The travelling Vostok, who wants it? - Page 50
Like Tree1334Likes

Thread: The travelling Vostok, who wants it?

Page 50 of 74 FirstFirst ... 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ... LastLast

Re: The travelling Vostok, who wants it?

I've followed this thread and the Roman thread for quite a while now. Even though Vlad has been on his travels for more than two years longer than Roman, he's been to far fewer places. Roman (in two years) had about 55 visits at an average visit of about 26 days per host. Poor ole Vlad got lost for more than two years in Australia and has averaged only one visit every 2 months and a week (~ 9 weeks each hosting).

The few folks who didn't follow through with Vlad didn't seem to be regular visitors to this thread but instead seemed to happen upon it and thought it was a great idea at the time, but didn't invest as much effort as many of us would. Reminds me of so many Christmas puppy dog purchases that turn into unwanted pets a year or two later.

Vlad spent more than 1/2 of his time with only two hosts. 2 years and 4 months between two guys deprived a lot of other hosts the opportunity to share.

The OP made the rules that each Vlad host can select whomever they want to send him to next. I would only encourage that as each of us select the next participant, we give fair value to those who check in, inquire, and most of all, express a desire to host. It should have been no surprise, that folks who had never posted to this thread were selected as hosts and then failed to post updates. If they didn't have time to post before they got him, we shouldn't be surprised if they continue in the same manner.

And I hate to say this but, if you can't afford postage to send him to his next host, please don't volunteer. It seemed that Vlad couldn't get off the southern continent because some hosts were unable (or unwilling) to provide postage to an international destination.

I'm very keen to see Vlad, to share my town, to pass him along and to enjoy his future travels and to learn more about other WIS folks and to see their towns from their eyes.. And I'll be tickled pink if we're still reading about his exploits in ten years!
    Last edited by Ticonderoga; May 20th, 2017 at 22:58.
    tylehman, mroatman and Cafe Latte like this.
    Wife: Don't you have enough watches?
    Me: Don't you have enough earrings?
    Wife: So, you're saying that watches are jewelry for Men?
    Me: That's exactly what I'm saying.
    Wife: Let's go shopping.

And that's how I got my last watch...

YES! Great news :)
    Ticonderoga likes this.

I received word from Kev80e that Vlad has been posted to Spain. I'll be keeping an eye on the mailbox

In reading through this thread, I saw that there was a LOT of interest in hosting early on but it seems (to my eye at least) to have died off. And so, I'm putting out the call:

Who wants to host Vlad?

We would like to bounce him around Europe a bit. So far, he's only been to Spain and the UK. Anyone else in Europe interested in playing host? So far I'm in contact with congo who wants to host in July (he's going on holiday & wants to take Vlad for a trip down south) but I've received no other interest otherwise. MunichJoe, if you're reading this: check your email inbox.

After the EU, we have had interest expressed in the US and Singapore. While Vlad has been to the US, I don't think he's yet been to Asia.

I made up a quick Powerpoint map of (roughly) where Vlad has been and how much time he's had in each location.

If you're interested in hosting, please speak up!

Name:  Vlad as of May 2017.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  123.1 KB
    Last edited by Ticonderoga; May 27th, 2017 at 00:03.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I decided to send out an "extra" Komandirskie that I have acquired through happenstance - I hope that it will run in parallel with this and the Roman thread (I'm also posting this message in that thread). I put it in the Public Forum - I hope it will pique some interest for this thread and also for f10.

Commander Yuri, world travelling Russian watch - who wants to host him?
    sq100 likes this.

Just arrived:

Name:  DSC02464.JPG
Views: 129
Size:  416.8 KB
    kev80e likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ticonderoga View Post
    I've followed this thread and the Roman thread for quite a while now. Even though Vlad has been on his travels for more than two years longer than Roman, he's been to far fewer places. Roman (in two years) had about 55 visits at an average visit of about 26 days per host. Poor ole Vlad got lost for more than two years in Australia and has averaged only one visit every 2 months and a week (~ 9 weeks each hosting).

The few folks who didn't follow through with Vlad didn't seem to be regular visitors to this thread but instead seemed to happen upon it and thought it was a great idea at the time, but didn't invest as much effort as many of us would. Reminds me of so many Christmas puppy dog purchases that turn into unwanted pets a year or two later.

Vlad spent more than 1/2 of his time with only two hosts. 2 years and 4 months between two guys deprived a lot of other hosts the opportunity to share.

The OP made the rules that each Vlad host can select whomever they want to send him to next. I would only encourage that as each of us select the next participant, we give fair value to those who check in, inquire, and most of all, express a desire to host. It should have been no surprise, that folks who had never posted to this thread were selected as hosts and then failed to post updates. If they didn't have time to post before they got him, we shouldn't be surprised if they continue in the same manner.

And I hate to say this but, if you can't afford postage to send him to his next host, please don't volunteer. It seemed that Vlad couldn't get off the southern continent because some hosts were unable (or unwilling) to provide postage to an international destination.

I'm very keen to see Vlad, to share my town, to pass him along and to enjoy his future travels and to learn more about other WIS folks and to see their towns from their eyes.. And I'll be tickled pink if we're still reading about his exploits in ten years!
    Very good point re the postage, I am also a hifi nut and I got involved in a travelling tape (cassette) which was great fun, but I could have bought another tape deck with what it cost me to post the tapes on as Aus post is expensive. All the same my tapes were posted in a few days. People should not hold on to the watch the fun for everyone is seeing were Vlad gets too.
    Chris
    Ticonderoga likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cafe Latte View Post
    Very good point re the postage, I am also a hifi nut and I got involved in a travelling tape (cassette) which was great fun, but I could have bought another tape deck with what it cost me to post the tapes on as Aus post is expensive. All the same my tapes were posted in a few days. People should not hold on to the watch the fun for everyone is seeing were Vlad gets too.
    Chris
    Really, how much can a 200 gram watch case cost to ship overseas? You can see the package in the pic above, its not big at all.

Wanted to open the package when it arrived but had other things to do. Finally got it open; looks no worse for travel:

Name:  DSC02466.JPG
Views: 127
Size:  603.9 KB

Vlad with the newest member of the family, Yuri:

Name:  DSC02468.JPG
Views: 124
Size:  762.5 KB

With some Russian friends that I've recently accumulated. This modding thing is addictive!

Name:  DSC02491.JPG
Views: 124
Size:  971.5 KB

Hi, I don't remember when, and/or in which post but I showed my interest in hosting Vlad.
    I'm from Portugal

If you decide it's a nice place to send it, give me a heads up and I will be very happy.

Miguel

Sent from my Mi 4i using Tapatalk
    Ticonderoga likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ticonderoga View Post
    Really, how much can a 200 gram watch case cost to ship overseas? You can see the package in the pic above, its not big at all.
    I think it was around £7 or £8 . I don't think it's always the cost but time . Anyways glad he arrived safely.
    ​I'm afraid one day I will die and my wife will sell my watches for what I told her I paid for them.

Page 50 of 74 FirstFirst ... 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ... LastLast