Vostok Amphibia Rave Review
Like Tree120Likes

Thread: Vostok Amphibia Rave Review

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Off Topic post Vostok Amphibia Rave Review

Privet!

So today was unusual because I received due to some cosmic coincidence 2 watches from respectively Japan and Russia.
    The Vostok came in the afternoon a couple of hours later and I wasn't sure I would get much enjoyment out of it because the former one was my dream watch.
    This isn't my first Russian watch, I had about 4 of them albeit all being chrome plated. I read the article about the anatomy of the Amphibias and it inspired me too get one myself as I find the construction genius.
    Other than that I always wanted to get more substance to the "hobby" and try playing with modding, movements...

The brushing on the top is very well executed. The bezel is made of stainless steel and has a steep incline that leads to the acrylic high domed crystal. While the base looks quite chunky it blends in nicely forming a sort of a pyramid .
    You notice this immediately when looking from an angle at the watch. Due to this shape it wears almost like a thin watch and fits nicely under any sleeve!

IMO it looks a little bit like an U-boat or space station that has a window (which is the dial looking outwards) and the wall (brushed case surface). Just amazing!

L2L is fairly conservative at around 46mm making it wearable even for tiny wrists.
    The lines on the case are sharp and forming the lugs looking downwards.

The dial itself has carefully selected colors and gives a Panerai feeling. You get golden and blue hands on a dark dial with white markers. Contrast is great and the gold makes it more dressy.
    I am really glad that they went for russian on the dial. I would also like to see more japanese or german watches printed with text on the respective languages. "Hergestellt in Deutschland" sounds so much better

The crown operation is new to me. You screw it out and it wobbles around. I read that this has a functional background before so I was not concerned and find it actually refreshing. I should look that up!

Caseback is a scuba dude with text that says: amphibia - special series - chistophol factory, all in russian.

It comes on a rubber band that I first thought about changing but oh my god is it comfortable! I just wish it was 1 mm wider and I wouldn't have to wear it Sean Connery style

Last, I would like to say thanks for Meranom for the fast and problem free shipping. PS: He didn't send the candy with the watch, I buy those every time I am over. (We should ask him to do so though hehe)

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 674
Size:  2.22 MB
    Name:  2.jpg
Views: 678
Size:  2.04 MB
    Name:  3.jpg
Views: 671
Size:  2.34 MB
    Name:  11.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  2.60 MB
    Slm643, borgil, joecool and 12 others like this.

Banned

Re: Vostok Amphibia Rave Review

That is a Beauty! Very nice Indeed...

Sent from my K92 using Tapatalk
    Seikogi likes this.

Nice watch and nice review! I have one of these Amphibia watches and the wobbly crown freaked me out! I'm just careful with it, no issues yet...

The Russian candy was a nice touch :)
    Seikogi likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

EPK

Good luck now that you're inflicted. It's a disease of sorts. I'm coping with it as best I can.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Seikogi likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by EPK View Post
    Good luck now that you're inflicted. It's a disease of sorts. I'm coping with it as best I can.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Maybe its therapy from the work world, idk :D

Playing around with watch hands, dials, bezels, etc. and all that at somewhat "normal" prices on ebay.

IMO less stressful than looking / hunting for new pieces as I have been in the past.

My Amphibia says hello :) my modding consists of adding the bracelet.

Name:  20190123_155812_resized.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  80.9 KB

May I ask where you purchased this one? I've been thinking of picking up another one.
    Seikogi, Slm643 and maguirejp like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jman3566 View Post
    My Amphibia says hello :) my modding consists of adding the bracelet.

May I ask where you purchased this one? I've been thinking of picking up another one.

From Meranom, he has SE models as well as regular ones + spare and modding parts and other russian watches.

FYI: https://meranom.com/en/amphibian-se/...se-710b32.html

Never tried mesh bracelets before, I am tempted :D

Congrats on the watch and nice review. Regarding those straps, I had one on my SE and it was very comfortable, but man does a lot of stuff stick to it. I ended up keeping it on a NATO because that thing was like a magnet for dust and lint.

Quote Originally Posted by vintorez View Post
    Congrats on the watch and nice review. Regarding those straps, I had one on my SE and it was very comfortable, but man does a lot of stuff stick to it. I ended up keeping it on a NATO because that thing was like a magnet for dust and lint.
    Tks :) , I read about this and will see how it develops. I'll probably add a 22mm Perlon strap for it as I love those things.

I don't know if this exists, but I will also search for a spray that adds a non dust attracting invisible layer as the strap is really comfortable..
    vintorez likes this.

Very nice looking watch. The slanted smooth bezel shows off the domed crystal quite nicely.
    Seikogi likes this.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information