Trusted sellers?

Thread: Trusted sellers?

Trusted sellers?

I note the advice regarding RUSALES on ebay, duly noted but can anyone offer up any bay dealers from the former USSR who CAN be trusted to sell watches that have not been butchered or generally wrecked? I have studied a few today and as a newcomer find it increasingly difficult to know who has "made a mistake with the listing - sorry" to those that are plainly making one decent looking watch from 2 others but in doing so ruining it!. Sorry if this sounds harsh but as a potential buyer, its hard to buy with confidence. As always, all advice taken and thanks in advance

Re: Trusted sellers?

I know how you feel. I am in the same place as you, its hard to know. I guess this applies to the whole ebay-system as a whole. I found this nice looking bulova accutron thats supposed to be nos, but it looks alittle to new-made to be true. So right now I'm looking trying to find the model somewhere else to compare with. The same goes with all other watches..just trying to find something to compare with and make your choice to buy or not from there.

Quote Originally Posted by brianc View Post
    I note the advice regarding RUSALES on ebay, duly noted but can anyone offer up any bay dealers from the former USSR who CAN be trusted to sell watches that have not been butchered or generally wrecked? I have studied a few today and as a newcomer find it increasingly difficult to know who has "made a mistake with the listing - sorry" to those that are plainly making one decent looking watch from 2 others but in doing so ruining it!. Sorry if this sounds harsh but as a potential buyer, its hard to buy with confidence. As always, all advice taken and thanks in advance

If you stay away from these, it is half the battle:

ayiluy
    collectibles_ua
    liobayn
    olmax_de
    ovt_group
    tiger_1970
    domrabota
    ua-project
    wandolec
    watchspirit
    germes_1979
    taras2001
    aleksandr1767
    mvd0807
    cobaltblue188
    kingramors
    harley_1978,

Some of them sell almost only fakes and falsified watches,
    some sell them occasionally. I for my part stay away from
    them altogether.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I've had some good deals with 'yuser96'

Quote Originally Posted by brianc View Post
    I think there are two separate issues here:

1) How to avoid buying a franken-watch?
    2) How to avoid fraud when buying on ebay?

The rusales thread is about the second issue, but your question seems to be about the first issue.

Regarding the first issue, if you're ever uncertain about whether a watch is original or not, post a picture here and you'll get plenty of expert advice. The fact is: these sellers rarely try to fool anyone into thinking their franken watches are original. If they did, they wouldn't be so easy to spot. With time, you'll be able to identify them yourself.

Regarding the second issue, the best source of information about the reliability of an ebay seller is their feedback score. You'll get quantitative scores and comments from buyers.

The point is, don't confuse the two issues. I've had good experiences purchasing genuine watches from Ukrainian sellers like collectibles_ua. But, I increased my odds of a successful transaction by carefully identifying the watch as genuine and researching the seller's feedback.

Aa always, much appreciated crop of answers which go a long way to helping me. I note the list of "best avoided" and the couple that seem to have provided a decent service. Regarding feedback on ebay, this is great in theory BUT the problem ensues when a seller sells a dodgy watch to an unsuspecting buyer who receives the watch in good time etc but is unaware of the fact that it is not correct. The seller will no doubt get pos feedback beacuse the deal went smoothly...a few of those and the feedback looks impressive. I have recently taken issue with a seller who offered a watch as made by 1MWF which by showing pics of the movement, plainly was not. When this was pointed out he politely changed his listing to show the correct maker so a small victory I guess. So thanks again and in future, I think I will take up the siggestion of posting a pic on here for others to comment - nice to know that there are folk out there willing to help

Hi brian,

I am in a similar situation to you with regards the minefield of buying watches on ebay, and if you haven't done so already you may be interested in my recent experiences, particularly my carefully worded post regarding it's final resolution. I agree with you completely with the point about feedback, as I was lulled into a false sense of security by a seller's high percentage. I also then compounded the problem for others by leaving a positive, based purely on the sellers behavior. I felt unable to do anything else because it would have involved second guessing the sellers level of knowledge, which I was not prepared to do.

I find that trying to work out if a watch is "straight" or a "bitsa" can be very difficult. I am mainly interested in Vostoks at the moment and I find the number of possible "legal" combinations to be bewildering. When you have limited knowledge trying to guess if some of the more obscure watches are genuine is completely impossible, although I now feel that I know enough to buy examples of the more common models with a good chance of success.

I have just bought two of these from a seller in the USA for £24 the pair including shipping, and they are both absolutely identical to the one in the photo. The watches are both boxed, pristine, supposedly resulting from a clearout after a bereavement (q.v.), although it will be a while before I take anyone's *bay description seriously again. I wont know for sure how straight they are until I get them in my hand.

If you think the advice from another novice is any good to you I will pass on the following tips;

Search this forum for useful information. I made the initial mistake that I did not realise at first that the correct terminology is "franken", and when I searched for "fake" it did not get the result I required.

Michele's site is an excellent reference, and there are also some others here, here, here, here, and here, although at least one of these shows a Komandirskie in an Albatros case (which was one of the factors leading to my downfall), so pay attention. See if you can spot it . I regard Michele's site as the final arbiter of truth and wisdom until I learn more for myself.

There are A LOT of watches that I don't want to buy on *bay. At the moment if a seller has ONE watch that is incorrect I stay away completely because I don't know enough to do anything else. I do an advanced search, worldwide, with the following exclusion string;

andrew-ua rarewatch4 sovietarmystuff collectibles_ua magnety222 yuser96 kobtsev rusales light_step fromukraine

There are others but you can only exclude ten at once. This reduces the 500 or so watches considerably, and after I have picked through the rest there are maybe a dozen or less that I will be interested in. Bearing this in mind, if you don't exclude 97% of the Vostoks when you look on the bay then maybe you should be more harsh.

Finally, buy watches that you like. Ultimately it is going to cost you money to learn. If you buy a bitsa, but it only cost £20-£30 or so, and it's a good looking watch, well so what? You've got a watch you like and maybe some spares for a more deserving example later on. In future I will ask others more knowledgable than myself if I'm really not sure, but at the moment I'm quite happy to make some decisions based on my own opinion. It's probably the only way to learn.

b0r15

Thread Information