Vostok Amphibian - Mainspring broken? - Page 2
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Vostok Amphibian - Mainspring broken?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Vostok Amphibian - Mainspring broken?

Yes, something is up with the watch and needs examining. Perhaps the watch has several problems?

As for repair / service cost; to do a throughout proper service, from a total strip to fully re-assembled takes me about 4-5 hrs, this includes pegging of all the jewels, demagnetizing every single part, etc etc etc. Next to that one uses expensive lubrication and cleaning fluids, no replacement parts included. Even with very low hourly wages of say US$10 for a skilled service that quickly exceed the price of a new Vostok. Never mind the extreme Western, or rather here in the EU, postage cost for sending forwards & backwards, which comes on top of the service cost.
    I for sure can't compete with for example Ukrainian watch-repairers and always wonder how they do it? I do not even attempt. For me it would be purely labor of love. Also never mind if on top of these low wages, thanks to computerization and open financial institutions, the taxman knocks on the door ......

It also gets to show how extremely cheap these Vostoks are. You get a lot of bang for your buck, unparalleled compared to any other brand !

On the positive side; go to the WRT-forum and learn how watch repair is done. You have a nice casualty in your hands and an unique opportunity to learn a wonderful new hobby

Success with deciding what to do next
    Last edited by EndeavourDK; June 11th, 2019 at 14:36.
    FBPB likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Odessa200 View Post
    The only thing I would add to the above, the spring supposed to slip a bit and be caught by the break. If the outer end of the spring is damaged or the wrong oil was used to oil the spring, once the spring starts slipping is slips too much and basically unwinds itself. I had this on a few Vostoks. New spring fixes the issue
    Yes thatís what Iím thinking too as I mentioned in the first post about the click spring. It happened to me once one of my customers watch (itís a different model), but this Hector Vostok watch got me interested as he mentioned stopped every two hours. This also tell me the lubrications is either wrong or completely dried up which cause more friction or quite simply a cheap lubrications which doesnít last long. A bit of debris can cause it too.

Never less, if Hector is agreed for me to do the service for his watch, I will post the update results of his watch on this thread once I found the problem, so you all can learn whatís going on

Mat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    EndeavourDK likes this.
    My advice- buy a watch that pleases you. Don't let anyone judge or tell you what to wear. Good cheap and expensive watches are no different between them. Both still can tell the time.

Ok, as an update, my Amphibian ran perfectly all last evening/night and as I wore it for most of the day today. It was on time (did not lose any noticeable seconds/minutes). I am now thinking that the "stopping" is from a lack of use and "cold" oils. However, as I do not know the types of oils used at the factory, I would be interested to know your opinions on whether it needs an "oil service" after two years (or however old it may be since manufacturing). Thanks, Hector
    -----

Watches are like whisky. 1 is good.. 2 is too many.... 3 are not enough........

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by FBPB View Post
    Ok, as an update, my Amphibian ran perfectly all last evening/night and as I wore it for most of the day today. It was on time (did not lose any noticeable seconds/minutes). I am now thinking that the "stopping" is from a lack of use and "cold" oils. However, as I do not know the types of oils used at the factory, I would be interested to know your opinions on whether it needs an "oil service" after two years (or however old it may be since manufacturing). Thanks, Hector
    Its for you to decide. Sorry Mat, I do not know your rates, but I am guessing, they maybe a bit pricy in relation to the price of the watch. If the watch has some additional sentimental value to the owner, then the answer to the questions is YES, do service now before some excessive wear starts. 2-3 years is the norm for the mechanical watches. If there is no additional value and this is just a watch: keep using it till it stops or starts misbehaving beyond what you are willing to tolerate. Then replace it.

The official Vostok recommended service interval for their modern movements is about 10 years. It's hard to say what the correct service interval should be. I've seen a Rolex running for 30 years (daily used) without a service and after a service it still ran 100% and excellent numbers on the timegrapher ...... but such a very long period I would surely not recommend !
    If proper oils are used, 2-3 years is IMHO a bit overdone. I have given my Rolex every 10 years and it's 1000%.
    A happy medium .....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by EndeavourDK; June 12th, 2019 at 07:44.
    FBPB likes this.

Its for you to decide. Sorry Mat, I do not know your rates, but I am guessing, they maybe a bit pricy in relation to the price of the watch. If the watch has some additional sentimental value to the owner, then the answer to the questions is YES, do service now before some excessive wear starts. 2-3 years is the norm for the mechanical watches. If there is no additional value and this is just a watch: keep using it till it stops or starts misbehaving beyond what you are willing to tolerate. Then replace it.
    Mat's price is EXTREMELY competitive (I won't quote it here, but his Ebay page shows his rates), it's only the shipping costs on my part that edge it towards the cost of a new one.

I've still not made a decision on what to do. Will keep you all updated!
    -----

Watches are like whisky. 1 is good.. 2 is too many.... 3 are not enough........

Quote Originally Posted by FBPB View Post
    Mat's price is EXTREMELY competitive (I won't quote it here, but his Ebay page shows his rates), it's only the shipping costs on my part that edge it towards the cost of a new one.

I've still not made a decision on what to do. Will keep you all updated!
    I agree. Some watches would outperform and will run and run and run. If the price is acceptable I would say ‘service’. Especially if the watch was already misbehaving.
    As far as 10 y for service at a daily use... I am skeptical. Attaching an image of a Soviet watch paperwork. You can see 2-3 years between service recommendation. And I would speculate that the soviet time watches are a bit better than what is produced now. Please do not throw stones at me 🙂 just what I think. I would say you must service every 5 years at daily use. As far as Rolex: these are quite different from what we are discussing here. Quality, material, tuning that was done allows them to outperform most of the watches. I have my Tag running for 20 y w/o any service and do not plan on doing one till it stops. Then I will buy a new one 🙂
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Odessa200; June 12th, 2019 at 13:35.
    EndeavourDK likes this.

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but if it gets to the point where it's severely unreliable and a service is too expensive, you can always just buy a new movement and swap it out instead of replacing the whole watch. Meranom has free shipping after $39 spent, and a 2416B movement is exactly $39.

I agree that it has something to do with the click. If the mainspring was broken or slipping it wouldn't hold a wind or if it did, it wouldn't unwind completely when it reached a certain tension. To me it sounds like once you wind it to a certain tension the click can't hold the force and possibly slips out of alignment with the ratchet wheel allowing it to spin and release all of the tension in the spring. I'd say the click is either worn/damaged or loose. My money would be on loose. It basically rides too high and the gears don't mesh with the click. Once the ratchet is spinning there's no way the click can stop it until the spring is completely unwound at which point it can grab again. Wind it up and the process repeats itself.

Placing the watch face down allows gravity to hold the click in the correct position against the ratchet which allows the mainspring to use the the tension in the wind and the watch keeps running

Quote Originally Posted by EndeavourDK View Post
    The official Vostok recommended service interval for their modern movements is about 10 years. It's hard to say what the correct service interval should be. I've seen a Rolex running for 30 years (daily used) without a service and after a service it still ran 100% and excellent numbers on the timegrapher ...... but such a very long period I would surely not recommend !
    If proper oils are used, 2-3 years is IMHO a bit overdone. I have given my Rolex every 10 years and it's 1000%.
    A happy medium .....
    I've always read that as the life expectancy of the watch not the service interval. It's term OF not term BEFORE service. The average "in service" life of the watch is 10 years
    EndeavourDK likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information