moved S about 1km and are approaching the end of the populated end of the valley, this is where the houses stop and it's open country till Cooma (gateway to the Australian Alps). Vlad still asleep.
    Name:  IMG_20161216_182207.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  1.67 MB

Same position slightly different angle the hills in the distance are the Monaro High Plains
    Name:  IMG_20161216_182242.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  1.56 MB

Following the road down you can see the end of surburbia (literally) and the start of the 'bush' or in this case grazing land.
    Name:  IMG_20161216_182513.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  1.70 MB

And the road ends here... a typical Aussie home right on the edge of civilization! Some people say we aren't civilized but I beg to differ!
    Name:  IMG_20161216_182605.jpg
Size:  2.45 MB

No cars... thats how we roll. Only kidding its just dead quiet!
    Name:  IMG_20161216_182815.jpg
Size:  1.55 MB

OK, thats enough for today I hope you enjoy these pictures and I'll follow up with some more next week from work which should be of interest hopefully.
    tylehman, joecool, sq100 and 2 others like this.
    George Best

Oookay...

A quick update

Vlad will be leaving Australia BEFORE 30 Jan 2017, I'm absolutely determined he will recommence his world tour. Hopefully Roman will be here shortly and we'll get some shots of them together.

As stated previously I'm looking for Vlad's next 'lucky recipient' and I'm going back through the forum listings to find people who are NOT from the following places

- North America
    - UK
    - Australia

Unfortunately Jose from Costa Rica is unavailable to host, as is Gekos from Norway so I have moved on down the list...

Hopefully we'll have some success as Vlad is in need of some TLC

The next candidate fits the bill nicely, both geographically and in terms of skillset. See if you can work out who it is?

Regards
    john
    George Best

OK as promised here's some more pictures of Vlad and Canberra hopefully from a viewpoint few will have seen.

The venue is General Bridges memorial which is atop Mt Pleasant at Duntroon which is located on the Royal Military College precinct, although its accessible to the public its not widely publicised or known about.

General Bridges' Grave - Canberra Tracks

The memorial is an easy walk for those of reasonable fitness and Officer Cadets from Duntroon regularly run to the top from the confidence course approximately a kilometre away.

The views are of Lake Burley Griffin, Black Mountain, the Parliamentary triangle, Defence Headquarters, the surrounding suburbs and the airport.

The National Flag and Royal Australian Artillery memorial, Vlad slumming it with my Citizen Pro diver orientation is west.
    Name:  IMG_20161219_161211.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  2.20 MB

In the centre of frame at the edge of the lake is the Carillion (Bell Tower) a gift from the British Government, to the right that in the centre of the ADF precinct is the US/Australian memorial (the spire topped by an eagle) a gift from the US Government after WWII. The hills in the far horizon are the Brindabella's which run south to the Monaro High plains.
    Name:  IMG_20161219_161232.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  2.27 MB

The 'Gunners' memorial...
    Name:  IMG_20161219_161256.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  1.87 MB

Another shot to the west turning slight north to show Black Mountain Tower in the distance.
    Name:  IMG_20161219_161433.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  2.26 MB

Looking south we can see the Brindabella's marching southward towards Australia's Alps (way over the horizon).
    Name:  IMG_20161219_161442.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  1.78 MB

The two ancient cannons guard the memorial itself
    Name:  IMG_20161219_161522.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  2.17 MB

Well that's it for today

Vlad's tour of duty in Canberra is almost over, we are just waiting for 'Roman' to arrive for some fraternal photo's and then both will rejoin their world journeys.

Regards
    john
    George Best

An update

Liahim from St Petersburg has agreed to host Vlad, this is good news for the following reasons

1. He's going 'home'... ok not home but you get the idea
    2. Liahim is a watchmaker (according to his profile) and Vlad needs an overhaul
    3. It hopefully kicks off a new leg of his world tour away from the anglo centric nations

Regards
    john
    joecool, congo and Ticonderoga like this.
    George Best

An update...

Roman has arrived, he comes well packaged in his own travel wallet and a whole heap of bits and pieces that people have included. It made me feel sorry for poor old Vlad...

So after the holidays when the boys go their separate ways Vlad will have a better case to travel in ,and I will include some things for him to show for his extended stay in Australia.

cheers
    john
    congo and joecool like this.
    George Best

An update

I have posted a picture of Roman and Vlad together in 'Romans' thread.

Here's a picture of the two of them together.

Name:  IMG_20161223_170333.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  1.48 MB

Vlad is in his new travel container, I am just waiting on Liahim to forward me his address in St Petersburg so I can get him on his way!

Regards
    john
    Last edited by Barry the Wino; January 3rd, 2017 at 06:11. Reason: photo attachment fixed
    joecool and Ticonderoga like this.
    George Best

Barry it appears the photo attachment isn't working.

Page 45 of 74 FirstFirst ... 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ... LastLast

Thread Information