The travelling Vostok, who wants it? - Page 6
Like Tree1316Likes

Thread: The travelling Vostok, who wants it?

Page 6 of 72 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 56 ... LastLast

Re: The travelling Vostok, who wants it?

Quote Originally Posted by OhDark30 View Post
    Attachment 948638
    Here's why I signed up to this - the perfect excuse to visit the Royal Navy Submarine Museum

Attachment 948647
    eat your heart out, Panerai! The Vostok in the cockpit of an Italian torpedo sub

Attachment 948653
    A German WW2 Bieber one man sub
    There's just something so appropriate about a Vostok being shown off in the presence of Italian and German military equipment, especially from WW2. Although I do have to say that the Panerai watches were about the only Italian stuff in WW2 that was actually any good.

Seiko
    5 Military Automatic SNK803K2 * Wenger Standard Issue XL * Raketa "Polar Bear" cal. 2609.NA
    Vostok Amphibia automatic, 31j * Vostok Amphibia сделано в СССР, manual-wind
    Vostok
    Komandirskie ЗАКАЗ МО СССР, manual-wind * Vostok Komandirskie Submarine Commander, manual-wind

Vostok
    Komandirskie 1945-1995 commemorative, manual-wind *
    Vostok 5/6 1963-2013 commemorative Amphibia
    Moscow Classic Navigator, 3602/03111102, Molnija 3602

The travelling Vostok, who wants it?

Cheers, pyjujiop.
    Unfortunately the Soviet display was a bit underwhelming

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359183549.852234.jpg
Views: 786
Size:  84.9 KB

Since this pic was taken they've replaced the sub pic with a fairly dull map, and the uniforms are down to a cap and a t-shirt, so I didn't get a pic that was worth posting

Right, to the Post Office and I'll hand you over to demag
    Last edited by OhDark30; January 26th, 2013 at 08:08.
    DO NOT put sales verbiage in your signature.

This is rapidly becoming my favorite thread on wus.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Well Vlad the Vostok turned up safe and well this morning after spending some time with OhDark30.

We went out and did some sightseeing and luckily just beat the weather before it turned rough.

[IMG]http:

Above: Chatting to a few old relatives.

Name:  492px-Blue_plaque_Soho_Foundry.jpg
Views: 730
Size:  72.5 KB

Above: James Watt's Foundry in Smethwick, England. It was here that he built his huge steam engines at the start of the industrial revolution.

Above: Directly over the road from the foundry is a piece of land called the Black Patch where travellers and gypsies used to camp. New found evidence suggests one Charles Chaplin may have been born here, the son of a travelling family.

Above: On top of Barr Beacon, north east of Birmingham. It is claimed there is no higher point to the east until the Ural Mountains.
    The monument on top is being renovated. The second view is looking towards Rowley Hills about ten miles to the west as the storm comes roaring in. It was certainly windy on the top!

Above: The left (fuzzy) picture is also looking west towards the Wrekin, an old volcano about 20 miles away. It's the blurry blob on the horizon!

Above: Looking north east towards Lichfield and Derby. Midway between the tree and the right edge of the picture it's just possible to make out the 877 feet television masts near Sutton Coldfield.
    Last edited by demag; January 29th, 2013 at 22:17.
    Dave.

Today was a little disappointing. We still managed to get out and about though. We went for a drive to Coalbrookdale and Ironbridge Gorge in Shropshire about 25 miles away. The cradle of the industrial revolution. I haven't been there for years and things seem to have changed in that time. Consequently I drove round the area for half an hour before actually getting right down into the Gorge only to find many roads closed. I think this was due to the River Severn being very close to bursting its banks into the town. I wanted to walk up on to the Ironbridge itself. The first one ever constructed in the world by the ironmaster Abraham Darby in 1779. However the closest I got was about half a mile away. Sorry Folks.

Above: L/H shot is the start of the steep drop down into Coalbrookdale Where the Darby family built their ironworks. R/H is the swollen River Severn

Above: The Iron Bridge can be seen in the distance in both of these shots. The road through the Gorge runs along the left bank and the steel sheets can be seen lying there. These were in the middle of the road presumably ready to be positioned as flood defences. You can see the water is lapping the edge of the road.

Above: The wet building is the Museum where I parked as the road was closed just behind me.

Above: A couple more shots of the river.

Above: Looking back towards Coalbrookdale.

Map!

Tomorrow I have to go to Banbury about 60 miles south for a meeting. If its not too late finishing I'll try and get a few more pics.
    Last edited by demag; January 30th, 2013 at 22:21.
    Dave.

Nice photos and some history to boot.

Who would have thought a simple posting can inspire so many to spend time and take photos and tell a little about their corner of the world?

I look forward to more and where it will end up next.
    "Dyslexics of the world, UNTIE"
    "I tried to think but nothing happens"

Yes send me a pm if you want to take a few pics with Vlad. I'm sure there's a lot more to be seen of the UK yet.
    jose-CostaRica likes this.
    Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by pyjujiop View Post
    There's just something so appropriate about a Vostok being shown off in the presence of Italian and German military equipment, especially from WW2. Although I do have to say that the Panerai watches were about the only Italian stuff in WW2 that was actually any good.
    Many Italian wartime materials in WWII were in fact low quality (that's true for many other armies, though) or obsolete, but there were many niceties and even some excellencies. Some fighter planes were good (but too expensive to be useful in numbers) and some ships were top-notch (think to the Zara class heavy cruisers). Some weapons were good also (think to the excellent Beretta MAB light machinegun, a little expensive maybe, but not as expensive as a Thompson). Some systems were revolutionary (the SLC/Chariot is by far the best example, another is the often debated Pugliese cylinder) and there were other isolated technological gems (the EC3 Gufo radar set was surprisingly good, but only 12 existed in 1943, enough to raise the interest of the Germans for the machine). Notice Panerai was not on this short list, it was a truly nice watch manifacture, but built basically recased Rolex (or some other special Swiss movement if complications, like 8-days operations before rewinding , were required).
    OhDark30 likes this.

I am just about done with Vlad now. I have a few more pictures to post of his visit to the UK Midlands. I have had an offer from dasmi to take him on from me in California. If anyone this side of the pond wants him first you need to shout quick otherwise he will be winging his way back to the States very soon.

Sent from my M2 using Tapatalk 2
    Dave.

Here are my last few pictures with Vlad. Hopefully next week he will be off to warmer climes in sunny California to seek out more exciting adventures.

Above: A local brew. Very nice too.

Above: A few shots of the Warwickshire countryside.

Above left: Wednesbury Rugby Club about two miles from where I live hosts the tallest goal posts in the world at just under 135 feet high!
    Above right: At the local superstore with a dramatic sky.
    Last edited by demag; February 2nd, 2013 at 21:30.
    OhDark30 and mitadoc like this.
    Dave.

Page 6 of 72 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 56 ... LastLast

Thread Information